Law of Consecration

JThimm88

I was just curious, not knowing where to look for this information exactly, if anyone knows if the Law of Consecration has ever been practiced since Joseph Smith restored the gospel?

I was also wondering if the Law of Consecration is something that be practiced and then stopped and then started again if need be?

I understand the basics, but those were just 2 things I wasn't too sure of!

Do you mean the Law of Consecration or the United Order? It's common to conflate them but they aren't the same thing. If you do mean the latter I haven't a clue (though one could probably suss out some dates from digging about in the D&C), if you mean the former, it's still in effect.

Edited by Dravin

Pres. Eyring in last conference mentioned the 75th year anniversary of Church Welfare... that the Law Of Consecration, The United Order and Church Welfare are the same.

The Law Of Consecration is in place... and just in time... as the debt based ponzi economies of the world melt down.

I was just curious, not knowing where to look for this information exactly, if anyone knows if the Law of Consecration has ever been practiced since Joseph Smith restored the gospel?

I was also wondering if the Law of Consecration is something that be practiced and then stopped and then started again if need be?

I understand the basics, but those were just 2 things I wasn't too sure of!

The law of consecration is as much in effect now as it ever was. As others have said, you are probably confusing the law of consecration with the united order, an exercise in communal living that was intended as an expression of the law of consecration.

Pres. Eyring in last conference mentioned the 75th year anniversary of Church Welfare... that the Law Of Consecration, The United Order and Church Welfare are the same.

I believe you misapprehended President Eyring's teachings. The law of consecration is not the same thing as the united order, and neither of those is the same as church welfare. That is similar to saying that the law of chastity, plural marriage, and marriage enrichment seminars are all the same thing.

The United Order was an attempt to communally live the Law of Consecration. The United Order was attempted in Missouri and Utah, and eventually ended.

We still are expected to live a consecrated life in the Church on an individual basis, and as families. We can give of our time, talents, efforts, and money to the service of God, both in and without the Church. I find I can equally serve by being a high councilor on the stake and being a Scout leader, or working in a soup kitchen.

Ah yes, I was confusing the two of them then. I have not read D&C 119 in its entirey but will be doing so to gain further insight on the topics. To be honest, I had no idea what the United Order was until you all mentioned it, which now sheds some light on things! Thank you for the clarification all!

An insightful book that will help expand your understanding regarding the law of consecration and zion would be Elder Hugh Nibley's 'Approaching Zion'. It's excellent and available on audio as well (local library in Salt Lake City)

Last conference... President Eyring.. page 22 of May Ensign 2011

'

"His way of helping has been at times called living the law of consecration. In another period His way was call the United Order. in our time it is called the Church Welfare Program

The names and the details are changed to fit the needs and conditions of people"

Seventy five years ago a system devoted to the spiritual and temporal salvation of manikind rose from humble beginnings...Bishop Burton p.81

We celebrate 75 yearsof the church welfare program..Sister Allred p.84

Edited by dauser

• 9 months later...

I read that LDS Members voluntarily give up their material wealth, is that the Law of Consecration and do we still believe in it today? What the United Order?

The Law of Consecration is a commitment to dedicate time, talent, and wealth to the building up of God's kingdom. The United Order is one aspect of The Law of Consecration. It deals with the temporal well being of the saints.

The basic premise of the United Order is that everything we own belongs to the Lord and we are simply stewards of these items. In brief, the United Order requires that an individual should consecrate or deed all his property (material possessions) to the church. The church then deeds back a portion of property to the individual. It may be more or less then he previously had. It may not be his original possessions. This portion given back to the individual is his. He is the steward and can do as he pleases with these items. Any surplus is to be given back to the church.

The United Order, as defined in the Doctrine and Covenants, is not fully enforced today. The early saints were unable to live the law and so received the lesser law of tithing. Today we have a few aspects of the United Order. I consider them to be the law of tithing, fast offerings, and the welfare program. While these in some respects approach the United Order I do not consider them the same as living the United Order.

Edited by james12

To build on james12's answer:

The law of consecration is an eternal principle. It has always been required of the people of God, as much as any other law of God, such as the law of chastity. We Saints today, and especially those of us who have received our endowment, are obligated under the law of consecration just as much as any people who have ever lived.

The "united order" was an attempt (actually many separate attempts) to implement the law of consecration as a divine, celestial utopia. This has been done at various time since at least 2000 years ago, when we are told the ancient Saints under Peter "had all things common". In our day, paying a full tithing is a part of our obligation to live the law of consecration. (President Eyring said this in a recent General Conference, but for some reason I can't find it.)

The Law Of Consecration is in place... and just in time... as the debt based ponzi economies of the world melt down.

This can be found at:

Opportunities to Do Good - general-conference

The statement made was:

His way of helping has at times been called living the law of consecration. In another period His way was called the united order. In our time it is called the Church welfare program.

Is this... doctrine? :wow:

Many members of the church have made a covenant to obey the Law of Consecration as given in the Doctrine and Covenants. In order to understand what our duties are in obeying this law we must look to the revelations contained in the Doctrine and Covenants.

Here I have cited the main references to consecration in the Doctrine and Covenants. For the sake of brevity I have summarized the references. But do not stop at my summaries. They are only my words and NOT the Word of God. Go to each scriptural reference and read the entire revelation for yourself.

Doctrine and Covenants 42:30-35

Consecration is to help the poor. But it must be done after the proper manner. All property is to be given to the bishop. What is needed for the individual is given back to him as a stewardship. The rest of the consecrated property is to be used for: “administer[ing] to the poor and the needy,...for the purpose of purchasing lands...and building houses of worship, and building up of the New Jerusalem.”

Doctrine and Covenants 51:2-14

Unless we are organized according to God's laws we will be cut off. The bishop is to appoint stewardships unto every man equally according to their families, wants, and needs. A writing will be given to the person that secures their portion to them. If a person transgresses and is not counted worthy to belong to the church, then he cannot draw on the properties consecrated to the bishop, but he does retain the property he received. Branches of the church should not take money from each other. But if they do borrow money from another branch of the church it should be payed back as they agree. The bishop should have claim on a portion of that which is consecrated for his own support.

Doctrine and Covenants 70:7-14

Anyone who receives more than is needful for their needs and wants is to give that excess to the Bishop. This excess is to be consecrated to the inhabitants of Zion. The Lord requires this of all who have a stewardship. No one who belongs to the church is exempt from this. If we are not all equal in temporal things then Spiritual manifestations will be withheld from us.

Doctrine and Covenants 83

Women have claim upon their husband and children have claim upon their father for their support. When children come of age they have claim upon the Lord's strorehouse; along with widows, orphans, and the poor. The storehouse holds those excess properties which were consecrated to the Bishop.

Doctrine and Covenants 84:104

Missionaries who receive money from people, if they don't have a family to support, should send that money to Zion so it may be consecrated for bringing forth the revelations and printing them, and for establishing Zion.

Doctrine and Covenants 85:1-7

The Lord's clerk will keep a history and record of those who consecrate properties and who receive an inheritance. A record is to be kept of people to become apostate after receiving their inheritances. Those who do not receive an inheritance by consecration should not have their names enrolled with the people of God, neither is their genealogy to be kept. God will send One Mighty and Strong to set the church in order, and arrange by lot the inheritances of the Saints. An inheritance is a plot of land that is given to the member who consecrates their property. It is literally the land of their inheritance.

Doctrine and Covenants 105:29

The lands which are to become Zion and the Stakes of Zion are to be possessed according to the laws of consecration.

Doctrine and Covenants 124:21

One of the duties of bishop is to receive consecrated property.

Another part of consecration involves those lands that the Lord has consecrated for our use. Lands such as Kirtland, Far West, Zion(Interdependence Missouri), etc. There are many scriptures stating that the Lord has consecrated these lands for us.

Some posters have brought up the difference between the United Order and the Law of Consecration. They are correct in that there is a difference. But I believe this difference has been largely misrepresented.

The Law of Consecration as given in the Doctrine and Covenants deals with individual duties in how properties are to be consecrated to the Lord and from the Lord back to the people. The United Order however is the actual society wherein the Law of Consecration and other covenants relationships are put into practice.

The revelation detailing the United Order is contained in section 104, I suggest reading it.

Lastly there seems to be some belief that the revelation contained in Section 119 institutes as “lesser” law because people were not able to live the Law of Consecration.

I would like to reproduce the revelation contained in Section 119 here and examine it.

Doctrine and Covenants 119

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord, I require all their surplus property to be put into the hands of the bishop of my church in Zion,

2 For the building of mine house, and for the laying of the foundation of Zion and for the priesthood, and for the debts of the Presidency of my Church.

3 And this shall be the beginning of the tithing of my people.

4 And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord.

5 Verily I say unto you, it shall come to pass that all those who gather unto the land of Zion shall be tithed of their surplus properties, and shall observe this law, or they shall not be found worthy to abide among you.

6 And I say unto you, if my people observe not this law, to keep it holy, and by this law sanctify the land of Zion unto me, that my statutes and my judgments may be kept thereon, that it may be most holy, behold, verily I say unto you, it shall not be a land of Zion unto you.

7 And this shall be an ensample unto all the stakes of Zion. Even so. Amen.

In verse one we read that the Lord requires all surplus property to be put into the hands of the bishop. Surplus property is to be understood in the context of the previous consecration revelations. Meaning everything that is beyond that which is needed for the people who possess the property.

In verse two we read the purposes of those properties are to be used for. These purposes are for the building of the Lord's house(the temple), laying the foundation of Zion, for the priesthood, and for the debts of the Presidency of the Church.

Verse three tell us that this initial consecration of surplus property is the beginning of tithing.

Verse four tells us that those who have made this initial consecration should “pay one-tenth of their interest annually.” In the 1828 Webster dictionary one definition of the word interest is;

Any surplus advantage.

Here we again see the word surplus. Interest, therefor can be understood to mean the surplus that is left over after the need s of the person has been met. In a person needs $10,000 to provide for his family and he makes $15,000. Then $5,000 is his surplus/interest. It is our of this interest that the one-tenth is commanded to be payed. Therefor his tithing would be $500. Tithing is to be collected annually because it is only after one year that many people can truly see what their total expenses vs income is.

Verse four continues by stating that this is to be a standing law forever and that the one-tenth of the interest is for use of the Priesthood

Verse five states that all those who gather to the land of Zion are to be tithed according to this law or else they will not be found worthy to live there.

Verse six tells us that unless we keep this law then the land will not be the land of Zion unto us.

Verse seven tell is that this is to be an example to all the stakes of Zion. To understand this we must remember that “stakes of Zion” has a very specific meaning. Stakes of Zion are distinct from Zion, and stakes scattered abroad. This verse is telling us that even though this revelation speaks concerning Zion. It is to be and example to all the stakes of Zion as well.

In reading through this I would like to point out that nowhere does it state that consecration or the United Order are done away with. Rather I would like to list these reasons why I personally believe that tithing is not a “lesser law” and can only be lived, as commanded, if we are living the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants:

- The revelation never refutes consecration.

- Verse 3 states that the initial consecration of surplus is the BEGINNING of tithing. If tithing was a “lesser law” why would a “higher law” be used as a beginning to establish a “lesser law”?

- Verse 4 states that only those people who have made the initial consecration are to pay one-tenth of their interest.

- Verse 4 also states that this law of tithing is to be a standing law unto us forever. Why would a lesser law be established “forever” as opposed to until the people can get their act together and live consecration?

- Verses 5-7 states that this law is top be used to establish Zion.

Ultimately what the revelation in section 119 institutes is procedure wherein a small portion of the annually consecrated property is reserved for the use of the priesthood.

I have not been able to find a revelation where consecration or the United Order was commanded to be stopped. If there is one someone please send it to me or link to it. Additionally since members still covenant to obey the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants. The only conclusion I can come to is that neither the Law of Consecration nor the United Order were done away by God's command, but rather we simply stopped practicing them.

But again that's just my personal opinion. Search the scriptures and come to your own conclusion.

I have not been able to find a revelation where consecration or the United Order was commanded to be stopped. If there is one someone please send it to me or link to it. Additionally since members still covenant to obey the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants. The only conclusion I can come to is that neither the Law of Consecration nor the United Order were done away by God's command, but rather we simply stopped practicing them.

But again that's just my personal opinion. Search the scriptures and come to your own conclusion.

I do not have a lot of time to answer all your thoughts and they are well worth considering. However, in regards to the United Order being postponed we have these words from the Lord.

“Let those commandments which I have given concerning Zion and her law be executed and fulfilled, after her redemption.” (D&C 105:34)

J. Ruben Clark has commented, "The United Order lasted, in theory, for some three and a quarter years, and then it was discontinued, withdrawn by the Lord, because of the greed and selfishness of men” (“Testimony of Divine Origin of Welfare Plan,” Church News, 8 Aug. 1951, p. 3).

He also made these comments:

It was under these circumstances, with the Saints scattered and sometimes hunted like wild animals, with their property gone, their organization largely broken up, wounded in mind and spirit, with the condemnation of the Lord pronounced upon their heads because of their unfaithfulness, not to say wickedness, with ‘Zion’ to all intents and purposes destroyed, that the Lord commanded them, in the great revelation given at Fishing River,—

"And let those commandments which I have given concerning Zion and her law be executed and fulfilled, after her redemption." (105:34)

It is interesting to note that after this pronouncement, the Lord practically never referred to the United Order in his revelations to the Prophet. The people had had their opportunity and failed. He then gave them the law of tithing in a revelation given in Missouri itself, in Zion, (July 18, 1838, Sec. 119 ), which is still in full force and effect. . . .

Thus the Lord directed that the law he had given regarding the setting up of the United Order in Zion was to be ‘executed and fulfilled’ after the redemption of Zion, that is, in the meaning in which the Lord was then using the word Zion, the ‘redemption,’ the reestablishment of the people in Missouri. This has not yet been accomplished.” (“The United Order and Law of Consecration As Set Out in the Revelations of the Lord,” Church News, 15 Sept. 1945, p. 9.)

Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual - Section 105 - Revelation to Zion's Camp

An insightful book that will help expand your understanding regarding the law of consecration and zion would be Elder Hugh Nibley's 'Approaching Zion'. It's excellent and available on audio as well (local library in Salt Lake City)

That is a good book. :)

Another one, that tackles the matter from a more practical angle, is Working Toward Zion: Principles of the United Order for the Modern World, by James Lucas and Warner Woodworth (Foreword by Hugh Nibley). They point out that even though the Church has not (yet) officially reestablished the United Order, we can nevertheless apply the principles of consecration in our daily lives on an individual or family basis, and in our business dealings. At one level, it involves giving an honest day's work for an honest day's wages, but also giving an honest day's wages for an honest day's work. It may be applied by doing profit sharing with your employees, which could both given them a greater stake in how the company performs, and more equitably recompense them for their labors, and improve the esprit de corps. They give examples of other things we can do, too.

There is not necessarily any "one right way" to do it. The early saints who practiced the Law of Consecration did it in a whole bunch of ways. Each United Order operated differently, as seen in the book Building the City of God: Community and Cooperation among the Mormons, by Leonard Arrington, Feramorz Fox, and Dean May. There's a variety of ways to do it, but the basic principle of consecration may be summed up by the motto of the Three Musketeers, "All for one, and one for all." Babylon teaches "Look out for Number One," while Zion teaches that other people are important, too.

Peace,

HEP

Edited by HEthePrimate

I've tried to think about it and search all I could on the subject of redeeming and establishing Zion. There's nothing really there other than just some old examples that definitely didn't work out. I've also tried to figure it out in my head and asked everyone I know about it. Nothing. Then I read the Redemption of Zion talk given by Orson Pratt and it made sense why I was having so much trouble...

"Now, a great many, without reading these things, have flattered themselves that we are the ones who are going to do all this work. It is not so; we have got to be helpers, we have got to be those who cooperate with the remnants of Joseph in accomplishing this great work; for the Lord will have respect unto them, because they are of the blood of Israel, and the promises of their fathers extend to them, and they will have the privilege of building that city, according to the pattern that the Lord shall give." -Orson Pratt, The Redemption of Zion

It's the Lamanites, the Native Americans that have it written in their hearts. Our instinct is that of gatherers, that's what Ephraimites do.

I think it has been postponed, but we are the ones postponing it. The Lord isn't waiting for something...we are.

You may need to define communism, most definitions I'm familiar with stipulate the lack of private property ownership which was not a feature of the United Order. Individuals, not the Church, ended up owning the property. The other definition I'm familiar with is communal ownership of property but that still wasn't the case. If once everything was said and done I ended up with 25 acres, 12 chickens, and 2 cows they were my property not the communities. Once again, individual ownership.