love within the family

garden12

Can love itself be the sole cementing element within a family?! i have been to many places, and i've worked with so many people. In my travels i've concluded within myself that i am completely convinced that love cannot create a family. I, myself is a product of a broken family,and i know in the near future, i know that there are uncertainties and that uncertainties could be the cause of divorce soon enough. i know that there are couples out there that stayed together through thick and thin. but how about those people who admitted that they love the person whom the were married to and then soon enough they got into the lonely road of divorce! how can all of you say that love is just a mere emotion of care nothing more nothing less, enlighten me with your opinions, thank you!

how can all of you say that love is just a mere emotion of care nothing more nothing less, enlighten me with your opinions, thank you!

I'm pretty sure that all of us don't say that. Many of us say that love is an attitude toward someone else. If you serve them selflessly and watch out for their well-being, you are loving them. I believe this is the basis of any loving relationship, including marriage.

How can a couple who loved each other dearly later be divorced? The simple answer is that they don't love each other anymore. Nothing about 'falling in love' makes it emotionally or physically impossible to 'fall back out' of it. Also I agree with Vort, while how you are defining love (actually more like accusing us of defining love) may fit a dictionary definition somewhere, I suspect a fairly high percentage of people on the board are also going to agree with the gist of Vort's definition of love.

Edited by Dravin

I'm not certain if this is the effect that you are talking about, but Dr. Gary Chapman in his Five Love Languages makes a big deal out of the "in love" infatuation that exists in the first few months/years of a relationship is short lived, then goes on to talk about (using the five love languages) how we should develop skills and attitudes that will create a "mature love" that will last.