Any Anime Fans Here?

BrioCyrain

Probably the only downside with all Anime is the inherent use of Profanity. That's why sometimes the newer the anime, the worse it can be, Naruto is probably one of the few "somewhat" exceptions to this, at least in the english dub.

thats really everywhere not just anime

Well, I was more meaning that japanese anime has had language longer than what used to be american animation(especially Disney).

ah i see. well still japanese anime is rather amazing. but then again massiving cussing doesnt entirely bug me.

I know this isnt really about LDS Movies, but I am curious how many of us members here actually watch anime? I've been somewhat of a fan since Toonami started airing the stuff, mind you I try to keep away from the

"adult" version of it. I for one love how the japanese portray action, love, and how their characters seem more down-to-earth than some of the western stuff people like Disney market.

I wouldn't actually mind if some LDS business started making LDS-based anime, I love the style and design.

reservedly... I can't stomach most anime.. but when it's the rare good stsuff, it tends to be really good.

.... That or I was spoiled on Hayao Miyazaki.

anyways animes i've enjoyed:

Anything Miyazaki-

Grave of the Fireflies

Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind

Princess Mononoke

Spirited away

Howl's walking castle

Porco Rosso

My neighbor Totoro

Castle in the Sky Laputa.

other animes

The Vision of Escaflowne

Gasaraki

Macross (when i was younger)

Verian

Yu-Yu spirit detective

I generally tend to do a little more with the mangas.

Current Faves being Nausicaa of the valley of hte Wind, Kenshin/Samurai X, and Battle ANgel Alita. Yu-Yu is pretty fun too.

Edited by Blackmarch

Probably the only downside with all Anime is the inherent use of Profanity. That's why sometimes the newer the anime, the worse it can be, Naruto is probably one of the few "somewhat" exceptions to this, at least in the english dub.

My experience is generally the english dub usually has worse swearing than the sub.... of course this all depends on who's translating. Edited by Blackmarch

<delurk>

Any anime fan worth his/her salt needs to see Haibane Renmei. It's only thirteen episodes, so you won't need a major marathon session to finish it.

It completely blew my mind - no words can fully describe the experience - except that for me it was an almost spiritual event. However, the first few episodes seem a little slow, but they are just building the atmosphere.

Watch it in subtitles for the best experience - I really can't stand the English voice for the main character.

</delurk>

I realize you've been talking about anime, but on a related note, manga is fast becoming a standard in public libraries. Every year I have at least 2 students who write substantive papers on in it (and this is in a small program), and justifying its inclusion in library collections. Considering the budget crisis that exists for most libraries, justifying collecting manga is an interesting phenomenon.

• 2 months later...

I realize you've been talking about anime, but on a related note, manga is fast becoming a standard in public libraries. Every year I have at least 2 students who write substantive papers on in it (and this is in a small program), and justifying its inclusion in library collections. Considering the budget crisis that exists for most libraries, justifying collecting manga is an interesting phenomenon.

For manga... Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is worth its weight,

I also love Kenshin for it's theme- How do you atone for being a killer and assasin?

I also really love Battle angel, because it deals with so many topics, as well as uses so many sources for inspiration but is ultimately about how does one grow. Pros for that is the guy knows how to draw very detailed... the cons is that the guy knows how to draw very well.

I really like the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, as well as the one for Wolf's Rain (only two books). However, I have a hard time really picking up on manga despite my love for comics. When I read a comic, I typically go for marvel comics or more story-like graphic novels like Sojourn from CrossGen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too love watch anime. But I don't go enjoy reading manga chapter of my favorite anime. Actually i can't entertain myself with reading manga story , as much much i can by watch visual story and stuffs of anime show. Mine most favorite anime are bleach, naruto and one piece. And just before an hour ago, I'd enjoyed missed Naruto shippuden episodes.

Recently this summer I watched a CGI anime movie based on the game Tekken. It was quite funny and had some good cheesy points to it, though probably as a simple caution the main character is a girl and for one of the scenes she walks around in only a bath towel (nothing is shown, it's just a bit awkward IMO).

I'm not much into manga but I do like the occasional anime though I don't usually watch any unless it is with my wife. We both like Shuffle, Princess Tutu, Azumanga Daioh, Oran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo (though I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of most of his other stuff.). I also like Escaflowne and Tenchi Muyo.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm a fan of trigun, full metal alchemist, and a couple others. I lived in northern Japan for three years, so I got quite a bit of anime there. I miss my old toonsami days after school watching DBZ and Gundam Wing....

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM!!! AHHH!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW!!!

Uh, uhmm... that was super long ago...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

My cousin isn't a member, and when we went to my uncle's house, she was watching Attack on Titan (It was NOT the English dubb). I fell in love with it almost immediately, despite the swearing and gore, among other things. I DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS SHOW, but it's the only anime I've ever been exposed to. This is important because a year ago, I was diagnosed with Aspergers Disorder, a form of autism. My psycologist told me that it's hard to have autism and NOT love anime. (I apologize to the ones with autism reading this that don't like anime; it's just what she told me.) The problem is, us kids grew up hating anime because our parents do. I found the Attack on Titan plotline deep and intriguing, and the characters complex and interesting. I am the only one in my house to be an anime.... well, not fan, I guess, but appreciator. It's hard, because I want to know the rest of the story, and can't watch it. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

• pam featured and unfeatured this topic