Wanting to become active again, but don't know where to start

alan81

Hello everybody. I would like to ask for advice on becoming active again. I have been inactive for 12 years now. I became inactive shortly after joining when I was 16-17.

For the last couple of years I have wanted to come back, I have prayed about it for years and I know that this is what I want and need in my life.

The reasons I have avoided going back in the past is that I didn't feel worthy, I had issues with a coffee addiction and I had sex outside of marriage (Both issues are gone now, and will stay that way.)

The other reason is that I am worried about feeling out of place for several reasons: being 29 and single, and I know absolutely no one in my ward. I can't go with family as none of them are members, and none of my friends are members or live nearby.

Please, any advice on the situation would be appreciated. Is there anything I should/need to do when I go back to church this coming Sunday? Or before then? Especially considering that I have been inactive so long.

Think on what you just said, you know no one in your Ward.

So this means they don't know you or your past.

They don't know you have been inactive for 12 years.

As Pam said Just Go.

There is no magical way, no perfect method. Go and partake of the Ward. Remember they don't know your issues or past. You can give as little or as much information as you are comfortable with. The sooner you take this step the better you will feel.

As an alternative if you can't force yourself to walk in alone, call the local Missionaries, meet with them and have them meet you at the chapel next Sunday.

Alan,

I'm facing the same thing right now, so thank you for starting this thread! I joined in my early 20's and became inactive about a year later, since then ten years have slipped by. Lately I have been thinking more and more about going back, I started reading the Bible at home and the BOM online at work in breaks. When I joined I don't think I was armed with the information that was available, nobodies fault but by own, I think I was emotionally immature and made the decision based on what I wanted LDS to be rather than what it was. I should have asked more questions, been more open and certainly prayed a lot more.

Now, I'm older, married, a lot more sure of myself and how I feel. Not so attached to my parents and their religous beliefs but still want to make the right decision, not go back and become inactive again. So I will be praying on it some more before I do go back. Joining this site was my first step. My husband is an inactive methodist as well as a scientist, I know this path will not be for him, though I am sure of his support.

The step of going back, that first time, will be hard, I understand how you feel. the post above from LDSVALLEY has really helped and is very true.......so thank you, I will keep that in mind when I go to my first Sacrament meeting. Good luck Alan, I hope it all goes well.

Guest saintish

to second what pam said, Just go. you will be surprised how friendly everyone will be.

dont worry about being single, most likely there will be other single adults there, and if not it can be kind of fun in a weird way, being single, no kids to fight with etc.

are there any other specific concerns you have about just going back?

one last small peice of advice, find someone you can befriend/ be a mentor to you. It will make becoming active alot easier.

I was inactive for quite a few years and only just returned on April 10th this year. I am also a single adult and I really enjoy it. The Bishop might ask you for a quick word, if he doesn't, it will be a good idea to see if he can fit you in for a chat. He will see what your needs are and do what he can to help you.

Something I only just learnt a few weeks back. It turns out that the other members in the ward are human and have faults and failings, just like me. It can be very easy to think that you as an unworthy person are going to walk into a building filled with perfect beings and feel completely out of place, But they are just like you. They are on the same path. They have probably made the same mistakes you have or worse. Go to church, make some friends, be part of Heavenly Fathers wonderful family, read your scriptures, pray and have fun. Oh! And don't forget to invite the spirit into your heart.

The Holy Spirit is a bit like a Vampire. He won't come in unless you invite him in, then he becomes the best house guest you could ever imagine. Unlike that pesky Vampire who steals all your cookies.

Congratulations on your decision. Know that satan will try to stop you (opposition) but Heavenly Father is going with you. Contacting the missionaries is a good idea. But if you don't want to do that, then just go. You can find someone to sit with who is sitting alone. Find something to compliment them on if you want to start a conversation. Or just introduce yourself if asked.

Either way, just go. I hope you will let us know how it goes.

I want to thank everybody for their advice. It really helped as there were multiple times I caught myself trying to justify not going to church, but everybody's advice helped get me past that.

I did end up going back today, and it went great. Like many of you said I would be. I was welcomed back. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be going back next week and beyond.

Again, thank you all for your help.

1) Read your scriptures daily.

2) Pray at least twice daily.

3) Attend church.

It's that simple.

+1

If those things are difficult, pray for strength, you'll get it.

And if you do those things everything else will fall in to place naturally, I guarantee it. It might take a while, years even, but just keep it up. It worked for me.

1) Read scriptures daily (even one verse)

2) Pray at least twice daily (short and sweet still counts)

3) Attend church (vital, even fast and testimony meeting :D )