Honesty - extreme couponing

I used to work for Walmart as a cashier. We were trained that if a customer had several coupons for a free item and the coupon said limit 2 per customer per visit, then we were to ring that customer up x-times depending how many coupons he/she had as if that customer was multiple customers. I felt that was wrong and said so, but the managers over ruled me. I was lucky I wasn't put in that position to actually have to do that. I don't know if other Walmarts had that policy, but at the one I worked at did. I also do not know if there are other stores out there with that policy - although I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work for Walmart as a cashier. We were trained that if a customer had several coupons for a free item and the coupon said limit 2 per customer per visit, then we were to ring that customer up x-times depending how many coupons he/she had as if that customer was multiple customers. I felt that was wrong and said so, but the managers over ruled me. I was lucky I wasn't put in that position to actually have to do that. I don't know if other Walmarts had that policy, but at the one I worked at did. I also do not know if there are other stores out there with that policy - although I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Which brings us to the world of work-arounds for limitations where I think arguments for dishonesty can be made.

The only way to know they wouldn't want you to use it that way would be for it to be in the fine print or for them to make an official announcement.

I would think if manufacturers disapproved of such behavior they would voice it via announcement or in the fine print. So no, due to them not doing such I do not think they disapprove of said behavior.

I think they'd say, "Wow, you really like mustard, glad it's French's brand." You are assuming that a lack of limitation of use on the coupon is some sort of oversight.

Well because being able to use multiple coupons isn't an error. If they didn't want you to use multiple coupons they would limit in the fine print. That they didn't isn't because they're all so incompetent and unintelligent over at General Mills/Jiff/Sauve that they couldn't think of putting a limit on them. Particularly since they seem to do fine putting limits and restrictions on coupons.

If I had a coupon and the clerk accidently scanned it twice that would be analogous to the bank error.

Okay. I guess I assumed the company did not intend for one costumer to use the advertising method of a coupon a hundred times over at one time. I guess I assumed wrong.

GB-UK I get the impression they are more of a US thing. The only ones I ever get are from tescos or from Iceland leaflets, and the pizza leaflets that occasionally get through

There are occasional ones in diet mags but that's about it I think

Edited by lizrenowden

I've never heard of this coupon thing before, is it a US thing or do other countries do it aswell? Where do you get all these coupons from, do you have to go somewhere to collect them or do you get them from magazines or newspapers?

Newspapers, circulars, magazines and online are all sources. My impression is that inserts in newspapers are probably the more prolific source.

Perhaps what really matters in this situation is your intent.

What I mean is this. Let's say you decide that you feel it's dishonest. You present this to the Lord and you feel his pleasure at your desire to be honest. Does it matter at that point? He's pleased and that's what I would focus on.

On the flip side, say you decide it isn't dishonest. You present this to the Lord indicating you're going to take advantage of extreme couponing in order to help support your family and you feel his pleasure at your desire to be financially independant and thrifty. Does it matter at that point? He's pleased and that is what I would focus on.

You've studied this out in your mind fairly well in my opinion and so I think it's quite fair to present it to the Lord for council/approval.

Good luck!

Maybe it's not always being dishonest, but it can be out of "moderation in all things". In general, I admire the coupon experts and how they are able to stock up on necessities.

But after extreme incidents and watching shows like "Hoarders" I see all these generally good qualities taken to extremes and abused. Reusing useful things--good. Continually taking them in--not. Storing up on food--good. Buying food constantly and letting it rot/go bad before you can eat it--not.

Coupons--good. Stocking up on things you will never need--bad.

Perhaps what really matters in this situation is your intent.

What I mean is this. Let's say you decide that you feel it's dishonest. You present this to the Lord and you feel his pleasure at your desire to be honest. Does it matter at that point? He's pleased and that's what I would focus on.

On the flip side, say you decide it isn't dishonest. You present this to the Lord indicating you're going to take advantage of extreme couponing in order to help support your family and you feel his pleasure at your desire to be financially independant and thrifty. Does it matter at that point? He's pleased and that is what I would focus on.

You've studied this out in your mind fairly well in my opinion and so I think it's quite fair to present it to the Lord for council/approval.

Good luck!

Then, maybe this same thing happens when people play the lottery or go to Vegas to gamble. Or, how about when I hire an undocumented worker to do a job because it is cheaper. There is not an absolute right or wrong, depends on how we feel about it.

Being financially independent and thrifty at the expense of others is not right. I think one has to always look at the bigger picture, not just how it affects their own family.

I agree, I personally wouldn't feel honest about participating in extreme couponing.

As you've seen it's apparent that there are more than a few who disagree.

My point is this. If your question was what is the absolute truth, by now you know you're not finding it here but rather an array of treatsies and duscussions countering your own.

Present it to the Lord for council, ask him what He feel is right and explain your feelings. Go to the source rather than trying to taste the water in multiple places downstream =).

Personally I find myself in situations where I ask for council but do not feel it forthcoming. When this happens it is often because He expects me to reason it out more before representing. That or I already know the answer but just don't want to accept it or it's something I'm not ready to understand.

We know that gambling/lottery is wrong because the prophets have received revelation from God telling us so. There are indeed absolute right and wrongs but the Lord doesn't command us in everything. He hasn't come out with a definitive list of "Thou Shalt Not"s.

It isn't a sin for someone non LDS to gamble or play the lottery. They lack the understanding we do of it's dangers and they havn't commited to following the Prophet and the council he receives for us from the Lord. Doesn't change the fact that it is dangerous and destructive... but the intent by which they perform it still does play a factor.

I read this statement and I thought to myself... much of what is done for income is sadly at the expense of someone else. I think there is a lecture by Hugh Nibley that you'll appreciate and profit from. It's called 'Approaching Zion' and is available on audio cassett from the Salt Lake County Library system if you're here in the SLC area.

Then, maybe this same thing happens when people play the lottery or go to Vegas to gamble. Or, how about when I hire an undocumented worker to do a job because it is cheaper. There is not an absolute right or wrong, depends on how we feel about it.

Being financially independent and thrifty at the expense of others is not right. I think one has to always look at the bigger picture, not just how it affects their own family.

Are you saying that we can't trust answers to prayer?

Are you saying that we can't trust answers to prayer?

In Martain's response to this post you are quoting, I realized what he was saying and thanked him for his response if you look back at that page. Yes, we can trust the answers to our prayers, especially after one has pondered the whole situation well, which is kind of what we are doing by these forums, ... pondering in written form.

Could the extreme couponing ever be filed under an addiction?

I've seen this show a few times and actively read a message board about it. It absolutely seems like an addiction for most of these folks. They spend inordinate amounts of time on it, some steal newspapers to get the coupon flyers, some spend more time on the coupons than they would at a job, many never get the connection between time/gas/lost income/spoiled food that their extreme couponing costs them. They have a weird sense of pride in their stash (rows of bottles of mustard, for example) - even when it doesn't make sense to anyone else.

Personally, I find most of the people on this show disgusting. They have vast hoards of perishable food items, I believe very few of those that say they donate from their stash, and they are upfront about putting some family needs second to their need to coupon.

I find nothing to commend them whatsoever.

I've seen this show a few times and actively read a message board about it. It absolutely seems like an addiction for most of these folks. They spend inordinate amounts of time on it, some steal newspapers to get the coupon flyers, some spend more time on the coupons than they would at a job, many never get the connection between time/gas/lost income/spoiled food that their extreme couponing costs them. They have a weird sense of pride in their stash (rows of bottles of mustard, for example) - even when it doesn't make sense to anyone else.

Personally, I find most of the people on this show disgusting. They have vast hoards of perishable food items, I believe very few of those that say they donate from their stash, and they are upfront about putting some family needs second to their need to coupon.

Gosh. It IS disgusting.

I agree. And I was looking at it from the point of the manufacturer and their costs. To the consumer it is "free" but someone had to pay for the production of the product and if that is factored into the retail value, advertising costs, then it is all who pay regular price for the product who is paying for all their "free" stuff. This happens when people just look at themselves and theirs and not at the bigger picture.

The other thing about most of the couponers (a few were LDS and I suppose they know how to store food) is that there was no understanding of long term food storage. Very little of what they stashed would stand up for the long haul. They might say they have 5 years worth of some item, but it is regular food that will only last 1-3 years. They don't get that if they want to store food long term, they need to buy food made for storage.