Any Anime Fans Here?

BrioCyrain

13 hours ago, KC Rose said:

My cousin isn't a member, and when we went to my uncle's house, she was watching Attack on Titan (It was NOT the English dubb). I fell in love with it almost immediately, despite the swearing and gore, among other things. I DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS SHOW, but it's the only anime I've ever been exposed to. This is important because a year ago, I was diagnosed with Aspergers Disorder, a form of autism. My psycologist told me that it's hard to have autism and NOT love anime. (I apologize to the ones with autism reading this that don't like anime; it's just what she told me.) The problem is, us kids grew up hating anime because our parents do. I found the Attack on Titan plotline deep and intriguing, and the characters complex and interesting. I am the only one in my house to be an anime.... well, not fan, I guess, but appreciator. It's hard, because I want to know the rest of the story, and can't watch it. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

My kids (ages 13 and 15) are very active churchgoers not autistic and love Attack on Titan.  Yeah, I was kinda like... uhm... when I first saw them watching it and saw the mom get eaten by the Titans!  But then I grew up on Shaolin Temple which is live action gory so I decided it's just fine for them.  My kids' favorite character is Levi.  Unfortunately, they stopped making the anime so we didn't get to the point where they explain what's in the basement or how his dad is involved.  My kids read the manga so they got the whole story.  I just haven't gotten to the manga yet.

My 15 year old played the Season 2 theme on a piano duet with his best friend for his school recital (this is not them, these are 2 amazing pianists on youtube.  My son played this exact piece with his best friend):

So, their 12 year old cousin got into Tokyo Ghoul which is even worse than Attack of Titan!  My kids watched the first episode and decided it is too much for them.  They didn't even read the manga.  Season 2 didn't follow the manga but even then my kids just are not interested in it even as their cousin tries to get them to watch it.  Her mom got her the entire set of Tokyo Ghoul manga for Christmas.

• pam featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 9 months later...

Love Death Note, Attack on Titan, almost anything by Studio Ghibli, Kimi No Na Wa (My favorite), Monster, Colorful. My kids also watch Bleach, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist.

Contrary to what Anatess said, they are still making anime of Attack on Titan. Season 2 was out this year in April and season 3 will be out April 2018. 

Sasageyo! sasageyo! shinzou wo sasageyo!

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone's found any clean Anime to recommend, besides, of course, Studio Ghibli? (I haven't read through this whole thread, so excuse me if this has been addressed! :P) I'm really interested in animation and love the beauty in the Japanese styles, but most of them are more than a little racy (in my experience anyway). :(

I'm kind of taken with RWBY.  I'm a sucker for an underdog, and this ragtag startup group of people out of Texas, learning how to get good at anime, appeals.  Plus Monty Oum, the creator of the thing, died at the end of the volume 2, and the thing just finished volume 5.  It has the magic, where viewers get emotionally connected with the characters.  Watch out for the close of volume 3.

Other than the standard anime too-much-cleavage, it's quite clean, with almost nothing in the way of language or human gore, and absolutely nothing in the way of nookie.

Plus, after you get hooked on it, you can also watch the RWBY Chibi version from the same team, and that's just cool stacked on top of cool.

Plus, it's all webisodes, free on YouTube.

27 minutes ago, MaryJehanne said:

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone's found any clean Anime to recommend, besides, of course, Studio Ghibli? (I haven't read through this whole thread, so excuse me if this has been addressed! :P) I'm really interested in animation and love the beauty in the Japanese styles, but most of them are more than a little racy (in my experience anyway). :(

Your Lie in April - (Netflix) The music is amazing.  I don't recall it being racy.

Erased - Amazing story

Sword Art Online - (Season 1 on netflix) My wife and I both like this series.  It is very popular right now.

One Punch Man - (Netflix) - My wife doesn't watch the ones with subtitles, but I really enjoyed this one.

The Devil is A Part Timer - (Netflix)  It is incomplete, but was still very enjoyable.

Psycho Pass - This one is more for adults, but is pretty thrilling futuristic detective mystery, lots of blood in some scenes.

With the exception of Psycho Pass, the other series are pretty clean (I think) and I have thoroughly enjoyed them.  The first two on the list are the most clean.  Ultimately I don't know where you draw the line in the sand.  There are all shows/series rather than movies.  I almost never watch anime movies (no good reason for that really).

Edited by person0

3 hours ago, MaryJehanne said:

I just got a childhood favorite of mine: Starblazers.  The version I saw was shown on American TV for a while, but I never got to see the end of the series because of TV scheduling.  I'm hoping that I don't find anything inappropriate because I'd like to watch this series with my kids.

OK.  first season screened.  It's safe for kids.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, MaryJehanne said:

SPEEEEEEEEEED RACERRRRRR!

Here he comes! Here comes Speed Racer! He's a demon on wheels!
He's a demon and he's gonna be chasing after someone!
He's gaining on ya so you'd better look alive!
He's busy revvin' up the powerful MACH 5!
And when the odds are against him and there's dangerous work to do,
You bet your life Speed Racer will see it through!
Go, Speed Racer! Go, Speed Racer! Go, Speed Racer! GO!

He's off and flying as he runs his car around the track!
He's jammin' on the pedal like he's never comin' back!
Adventure's waiting just ahead!
Go, Speed Racer! Go, Speed Racer! Go, Speed Racer! Go!

How could you want anything more from an anime? You've got Speed (what a dreamboat!) and his superhot girlfriend Trixie, who's a martial arts expert, light aircraft pilot, helicopter operator, doting, adorable, unwaveringly committed -- everything you could want in a girlfriend! And then there's Pops! And Sparky! And mom, with her homemade brownies or whatever it was! And Spridle and Chim-chim, Spridle's pet chimpanzee! You read that right -- a frickin' pet CHIMPANZEE! How the heck did THEY get in the trunk again?! And of course, everyone's favorite -- the mysterious Racer X, who, unbeknownst to the Racer family, is Speed's older brother Rex Racer -- cleverly renamed as Racer X; no one will ever spot that! -- who left home after a fight with Pops and was never seen again. See, he was recruited into some Superspy Agency, and he races cars better than anyone else in his efforts to further his Spying for Safety program. He does sometimes let his kid brother win, though -- which is perfectly legal, because he receives no royalties from Speed's victories.

AND OF COURSE, you have the POWERFUL MACH 5! Pops' opus magnum! The greatest, most powerful, and downright coolest automobile ever built! It's got jacks to jump over obstacles at 250 mph! It's got a remote control bird drone with camera relaying video! (Not bad for 1960s tech.) It's got a freaking PERISCOPE AND HERMETICALLY SEALED GLASS DOME FOR SUBMARINE OPERATION!!!

IT'S GOT GIGANTIC METAL SAW BLADES THAT COME OUT OF THE FRONT AND ALLOW YOU TO DRIVE AT HIGH SPEED THROUGH A FOREST!!!!!!!

You want this car. OF COURSE you want this car! EVERYONE wants this car! Whoever Pops used to work for before he quit and opened his own garage, they didn't pay him enough.

If you're a ten-year-old boy -- and, truthfully now, who among us isn't? -- there is one name that stands above all others in Quality Anime:

Speed Racer.

Best.

Anime.

EVAR.

8c930c2b1b603eb042a583cc51fcb276--b-cup-

Our hero and his much-too-good-to-be-true girlfriend.

Edited by Vort

40 minutes ago, Vort said:

You want this car. OF COURSE you want this car! EVERYONE wants this car! Whoever Pops used to work for before he quit and opened his own garage, they didn't pay him enough.

If you're a ten-year-old boy -- and, truthfully now, who among us isn't? -- there is one name that stands above all others in Quality Anime:

Speed Racer.

Have you seen the live action?

I felt like it stayed true to the original.

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Any good thread on anime, must have a battle of which anime is good and which stinks.  It starts innocently enough...

Well, Vort, Speed Racer is a classic, but Ruby Rose's scythe is also a gun!

Are you referring to Crescent Rose? Well there are two problems with that.

1) It's spelled RWBY.  And

2) I don't think it cane be considered anime since it isn't of Japanese origin.  Rooster Teeth is based out of Texas.

21 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Have you seen the live action?

I felt like it stayed true to the original.

I have not. The critics said it was pretty awful. Not that I necessarily pay any attention to the critics.

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have not. The critics said it was pretty awful. Not that I necessarily pay any attention to the critics.

My reaction was that if I had no connection whatsoever with the anime, I would be wondering what the heck was going on.  I would not be able to suspend my disbelief for FAR too much of the movie.  And what about Racer X?  That didn't mean anything to the non Speed Racer fan.

I imagine the visuals were way too dizzying for a standard American audience.  But I felt it captured the "blur" scenes from the anime pretty faithfully.

It was not a movie I watched because it had a great plot or acting or anything.  I just watched it so see the anime come to life in a live action film.  And on that score, I thought it was good.  Just look for the helicopter scene with Trixie and you'll get a feeling of nostalgia.  The race scene that I linked is pretty indicative of the visuals.

As for acting and plot... I don't even remember anything.  So, it was probably nothing noteworthy.

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Are you referring to Crescent Rose? Well there are two problems with that.

1) It's spelled RWBY.  And

2) I don't think it cane be considered anime since it isn't of Japanese origin.  Rooster Teeth is based out of Texas.

1. I'm referring to Ruby Rose, young plucky team leader of team RWBY.  Her scythe.  It's also a gun.  At least twice as cool as the Speed Racer Mach 5.  It can do, what exactly?  Go fast and maybe be a submarine too?

2. Although the phrase "anime" is the Japanese word for "animation", and, although the term is primarily associated with certain hand-drawn or animated styles originating in Japan, by no means does that mean that anime only exists in Japan.  Although there can be a tad of disagreement on the subject.

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

1. I'm referring to Ruby Rose, young plucky team leader of team RWBY.  Her scythe.  It's also a gun.  At least twice as cool as the Speed Racer Mach 5.  It can do, what exactly?  Go fast and maybe be a submarine too?

2. Although the phrase "anime" is the Japanese word for "animation", and, although the term is primarily associated with certain hand-drawn or animated styles originating in Japan, by no means does that mean that anime only exists in Japan.  Although there can be a tad of disagreement on the subject.

OK.  I see what you were saying.  I got several words mixed up when I read it first time through.  The scythe is called Crescent Rose.  My 8 y.o. fancies herself as Ruby and made a scythe for halloween that was PERFECT.  I wish I had a photo.  Her nickname is "ladybug".  So you can imagine that she loves the red and black motif.

Have you seen any RWBY Chibi?

Anime: Well, I'm of the school of thought that draws on the history of the word:  Japanese Animation was all the rage growing up.  Eventually it became the portmonteau Japanimation.  People still thought that was too long and shortened it to anime.  Therefore, the definition was a specific type and style of animation that came out of Japan. 

You may call a sparkling white wine "Champagne".  But true champagne comes out of Champagne, France.  So, yeah, if the style is done to imitate the style of Japanese animation we call anime, one could indicate the similarities.  But call me a purist when I say it would dilute the Champagne IMNSHO.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You may call a sparkling white wine "Champagne".  But true champagne comes out of Champagne, France.  So, yeah, if the style is done to imitate the style of Japanese animation we call anime, one could indicate the similarities.  But call me a purist when I say it would dilute the Champagne IMNSHO.

[For the record, I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing here.  I honestly don't care, and think you have the stronger argument.]

Oh, I get it.  But the hoards of embarrassed "true anime fans", caught in their zealous denunciation of "the english dub of RWBY", are not so easily discounted.  When you have to dig to discover the thing was made outside of Japan, it says something.   Go take an escalator to the laundromat and buy some aspirin to cope with that headache over the loss of words that grew beyond their original use.  

Do you also yell yourself hoarse about how that thing at the hockey game was not an official "Zamboni brand ice-resurfacing machine"?  No matter how hard someone tries to keep ownership of a word, you just can't say "Jello brand gelatin" enough to make it true. 

45 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

[For the record, I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing here.  I honestly don't care, and think you have the stronger argument.]

Oh, I get it.  But the hoards of embarrassed "true anime fans", caught in their zealous denunciation of "the english dub of RWBY", are not so easily discounted.  When you have to dig to discover the thing was made outside of Japan, it says something.   Go take an escalator to the laundromat and buy some aspirin to cope with that headache over the loss of words that grew beyond their original use.  

Do you also yell yourself hoarse about how that thing at the hockey game was not an official "Zamboni brand ice-resurfacing machine"?  No matter how hard someone tries to keep ownership of a word, you just can't say "Jello brand gelatin" enough to make it true. 

So you're arguing the generification of brand names.

Cue K. Arthur to the Black Knight. Alright, we'll call it a draw.

• 2 weeks later...