Children and Sacrament blasphemy?

that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son

Hi,

My name is Jeremy and I am LDS.

To day I will be talking about sacrament and children.

Let me first say this:

We declare before every other church that baptism of children before the age of accountability is an abomination before the lord.

I am writing this because I feel the BAPTISM and SACRAMENT are equal. One is just as important as the other. And they should be done together in my opinion. I think we should use wisdom in making this decision. I feel the greatest wisdom is to do this in order.

To me it looks odd that we tell other churches to WAIT for baptism and then go ahead with giving the child sacrament as if the child has not waited.

It's pointless because children don't need sacrament or PRACTICE. How hard is it to eat bread and drink water?

Here are some comments that I would like to address:

Sacrament prepares children for the real thing. If this is true then other churches that baptize CHILDREN are right, because baptizing children PREPARES them for the sacrament they will be taking right away.

So that comment seems to make no sense to me. Baptism PREPARES us BEFORE sacrament prepares us. They are of EQUAL importance and should be treated as EQUAL. Thank you for your thoughts tough. (:

2. Church doctorine does not say children should NOT partake of sacrament.

This is TRUE. The church also does not say any thing about the order that a child should become a priest. We institute the ORDER in WISDOM. We should also use WISDOM to know that children need to WAIT till they are accountable before taking a sacred sacrament.

3. Why then do we allow non members to partake of the sacrament? They are also not worthy.

Two fold answer. First thanks to classylady for the first. General authority and not me, has made it clear that taking the sacrament is ok for the unbaptized because it is a representation of the sacrament they will take when they are older. That is his opinion and in other words he is saying that the church will not STOP any one from partaking of the sacrament.

HOWEVER. The church will also not stop you from taking the sacrament if you are a less active and in transgression. It's up to YOU to decide if you are worthy. Or in this case if the child should take it. So Russell M. Nelson in the Ensign, March 1983 is simply saying, we won't stop you.

This does not answer the question of where it's RIGHT it only answers the question of what people THINK. In most cases if you break the word of wisdom no one will do much either. We have to decide to do right.

4. Am I picking a fight?

My purpose of this thread is to give comfort and assurance to those of you choosing not to let children under the age of 8 partake of sacrament.

I try to back all my comments up with scripture and honesty. You can give me input and we can talk. That is what I am here to do. How you PROCESS this thread is YOUR business. You can make me any kind of MONSTER you want. But it's YOUR reality of the IDEA not mine.

I don't let my children partake of sacrament, so don't feel bad. Here is why:

Quote: Elder Dallin H. Oaks

We are not grounded in the wisdom of the world or the philosophies of men-however traditional or respected they may be. Our testimony of Jesus Christ is based on the revelations of God to His prophets and to us individually.

Ensign Jan 2011

What this is saying is that we do not run our church by a tradition system but by wisdom from revelation. So we don't baptize children because we know from the prophets of the Book of Mormon that children under the age 8 are not accountable.

No where is there any doctrine that children under 8 should take sacrament. So to allow sacrament to an unbaptized child is a TRADITION or PHILOSOPHY

Now some will say we prepare children to take sacrament by giving it to them. But this is not a PRACTICE run of blessing the sacrament. It's the REAL sacrament. This FORCES them to partake of the covenant of baptism and they do not require it.

Ask a Mormon this next time he or she brings it up:

Shouldn't we practice BAPTISM too?

Why can't we simply practice sacrament at home with house bread?

Why can't we simply explain the sacrament in primary?

Why give the REAL sacrament to an unprepared child?

What covenants are they renewing, since they don't have any yet?

In truth, the only real answer is that Mormons giving the sacrament to children under 8 are committing a creed or philosophy, since no where in the doctrine of the church does it say children at 8 should not be baptized but SHOULD take the sacrament. Why do it in REVERSE??? It's backwards and confusing. If we are going to give sacrament to children we should be baptizing them since we feel they are ready to partake of the covenant of Jesus Christ!

The TRUE Mormon would teach the child about Jesus as is the roll of the guardian of that child. Teach the child about what baptism is, teach the child about what sacrament is, and then tell the child that he or she must wait till 8 years and baptism and then that child may partake of the sacrament. But to do it BACKWARDS is truely foolish and makes our church look bad.

Here we are telling all the other churches they don't need to baptize children and here we are giving our children the sacrament of Jesus Christ before they need it! If that's not the most backward hypocrisy I have ever heard. Sorry guys :lol:

Here is why we need to stay away from doing things out of order and by our OWN intellect and opinion in GOD's church.

Joseph Smith in History of the church 1:17 states:

Creeds of the churches of that day "were an abomination in his sight"

Now we declare to OTHER churches THEIR creeds are wrong and on the other hand here WE are committing CREEDS that are also an abomination before the lord.

"For I am a God of order"

In conclusion, children obviously should not take of the sacrament. In truth my children will appreciate it a LOT more and it will have a very special meaning for them because they are doing it in ORDER. First baptism THEN partaking of the sacrament.

My children don't need to prepare to take the sacrament by indulging in the REAL sacrament at church an. They are educated right at home on what the sacrament is. My little boy has even practiced the sacrament in the kitchen with store bought bread. It was very sweet to see him bless it and pass it. And I felt wonderful knowing we were not offending the Lord.

If Catholics can manage it then I think that the LDS church can manage it as well. So stand up for your belief to do it in ORDER and if you get questions just send them a link to this page!

Hope this helps.

-Jeremy

What is the sacrament?

Jesus Christ Instituted the Sacrament

“Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to his Apostles, saying, ‘Take, eat’ (Matt. 26:26). ‘This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me’ (Luke 22:19). In a similar manner he took the cup of wine, traditionally diluted with water, said a blessing of thanks for it, and passed it to those gathered about him, saying: ‘This cup is the new testament in my blood,’ ‘which is shed … for the remission of sins.’ ‘This do in remembrance of me.’ …

Renewing Covenants through the Sacrament - Liahona June 2010

Corinthians 11:27-31 –

Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Edited by the_mounts

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing in Church policy that states that children can't participate in the Sacrament. There is even a lesson in the nursery about the Sacrament. They are taught that they take a cup of water and put it back in the tray. They are taught that they don't play with the bread.

Why would we teach our children even at that young age how to treat the Sacrament if we weren't going to be allowed to take it.

I get that children that haven't been baptized have no baptismal covenants to renew. Until the First Presidency comes out making this taboo...no one is disobeying any "rules."

If you want to teach your children differently and not allow them to take the Sacrament until they are baptized, that is your decision as their parent.

But please don't come here and call it blasphemy.

Edited by pam

We are giving children REAL blood and body of Jesus Christ.

Huh? Seriously? They are representations not the real thing.

We are not grounded in the wisdom of the world or the philosophies of men-however traditional or respected they may be. Our testimony of Jesus Christ is based on the revelations of God to His prophets and to us individually.

Ensign Jan 2011

Could you provide a link to this exact quote? I'm looking at the January 2011 Ensign and there is no article by Dallin H. Oaks in it.

Huh? Seriously? They are representations not the real thing.

Even if they were I'm not sure how that'd be a relevant point anyway.

I must stress that every thing I say comes from general authority and makes perfect sense. So don't flame me. They said it not me.

No they didn't. Please quote a General Authority explicitly stating that a child partaking of the sacrament is blasphemous. I note you didn't, what you did was string several quotes together and extrapolated your position from them. Which is fine, we do it all the time, but it makes your attempt to make disagreement with you disagreement with General Authorities flawed.

Interestingly Elder Russel M. Nelson an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ says:

Those conducting the meeting begin by extending a cordial greeting. Detailed announcements are more appropriately handled some other time. Because we invite all to come unto Christ, friends and neighbors are always welcome but not expected to take the sacrament. However, it is not forbidden. They choose for themselves. We hope that newcomers among us will always be made to feel wanted and comfortable. Little children, as sinless beneficiaries of the Lord’s Atonement, may partake of the sacrament as they prepare for covenants that they will make later in life.

Link: Worshiping at Sacrament Meeting - Liahona August 2004

Is he promoting blasphemy?

Edited by Dravin

Even if they were I'm not sure how that'd be a relevant point anyway.

I know you and know the point you are making. I wanted to make sure it was understood that this is not what we as LDS believe as being literal. For those that may be lurking or investigating. :)

I know you and know the point you are making. I wanted to make sure it was understood that this is not what we as LDS believe as being literal. For those that may be lurking or investigating. :)

Fair enough, if nothing else it kinda weakens his ethos.

Hi,

My name is Jeremy and I go to the Mormon Church in Mn.

My purpose of this thread is to give comfort and assurance to those of you choosing not to let children under the age of 8 partake of sacrament.

I know of NO ONE who prevents their children from partaking of the sacrament.

I must stress that every thing I say comes from general authority and makes perfect sense. So don't flame me. They said it not me.

Anybody can say anything and twist it so bad... it's like working with statistics. 86.7% of all statistics are made up.

I don't let my children partake of sacrament and neither should you. So don't feel bad. Here is why:

Ensign Jan 2011

What this is saying is that we do not run our church by a tradition system but by wisdom from revelation. So we don't baptize children because we know from the prophets of the Book of Mormon that children under the age 8 are not accountable.

This specific area of doctrine is mentioned directly in the Book of Mormon and in the Doctrine and Covenants. What YOU are talking about (preventing children from partaking of the sacrament under age of acountability) is mentioned... no where.

No where is there any doctrine that children under 8 should take sacrament. So to allow sacrament to an unbaptized child is a TRADITION or PHILOSOPHY

No where does it say that they should NOT take the sacrament either.

Now some will say we prepare children to take sacrament by giving it to them. But this is not a PRACTICE run of blessing the sacrament. It's the REAL sacrament. We are giving children REAL blood and body of Jesus Christ. This FORCES them to partake of the covenant of baptism and there by they are committing blasphemy, because they do not require it.

This is so twisted. Are you a member of the church? We take the sacrament in rememberance of the broken body & blood of our Savior. Why would we allow non-members to partake of the sacrament? They haven't entered into the waters of baptism yet either.

In truth, the only real answer is that Mormons giving the sacrament to children under 8 are committing blasphemy.

The truth is that anyone who says "Ask a Mormon" isn't one, or doesn't understand that they are one... and therefore is attacking something that they don't understand, or is trying to pick a fight.

Which is it?

The TRUE Mormon would teach the child about Jesus as is the roll of the guardian of that child. Teach the child about what baptism is, teach the child about what sacrament is, and then tell the child that he or she must wait till 8 years and baptism and then that child may partake of the sacrament. But to do it BACKWARDS is truely foolish and makes our church look bad.

No. Doing it your way makes YOU look bad. Posting it in an LDS message board to essentially say that all LDS parents are committing blasphemy by letting their children partake... is borderline insanity and not understanding the gospel.

Here we are telling all the other churches they don't need to baptize children and here we are giving our children the sacrament of Jesus Christ before they need it! If that's not the most backward hypocrisy I have ever heard. Sorry guys :lol:

You're laughing? I'm not.

It gets worse.

Just wait until I'm done with you. :D

This is because the people where not running the church according to revelation given to them but simply doing what ever they wanted in the name of Jesus Christ.

Wow. You're just judge, jury and executioner of all these other churches, aren't you? Can't you just assume that they are doing the best they can with the light and knowledge they have received?

Now we declare to OTHER churches THEIR creeds are wrong and on the other hand here WE are committing CREEDS that are also an abomination before the lord.

We work together with many other churches in many other areas. Articles like this do not foster good inter-faith relations. God is also a God of Love.

In conclusion, children obviously should not take of the sacrament. In truth my children will appreciate it a LOT more and it will have a very special meaning for them because they are doing it in ORDER. First baptism THEN partaking of the sacrament.

Christ said to suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not.

My children don't need to prepare to take the sacrament by indulging in the REAL sacrament at church and commit blasphemy. They are educated right at home on what the sacrament is. My little boy has even practiced the sacrament in the kitchen with store bought bread. It was very sweet to see him bless it and pass it. And I felt wonderful knowing we were not offending the Lord.

Uh... you can practice this I suppose. But this is an imitation of those who hold the priesthood. Isn't this a "blasphemy" using your own words? Isn't this "mocking God" by having children who are not even BAPTIZED to practice blessing, preparing and passing the sacrament?

I'm not judging you. I'm using your logic to twist this to work the way I think.

-Jeremy

What is the sacrament?

“Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to his Apostles, saying, ‘Take, eat’ (Matt. 26:26). ‘This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me’ (Luke 22:19). In a similar manner he took the cup of wine, traditionally diluted with water, said a blessing of thanks for it, and passed it to those gathered about him, saying: ‘This cup is the new testament in my blood,’ ‘which is shed … for the remission of sins.’ ‘This do in remembrance of me.’ …

Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Wow. You've really made an interesting impression by saying that nearly 99.9% of all LDS parents are guilty of blasphemy.

By putting yourself above the Apostles and Prophets the Lord has called, you are putting yourself under a lot of Pride and being Judgmental.

While pride and being judgmental can and are sins in and of themselves, it is NOT a sin to teach and have your children partake of the sacrament.

This is the responsibility of every parent to teach our children the importance of the sacrament.

We partake in rememberance of Him, His brokenness and His sacrifice for us. We don't need to be of ANY MINIMUM AGE to remember the Savior.

I feel sorry for your children who are told that they cannot participate in the sacrament and remember the Savior with the rest of the congregation.

Edited by skippy740

Hi,

My name is Jeremy and I go to the Mormon Church in Mn.

I don't let my children partake of sacrament and neither should you. So don't feel bad. Here is why:

Ensign Jan 2011

Now some will say we prepare children to take sacrament by giving it to them. But this is not a PRACTICE run of blessing the sacrament. It's the REAL sacrament. We are giving children REAL blood and body of Jesus Christ. This FORCES them to partake of the covenant of baptism and there by they are committing blasphemy, because they do not require it.

In truth, the only real answer is that Mormons giving the sacrament to children under 8 are committing blasphemy.

It gets worse.

This is because the people where not running the church according to revelation given to them but simply doing what ever they wanted in the name of Jesus Christ.

My children don't need to prepare to take the sacrament by indulging in the REAL sacrament at church and commit blasphemy. They are educated right at home on what the sacrament is. My little boy has even practiced the sacrament in the kitchen with store bought bread. It was very sweet to see him bless it and pass it. And I felt wonderful knowing we were not offending the Lord.

-Jeremy

What is the sacrament?

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with what you are saying here. Personally, I believe that having our children under the age of 8 participate in taking of the sacrament is a great way to prepare them for understanding the significance of it & for teaching reverence for during the sacrament. It is a great way for preparing children to appreciate & love the sacredness of the sacrament. Each of my 4 daughters were taught at a very early age how & why we partake of the sacrament. They were taught the importance of reverance & respect during the blessing & passing of it. This prepared them to love & appreciate the sacrament more so when they were baptized. I know no where in LDS doctorine that states children under the age of 8 are not to participate, nor in my 29+ years of being a member have I ever heard anything that says this is not to be done. In every Ward I have belonged to I have never seen any family not share the sacrament with their children nor withhold the sacrament from children who are under 8 yrs old. Your inclusion of Corinthians does not refer to children under 8 yrs old, it specifically states "Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily...". The key word here is: unworthily, children are not unworthy, they are still innocent. This scripture passage is not talking about children, it is talking about someone who is supposed to know better, someone who is accountable & who partakes of the sacrament when they know they are not worthy due to sinning, unrighteous living/choices, etc. Some of the things you state in your post makes me question if you are truly LDS. Perhaps I'm wrong, but something just doesn't ring true in your post. For instance, many LDS people do not refer to the church as "the Mormon Church".

Here's a quote from Russell M. Nelson in the Ensign, March 1983: I have a question...Is it necessary to take the sacrament with one's right hand? "Parents are sometimes concerned about which hand their children use to partake of the sacrament. As a means of education, preparation, and training, unbaptized children in the Church are offered the sacrament “to prefigure the covenant they will take upon themselves when they arrive at the years of accountability.” (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed., Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966, p. 660.) Therefore, it is very important that they develop a good feeling and a sacred mental attitude about the symbolism and significance of the sacrament. Parents who wish to teach the importance of this sacred experience might make the topic a part of family home evening instruction. Then, if a reminder becomes necessary in a meeting, it may be given quietly, in patience and love."

And here's another quote from the January 1978 Ensign: I have a question. "What benefits do children receive by partaking of the sacrament before the age of accountability?

Elliott D. Landau, chairman of the Child Committee, Sunday School General Board Although children under the age of eight “cannot sin, for power is not given unto Satan to tempt little children, until they begin to become accountable before me” (D&C 29:47), it has been the practice of the Church to offer children the sacrament.

Partaking of the sacrament serves to remind worthy individuals (1) to remember the broken body and spilled blood of him who was crucified for the sins of the world, (2) to take upon themselves the name of Christ and always remember him, and (3) to “live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God.” (D&C 84:44.) Allowing children to participate does not indicate that they have the same need for repentance as an adult; however, partaking of the sacrament can help teach them to love the Lord and to obey his commandments.

Observation has taught us that growth processes having to do with such things as attitudes, habits, and dispositions begin at a very early age. We are often impressed with the idea that children, in our homes and in Church services, are making a limited but effectual spiritual response to attempts made to motivate them on the level of spirituality. We may also observe that their response to spiritual things often precedes or exceeds their intellectual understanding.

In other words, we may see spiritual responsiveness and growth before a child “begins to become accountable” for his moral choices. His moral innocence does not necessarily imply complete spiritual incapacity. A child may get a feeling about God as he repeats a prayer or hears one. He may think momentarily about Jesus as he is instructed to bow his head and close his eyes—especially if he has been invited to do so just preceding the prayer.

It is especially important that the less tangible religious lessons be given most careful attention and repetition. The sacrament is one of the most important vehicles available to us to do this. Although the attention span is short for young children, the feeling may develop that partaking of the sacrament is a special occasion, that Jesus is a special person, and that the bread and water somehow relate to him. But becoming accountable is gradual, not sudden, and the more mature idea of making a promise to Jesus and receiving blessings through him may well have—and should have—its beginnings before the age of eight.

In both the Junior Sunday School worship service and the sacrament meeting, children see their families and their older peers partaking of the sacrament, and this weekly repetition from toddler days to the age of eight helps them to model themselves after these important persons.

Under the above circumstances, partaking of the sacrament may not only start a pattern that will go on in later life, but it may also become a dynamic, vitalizing, and developmental foundation for spiritual growth. Therefore, children partaking of the sacrament when they are emotionally immature and relatively ignorant of the doctrines of salvation is not necessarily an idle gesture. Spirit may speak to spirit, attitudes may generate attitudes. Although children may not get the same thing out of partaking of the sacrament that adults do, they may have some of their important needs met through that ordinance."

Edited by classylady

Some of the things you state in your post makes me question if you are truly LDS. Perhaps I'm wrong, but something just doesn't ring true in your post. For instance, many LDS people do not refer to the church as "the Mormon Church".

My initial thought as well.

Oh, let's be sure to mention that Transubstantiation is not an LDS teaching (that we are partaking of the literal body and blood of Christ).

The bread and water are in similitude and are representative of the body and blood of Christ... but they don't turn into flesh and blood when we partake of it.

Oh, let's be sure to mention that Transubstantiation is not an LDS teaching (that we are partaking of the literal body and blood of Christ).

The bread and water are in similitude and are representative of the body and blood of Christ... but they don't turn into flesh and blood when we partake of it.

I think I've said that basically. :P But you did say it ever so much better. With the big word and all. :lol:

I think I've said that basically. :P But you did say it ever so much better. With the big word and all. :lol:

It's okay Pam, you were trying to keep the Spirit of the Sabbath by not causing others to labor over words. :)

I just love it when the OP quoted the GA's from memory, and demands to not be flamed because of it, and after that, there are plenty of posts from GA's contradicting him with sources attached.

Yea, I remember when a GA said the sky was blurple. I swear he did, don't flame me because you are wrong and it will be blasphemous of you to say the sky is anything but blurple! *no source needed because I read/heard/dreamed/revealationed it :huh:

Good grief, some people need to learn to do some basic research instead of selective ideological memory recall and mental assembly :nownow:

Edited by pam
It's a him not a her :)

It's okay Pam, you were trying to keep the Spirit of the Sabbath by not causing others to labor over words. :)

Uhhh yeh..that's it. :rolleyes:

I just love it when the OP quoted the GA's from memory, and demands to not be flamed because of it, and after that, there are plenty of posts from GA's contradicting him with sources attached.

Yea, I remember when a GA said the sky was blurple. I swear he did, don't flame me because you are wrong and it will be blasphemous of you to say the sky is anything but blurple! *no source needed because I read/heard/dreamed/revealationed it :huh:

Good grief, some people need to learn to do some basic research instead of selective ideological memory recall and mental assembly :nownow:

To be fair the quotes are attributed, though the first one is lacking an article name. Though "For I am a God or Order" is lacking a source, I'd assume paraphrase except its in the first person.

Edited by Dravin

I would like a link to the quote by Dallin H. Oaks. Though I don't doubt he made this statement, I want to know in what context it was used. But since there isn't an article by him in that edition, I can only assume that someone else quoted him in one of theirs.

I would like a link to the quote by Dallin H. Oaks. Though I don't doubt he made this statement, I want to know in what context it was used. But since there isn't an article by him in that edition, I can only assume that someone else quoted him in one of theirs.

Actually there is: Fundamental to Our Faith - Ensign Jan. 2011

I know you don't generally like me providing citations for people, but it was properly cited by the OP (well almost, it lacked an article reference).

Yea, I remember when a GA said the sky was blurple.

Actually, slamjet, Blurple is truly a beautiful color!! Lol! In fact, I actually saw it! Now, granted it was in the highlands of Scotland during the month of June when they refer to it as the "gloaming". Often wondered what that meant until I actually saw it for myself. And, yes, it truly is blurple!! Beautiful! Can't wait to get back to Scotland to see it again, it is truly a site to behold!

Here is the article the OP was referring the quote from Dallin H. Oaks:

Fundamental to Our Faith - Ensign Jan. 2011

The quote (naturally) is in reference to our beliefs of the characteristics and separate beings that God the Father and Jesus Christ are - because of the First Vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Edited by skippy740

Actually, slamjet, Blurple is truly a beautiful color!! Lol! In fact, I actually saw it! Now, granted it was in the highlands of Scotland during the month of June when they refer to it as the "gloaming". Often wondered what that meant until I actually saw it for myself. And, yes, it truly is blurple!! Beautiful! Can't wait to get back to Scotland to see it again, it is truly a site to behold!

Oh, let me clarify this...Blurple as in the color of the sky. And, yes, it can be seen in the summer night time sky in the highlands of Scotland. Absolutely amazing to behold!

Here is the article the OP was referring the quote from Dallin H. Oaks:

Fundamental to Our Faith - Ensign Jan. 2011

The quote (naturally) is in reference to our beliefs of the characteristics and separate beings that God the Father and Jesus Christ are - because of the First Vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Okay my bad on that one. For that I apologize. I completely missed it. How I don't know. :)

I googled it. It didn't show up directly on LDS.org when I did a search of that issue.

The thing is I went directly to LDS.org directory of Ensign editions. I just missed that particular article.