Any Anime Fans Here?

BrioCyrain

I know this isnt really about LDS Movies, but I am curious how many of us members here actually watch anime? I've been somewhat of a fan since Toonami started airing the stuff, mind you I try to keep away from the

"adult" version of it. I for one love how the japanese portray action, love, and how their characters seem more down-to-earth than some of the western stuff people like Disney market.

I wouldn't actually mind if some LDS business started making LDS-based anime, I love the style and design.

I grew up on Voltes V, Danguard Ace, and Transformers... those are my 3 favorites. Okay, okay, these are 80's stuff... but they're AWESOME!

Factoid: Anime was banned by President Marcos in the Philippines during Martial Law. The reasoning behind it was to prevent children from getting "addicted" to it. So yeah, I had to bootleg the stuff.

Funny how you bring up the comparison of anime to Disney. One of my favorite anime directors is Miyazaki, and he was bought out by Disney, so now Disney sells all his movies. Figures.

As far as anime TV series go, I love those too. :D Fullmetal Alchemist is my absolute favorite. It's fun, exciting, has a great story to it, and an amazing serious side. I won't share details on the forum in case I'm letting out spoiler information for someone else who wants to watch it, but my favorite character from the show was Maes Hughes and I even made my own little music video as a kind of "tribute". There's a whole website dedicated to anime music videos made by anime fans, and some of them are extremely popular even among those who don't care much for anime.

My college friends are the ones who introduced me to anime- other than Miyazaki. I was already a fan of him when I was in grade school. I don't think there's a single one of his movies I don't like. I became interested in quite a number of series and even went with them to an anime convention in a costume I made for myself. (I was San from Princess Mononoke.) Other shows I've seen and enjoyed include Wolf's Rain, Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, Naruto, Fruit Basket, Oh My Goddess, Hellsing, Ouran High School Host Club, and one I can't remember the name of but it was about a duck/ballerina. I've been thinking about watching Bleach and the Avatar series after seeing the Airbender movie...

Ooooh... I got the entire Avatar the Last Airbender on video. I was kinda sad it ended. I was hoping they'd continue to make more episodes of it.

My kids are currently into the Clone Wars big time. Not quite anime but I like it. I mean, it is 10 times better than Pokemon in my opinion.

I like Naruto too but haven't been able to follow the anime much because the kids didn't catch on to it. I've read quite a bit of the manga and like the story. There's other manga-turned-anime ones that I wanted to explore but just haven't had the time. If the kids watch it, then I get to see it too. I get more time to read the manga than watch the anime - because, ya know, I have all these wait times (soccer practice, doctors office, etc. etc.) that I use to read - not a lick of TV in sight.

Edited by anatess

I like Naruto too but haven't been able to follow the anime much because the kids didn't catch on to it. I've read quite a bit of the manga and like the story.

The Naruto anime has a HUGE number of "filler" episodes. It is hard to get into the actual plot/story because it gets broken apart so much. It was my roommates favorite. She had the entire series and the manga. She helped me understand the plot better and even helped me "skip over" some of the filler to put things together.

Now the manga... :D The manga is very different from the anime. In some ways better, in some ways not. I've read some of the Naruto manga and the entire Fullmetal Alchemist manga.

I love Studio Ghibli myself, I have Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo, to which I love the art style.

I think as fas as series goes my family has some dvds of Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Angelic Layer, Detective Loki, etc.

My own personal collection right now would be Robotech(80s stuff) and recently Appleseed: Ex Machina.

I did watch an episode of Naruto but found his voice to be quite annoying in the english dub, and I did catch a few episodes of Avatar.

I did watch an episode of Naruto but found his voice to be quite annoying in the english dub, and I did catch a few episodes of Avatar.

Now that you mention it - it is kinda annoying!

My favorite voice is Zuko's (Avatar). I like the raspiness of it and Dante Basco does a good job of emoting - whether it be funny, angry, or torn.

The college friends that introduced me to anime were Japanese students, and we always watched everything with English subs. When we got a group together to watch the FMA movie and one of the non-Japanese members of our group wanted to watch it in English, there was practically an uproar. The claim was that the quality of the movie/show/anime is better when watched in Japanese. After I watched a few English dubbed and compared them, I found I had to agree. The translation in the subtitles isn't always entirely accurate, but then the translation to the dub isn't always accurate either, and then you don't even have the original Japanese to compare it to. Plus, the English voices are almost always more annoying.

All the Naruto I have seen was with subtitles. I absolutey refused to try the English dubbed.

As for all you Miyasaki fans... he made a lovely little movie about a princess on a planet that was mainly desert and she lived in a valley of wind...

It first came to America in the 80s/90s under the title "Warriors of the Wind". I personally believe that the monstrosity was the reason Miyasaki took forever to release stuff in US again.

All the Naruto I have seen was with subtitles. I absolutey refused to try the English dubbed.

As for all you Miyasaki fans... he made a lovely little movie about a princess on a planet that was mainly desert and she lived in a valley of wind...

It first came to America in the 80s/90s under the title "Warriors of the Wind". I personally believe that the monstrosity was the reason Miyasaki took forever to release stuff in US again.

Are you talking about Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind? Or is "Warriors of the Wind" a different film entirely?

Are you talking about Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind? Or is "Warriors of the Wind" a different film entirely?

Exact same thing. COMPLETELY different approach to dubbing. Remember the person who did Rocky the Squirrel? THAT was Nausicca.

I had an old boyfriend who had all this illegal bootlegs of Miyasaki films. So... we watched them. I liked them. Then he showed me "Warriors of the Wind" to show me how hilariously awful it was.

The college friends that introduced me to anime were Japanese students, and we always watched everything with English subs. When we got a group together to watch the FMA movie and one of the non-Japanese members of our group wanted to watch it in English, there was practically an uproar. The claim was that the quality of the movie/show/anime is better when watched in Japanese. After I watched a few English dubbed and compared them, I found I had to agree. The translation in the subtitles isn't always entirely accurate, but then the translation to the dub isn't always accurate either, and then you don't even have the original Japanese to compare it to. Plus, the English voices are almost always more annoying.

ya i agree a lot of dubbed can be downright awful but there are certainly a few that are done rather well. inuyasha,ghost in the shell,evangelion, full metal alchamist, morbito are a few that are done fairly well.

my favorites are defently ghost in the shell and evangelion as far as anime goes. heck as far as tv shows go period they are my two favorite.

morbito is pretty good. ya i enjoyed inuyasha used to watched it constantly on adult swim. cowboy bepop and trigun are amazing too. blue drop is pretty good too.

bleach i cant watch anymore same with naruto and of course dbz started it all for me

ive watched probably far to many animes to list and i certainly cant remeber them all lol. quite honestly id have to really think and look at some my dvds to see what ive watched cause i cant remeber it all lol.

but want a crazy off the wall anime? watch dog warrior lol 13 episodes. and FLCL 6 episodes.

For some reason, whenever I think of DBZ the first thing that pops in my head is the song "I will always love you".....

That's dedication.

Why change the lightbulb when they can just go super seyan and have all the light they need? :D

You stole my answer!

I like Princess Mononoke.

Love that movie. Need to put my VHS onto DVD.

Only 1. But it takes 3 seasons to do it...

:D

LOL so true.

That's dedication.

Actually it has nothing to do with dedication. I've never watched a single episode of DBZ. Tried to once but couldn't get into it. That song pops up because of a funny music video clip I can't link here due to profanity. If you really want to see it though, just search 'dbz I will always love you' on youtube- there is one curse word.

• pam featured and unfeatured this topic