YW-The dreaded swimsuit search..?

storydari

Would a bikini be okay, as long as a tankini was worn to church events? Thanks!!(:

Well, that depends on your comfort level. Do you wear a strappy dress to prom because it's not a church dance? If you have standards, they should be constant -- not situational. Modest is modest (note: for others reading this, let's please not get into recent cultural discussions of modesty).

Some resources for modest swimwear:

L.L.Bean: Shipped for Free, Guaranteed to Last

Lime Ricki Swimwear

DownEast Basics :: Affordable and Fashionable Clothing

My high school swim team experience combined with lifeguarding/waterfront activity has made me despise two-pieces.

But I will say a two-piece can be just as modest and they often are more attractive.

If the Church activity says one piece, wear a one piece and make sure it's MODEST.

Otherwise, use your judgement.

It's that time of year again. :P As I'm LDS, and trying to search for a appropriate swimsuit, the standards are fairly blurred. Would a bikini be okay, as long as a tankini was worn to church events? Thanks!!(:

I think it also depends on what your ward or stake puts out. When my daughter was in YW and going to girls camp..it specifically said one piece swimsuits and no tankinis. So that was the standard we went by. Now that she's older and on her own..she makes her own decisions.

I had to find a new one last year, and face it, it's harder to find modest and comfortable swimsuits in the junior's section than the children's. I found that the Zero Xposure 2-pieces were fanspastic. They are tankinis with nice, low midriffs and, get this, BOYSHORTS. It was expensive, but totally worth it.

I have wore tankinis jsut becasue they are more modest than some of the one pieces out there. I think it's a matter of finding the best suit you can, that you are comfortable with.

Note:

If she only has one suit, then make sure it is within the guidelines giving by the YW pres or whomever is putting on events (if she plans to participate.), or else she might end up having to buy a new one or wearing a t-shirt with it and those are often uncomforable. I, too have seen various wards and stake give out differnt guidlines, so it wouldn't hurt to ask, so you aren't out trying to find one last minute.

Guest DeborahC

I bought one of these last year and LOVED IT!

This year, I'm buying the pattern and making my own.

I was pleasantly surprised at how many women were wearing much more modest suits this year, even shirts over their suits. Mostly for the sun protection.. but hey.. it worked!

Simply Modest Swimwear

The thing with tankinis, depending on where you buy them, is that you can very often mix-and match. At LL Bean for example, there's a pretty wide variety of options. It's easy to buy a top a little larger for length (or buy a long size). For bottoms, they have bikini cut, brief cut, boy shorts, or even a skort style. If you just go to Target, your tankini options will be more limited, but it's pretty easy to modest-ify a tankini.

I'm currently serving as the YW president in my ward, and I'm helping the girls get ready for camp. We're going to a Church-owned camp this year, and the rule is specifically one-piece suits. We camped at the same place last year, and I noticed several tankinis. They all covered bellies and backs, but I noticed that they were there and no stake leaders commented. This year in a camp prep meeting, I specifically asked about one-piece vs. still-modest tankinis. (Tankinis have become a popular option for long-waisted young women who have a hard time finding one-pieces that even fit.) The stake leaders told me that tankinis would be acceptable if (1) no belly showed when the girls raised their arms above their heads; or (2) if belly did show, they would wear a shirt over the suit.

So far, all my girls have been okay with it. In fact, when I bring up swimsuits, they automatically ask, "one-piece, right?" Most of my girls have never been to camp before, and several are converts, less-active, and one is even a non-member.

I bought one of these last year and LOVED IT!

This year, I'm buying the pattern and making my own.

I was pleasantly surprised at how many women were wearing much more modest suits this year, even shirts over their suits. Mostly for the sun protection.. but hey.. it worked!

Simply Modest Swimwear

I went to look at the link you provided and... wow! Expensive! :eek:

I would love to have a swimsuit like that, but I can't afford to pay nearly $100 for one.

I have a tankini that covers my stomach, because that is the most modest, comfortable suit I could find with a design that I like and that wasn't crazy expensive. There was a one-piece I found that I REALLY liked, but it was somewhere around $80. Yikes! Modesty needs to be affordable. If I hadn't been able to find something worth getting that I could afford, I would have just worn an "exercise outfit" as my swimsuit, since it's almost the sae material.

Guest DeborahC

Yes, they are VERY expensive.

But they also have a pattern with all sizes for $24.

Can you sew?

The pattern has every size in it - so a group of people could all pitch in and have a modest swimsuit sewing party for Relief Society Homemaking Night!

Oh... they don't do that anymore, do they... bummer.

Maybe I should start sewing modest swimwear!

There are other less-expensive options too. Do a Google Search on "Modest Swimwear" and you find them.

Here is a link with a lot of companies:

Warning about HydroChic - I bought one of their suits and it only lasted 3 months. Granted, I was wearing it into the Hot Tub about 3 times a week, but felt it should have lasted a lot longer. It also was VERY spendy!

My link didn't show up.. weird... here it is again:

http://modestswimsuitsandswimwear.com/

Edited by DeborahC

May I also make a suggestion about trying them on? Which is why I'm wary of ordering things off the internet unless they allow for very specific measurements. I'm fairly well endowed. In high school, we ordered our team swimsuits. Now you think a swim team suit would be pretty modest, right? Most girls, yeah. Me, I'm still baring cleavage. I stopped buying swimsuits online just because of that problem. I need to get into a store and examine them.

I think it also depends on what your ward or stake puts out.

Speaking for guys, Winder Ward, Winder Stake, 195?, it was your birthday suit so you could go to Deseret Gym. People don't seem to want to believe it, but it was so. Girls? Don't know. Doubt it was very detailed. Wasn't going to be some of the really crappy suits I've seen lately that would drown most young women.

Of course, back then, swimming suits were for swimming. Which is why the priesthood swam in those best suited for it.

Guest thanantos
Hidden

:|

Why don't you just get a fucking bikini? I don't see no point in a bunch of dumb fucks to tell you what you can and can't wear

Guest Chouchou

idk if this would be possible for you, but you can often find really cheap swimsuits at Sam's Club if you know anyone who has a membership and could take you with them. I got my one piece speedo there for $19. and as always, clearance racks are your best friends. start looking ahead for next season when this swimsuit season is over and all those overpriced suits get marked down super cheap. I also have a one piece suit i like that i got at walmart, but this can be iffy as walmart's merchandise just isnt what it used to be. i think i paid about $35 for it.

and on the question about bikinis for members: I think it depends on what circumstances you're wearing it under. it goes without saying you'll feel a little under dressed at ward activities. I always wear a one piece if i'm at a the beach or a public pool, but i do have an adorable bikini that i got at VS (again clearance rack.) that i wear when i'm just with my husband or a few close friends at a private place.

• 4 months later...
Guest BevSwimwear
Hidden

In the search of cute modest swimsuits one can easily become discouraged. With modest swimsuits rarely seen in the mainstream swimsuit fashions you really have to hunt for the right swimsuit. Many of these previous posts mentioned clearance sections in stores such as walmart or target. But when going to stores like these you have a very limited basic selection to choose from.

As with the majority of people in this forum I see a need for the availability of LDS swimsuits. So instead of complaining about the situation I wanted to create a solution for Mormon girls. I have a website selling vintage inspired swimsuits, which are all church activities appropriate. My business sells one piece swimming suits and long tankinis to keep every women covered and modest through any water activity. Beverly Swimwear makes it easy for anyone to find a cute modest swimsuits that's affordable.

Beverly

Beverly Swimwear | 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, yes very late making a comment - but just wanted to say that Lands End has modest swimsuits - some are expensive, some are not. Of course right now in November there is NOT a very big selection! You can also mix and match tops and bottoms. I really like their tankini.

Thanks for all the feedback!! :D

What's everyones views on bikinis for LDS members?

Just wondering.(:

I'm LDS and wear bikinis to the pool and on the beach. I should add that I haven't been to the temple and do not wear garments. I think that makes a difference.

I second Land's End for tankinis as the tops are long enough that they stay where they should be. One other thing that's great for not just modesty but sun protection is to get one of those shirts from the workout clothes section that's designed to wick away sweat when working out in hot weather. I'm not LDS myself, but even I have one of those shirts since I have fair skin that burns easily, and I want to protect myself from skin cancer.

For one piece swimsuits, I also found that you can get Speedo ones at Costco if you have the membership. I actually have one of those that I wear when swimming at my gym because they stay put and since I'm there to swim for exercise, they're fine for me. If your local congregation doesn't allow tankinis, the Speedo type of one piece swimsuit is modest and might work, especially if worn with one of those shirts previously mentioned.

I second Land's End for tankinis as the tops are long enough that they stay where they should be. One other thing that's great for not just modesty but sun protection is to get one of those shirts from the workout clothes section that's designed to wick away sweat when working out in hot weather. I'm not LDS myself, but even I have one of those shirts since I have fair skin that burns easily, and I want to protect myself from skin cancer.

For skin protection purposes you can also get a swim shirt or rash guard though work out shirts are probably easier to come by.