Baby Blessing Advice

AGStacker

Hi. When a blessing is being performed what is the requirement to participate in them. Having the higher priesthood and a current temple recommend?

If it is for someones ward other than your own who checks to see if you have one? I ask because I have one but haven't used it recently and I wonder if they'll ask if I have been using it or just check to see if I have one.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

My family is all Mormon yet really only myself, brother and sister in law are active. This will be the first out of my nieces and nephews who will be blessed and I want to be able to participate.

Thanks again.

Talk to your bishop. Bishops can approve participation in many ordinances by Priesthood holders who may not be temple recommend holders (or even temple recommend worthy). Many times, a father can officiate in an ordinance such as baptism even if he cannot hold a temple recommend at the time.

In general, holding the Melchizedek Priesthood is a prerequisite to any ordinance involving the laying on of hands. Exceptions are relatively few: A priest in the Aaronic Priesthood can lay on hands to confer the Aaronic Priesthood and ordain to the office of deacon, teacher, or priest; a wife can join in a circle giving a Priesthood blessing to a husband (though I have never personally witnessed this). These are the only two that come to mind at the moment.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It helps a lot but I am wondering as well who checks for your recommend or does anyone when a blessing is given within a ward other than your own? For example, when the blessing is to take place have the men involved talked to the bishop or counselor of that ward beforehand?

I actually was able to ordain my little brother when I was a Priest. Neat experience but pains me more that my father wasn't more involved. :(

I always check with the bishop beforehand, in my own ward and in the wards of relatives when I visit. I don't know the technical requirements of such; again, asking your bishop is probably the best course.

When I blessed my kids the Bishop told me any one visiting the ward to join in needed to have a current recommend. No actual checking was done. Some Bishops might handle it differently.

Vort can you give a source that allows women in the circle? While I believe it happens, I also believe it is incorrect to do so.

I am told that when he blessed President Kimball, Elder McConkie invited Camilla to join them. I have no authorized source to back me up on this. It just sort of makes sense to me, but that won't win many debates.

Ordinances are authorized by the bishop (or stake president) where the ordinance is performed. It is that bishop's responsibility to verify the worthiness of the people participating in the ordinance.

By strict interpretation of the Church Handbook of Instructions, the presiding authority need only verify the worthiness of the person acting as voice. However, he is certainly free to verify the worthiness of others participating in the circle.

Communication of worthiness is generally conveyed from one bishop to another by means of either a temple recommend or a Recommend to Perform an Ordinance. The Recommend to Perform an Ordinance is filled out by the member's bishop and presented to the presiding bishop upon request.

It makes no difference if you've used your recommend recently or not. Only that your bishop is willing to vouch for your worthiness to participate.

If you would like to read further, please reference the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 2, Section 20.1.3

I have been in many baby blessings for my 2 daughters and for close friends and family and never had a current temple recomend. You do need to have a short interview or visit with the Bishop or maybe a letter from your own bishop with there authorization.

Last baby blessing for my close friend I just talked to the bishop for 30 seconds before sacrament meeting and got a few quick questions about my worthiness and I was good to go.

Talk to your bishop he will tell you what he expects of you as every case may be different.

I am told that when he blessed President Kimball, Elder McConkie invited Camilla to join them. I have no authorized source to back me up on this. It just sort of makes sense to me, but that won't win many debates.

I'm reasonably sure there's a quote out there from Joseph F. or Joseph Fielding Smith to that effect. I've hinted to my wife that she's welcome to stand/sit in on blessings I give to our kids, but she's far more conservative LDS than I am and hasn't taken me up on the offer.

It's important to note, though, that officially any such quotes have been superseded by current Church policy (at least, as I recall it being expressed in the White Bible we used when I was a missionary) that clearly dictates only MP holders may participate in a blessing circle.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Baby blessings are not an ordiance of the Gospel. It is a tradition, so its up to the parents and the presiding priesthood holder. Unfortunately some presiding "authorities" demand Melchelzik priesthood preform this "blessing", but technically can be done by a Aaronic Priest (adult).

You may want to review Handbook 2, Section 20.2.2, which implies that the First Presidency disagrees with your assessment.

For all members, chapter 20 is a great read for any questions about priesthood ordinances.

You may want to review Handbook 2, Section 20.2.2, which implies that the First Presidency disagrees with your assessment.

For all members, chapter 20 is a great read for any questions about priesthood ordinances.

Doctrine and Covenants 20:70 might also be a worthwhile review in this case.

Edited by Dravin