Ready to come into the church

alexis

Hello my friendly community of Saints.

I think I'm finally ready to attend my first church service. I almost attended 5/29, but I talked myself out of it. I still feel like I have a lot to work on before I get baptized. For instance:

--The Law of Chasity (Self-Explanatory)

--The Word of Wisdom (Caffeine, Tobacco, Junk food)

--Reading every page of Scripture (Almost there....almost there.....)

--Saving money for a mission (Is never gonna happen, no matter how hard I try. I won't get enough saved by the age limit.)

--Making sure this is the right move for me.

I'm looking forward to:

--Relief Society Meetings

--A Temple Marriage/Endowment

--Visiting Teaching

--JELL-O!!

I'm worried about:

--What to wear (I have no "modest" dresses. All of them hit above the knee.)

--What to answer to/sing/pray about.

--How awkward it will look when I don't take the Sacrament.

--Missionaries flocking to my house like ants to a candy.

Does anybody have any advice for me? Anything is much appreciated!

alexis

I think I'm finally ready to attend my first church service. I almost attended 5/29, but I talked myself out of it. I still feel like I have a lot to work on before I get baptized. For instance:

--Saving money for a mission (Is never gonna happen, no matter how hard I try. I won't get enough saved by the age limit.)

I'm looking forward to:

--Relief Society Meetings

--A Temple Marriage/Endowment

--Visiting Teaching

--JELL-O!!

I'm worried about:

Does anybody have any advice for me? Anything is much appreciated!

alexis

Welcome :)

I might suggest having a meeting with the missionaries as soon as possible and start the lessons. I wouldn't worry that they'll "flock to you house like ants". Missionaries are very respectful of your time. They can also teach you about the sacrament and other practical information.

Here's a Mormons Made Simple video -- Great series for new people.

1 & 2 - Certainly important to work on before baptism, this doesn't prevent you from attending a service though. Sounds like you're aware of that.

3 - Not a requirement for baptism, but if that's a person goal/requirement it's a worthwhile one (as long as it doesn't become an excuse via not working on it).

4 - You can save money as a member. :) Actually, as a new convert there would be a 1 year wait before you could serve a mission. And you don't have to leave right at 21. For example I left at 22, which as a guy was 3 years later than the soonest I could have gone (at 19). So if when you are baptized you feel like the Lord wants you to serve a mission don't feel that if you can't get everything worked out before you turn 22 (or even a few years after that) that you've lost the opportunity.

5 - Extremely important, you need to come to have a testimony that it's the Lord's will you join the Church.

I'm worried about:

1 - You can always wear pants if you are worried. You may feel a little self-conscious but you aren't going to be hounded out of the building by the ward or the Lord. Sunday best is the best (modest) clothing you have, traditionally that's suits or slacks for men and dresses or skirts for women but it's more important you be there in jeans even then not be there at all.

2 - ChooseTheSun looks like they've covered that.

3 - I doubt anyone will notice, and even if they did it's not like they're going to grill you on it or anything.

4 - Eh, the most you should get is 2 (which 2 will fluctuate a little), but it's not like you'll be swarmed by every missionary in 50 mile radius (well, unless you live in the boonies, then those two may be every missionary in a 50 mile radius). As a practical matter you will have to take the lessons before you are baptized. But if you tell them you aren't ready to meet with them yet they'll respect that (unless they're dorks, then you have my permission to slap them).

Edited by Dravin

Why wouldn't you be able to take the sacrament? It's my understanding the only people precluded from doing so are already members who have committed certain sins. Non-members and children are allowed to take it, without question.

To those in the know, is my understanding accurate?

Elphaba

Why wouldn't you be able to take the sacrament? It's my understanding the only people precluded from doing so are already members who have committed certain sins. Non-members and children are allowed to take it, without question.

To those in the know, is my understanding accurate?

Elphaba

It's correct, she wouldn't be precluded from taking the sacrament, but I knew more than one investigator who felt that even if they technically could that they shouldn't.

What the Church Handbook says on the matter, "Although the sacrament is for Church members, the bishopric should not announce that it will be passed to members only, and nothing should be done to prevent nonmembers from partaking of it."

I think Dravin did an amazing job of answering all your concerns... And the Mormons Made Simple videos are wonderful!

My first Sunday, I was totally confused about sacrament. I knew that it was okay, but I was still a bit uncomfortable. I ended up taking half of it - I took the bread, but passed on the water... and I felt like a complete DORK!! :) The remaining time I attended church prior to being baptized, I refrained, just because I knew that taking the sacrament was renewing of covenants I had yet to make and I wanted to wait until I had actually made those covenants... (granted, I think that was only two Sundays, though, since I was baptized quite soon after making contact with the Church...)....

I think the most amazing thing I have learned in my short time of being a part of this family of believers is how amazingly accepting everyone is... and how understanding!

Be confident in what you are feeling drawn to - listen to it - and while it is easy to get caught up in the details (you should see my thread where I lamented about what to wear to my baptism!! DETAILS!!), trust and know that your Heavenly Father is very aware of the steps you are taking and is right there with you on this journey.

If you ever want to talk to someone that has just gone through this process, let me know... I don't post much on here because I feel like oftentimes other people are so much more inspired than I am, but I am more than willing to answer any questions you may have or just listen... :)

I took the sacrament before baptism and felt all the better for it. I was a little freaked that it was bread and not a wafer, but now I look forward to guessing what kind of bread it will be each week. : )

I had problems with mobility when I first started to attend church and it was easier to wear pants (it was also beau coup cold out here at the time), so I did. I still wear them sometimes.

I hadn't read all the Scriptures, and still haven't, though I am working on it.

My missionaries were great guys, but between my natural inclinations and their teenage machinations, I cursed, a lot, in front of them (you have elders jump out of the bushes at you and see what you say). I still curse and have to remember to mind my tongue.

And yet, I was able to get baptized, have been to the temple, and have gone with missionaries on lessons. If they still let me show up at church, with all of the above issues and more, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms.

I haven't had any jello, but we did have a heck of a cupcake wars RS event!