My Brother... Excommunication or Disfellowship?

MikePr

As someone who has a family member with manic-depression, it's no wonder he has a cycle of sleeping with people.

That's perfectly understandable. When you're manic, you don't think about anything but how amazing everything is and every duty you have is a horrible inconvenience that nobody else has to deal with. Oftentimes, these people will spend their life savings, lose family and friends... The works.

Then, after a few months of manicness, the depression kicks in. Suddenly, the world comes crashing down and they're the worst person in the world.

If he does have, as you say, severe manic-depression? The only answer is medication. And that's a hard answer. When you're manic, everything is fine and you don't want to take medication, Why would you? You're not sick. Everything is great! You're charismatic and fun and everyone loves you. When you're depressed, you don't want to take medication. Why would you? You're a terrible person whom nothing can help.

He needs to stop that cycle. He needs to take medication, then admit what happened. Inspiration will guide him on the path he needs, whether it be disfellowship or excommunication. But he won't be able to stick with it without medication.

Did you mean for this to be in this thread?

Do a search on her posts, Pam. Every thread she's been in had links to pictures and generic responses like 'Very good thread!' or this one.

My guess? Spammer.

PS: Since this thread will probably be removed along with hers, can you get rid of the two ghost notifications I've got, Pam? I've got an unread message that doesn't exist and an unread friend request that doesn't exist. ;)

Dear Sister,

Going back is always the answer. Medication is part of the answer. I would go along to the church building and wait outside for him. There are a lot worse things than being disciplined by the church, like not being disciplined by the church! Deep breaths all round. Hold his hand. Tough situation for you. You are in my heart,

Your brother is lucky to have you. Continue to fast and pray as a family. There is true power in that.

I think it is important to talk to him about his emotions and depression. He will need support through the repentance process. Ask your brother if it is okay to talk to his Bishop after he has (or even before). I am not insinuating that you should confess for him as that's his place ... but I think it might be helpful to talk to the Bishop about his depressive episodes and his progress and your fears and if there could be a support system in place while he walks the road of repentance. Just a thought. It might be good to ask the Bishop to follow up with him frequently.

Most of all...you can be a source of support...by listening to him...loving him...and encouraging him along the path. Hopefully he doesn't let what he has done devastate or define his life. "Today is the first day for the rest of our lives".

Seek for guidance too from the Lord, and as necessary from your Bishop (who does not know him).

Having seen what Bipolar did to a very dear friend-including throwing her baby across the room I can see why he has made poor choices.

He needs to see a Psychiatrist & get a proper diagnosis & treatment plan.Then when the meds are kicked in he hopefully will see light at the end of the tunnel.

What he needs is help,support & encouragement & if you or other family members can offer this with the further support of a good Bishop/Home Teachers then this would be a good start.

That's the great thing about the Atonement -we are forgiven not once twice or even three times but every time we repent we are forgiven.We have to live with the past we have created but if we have truly repented then the Lord has no memory of it.It's gone.

.Sometimes we are our own worst enemies & critics-we allow Satan to drag us down to despair thinking "I've messed up again I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" This is again denying the Atonement & the pure love that our Saviour has for us.He's our biggest cheerleader He wants us to be happy & to succeed in life & for us to fulfill our potential.

Man is that he might have joy-we can't have joy(peace of mind) if we are not in good standing with the Lord or the Church.Help him back do what you can to help him achieve that.

I think if he is truly repentant, it won't matter what a disciplinary council might do. There are a lot of factors to consider in a disciplinary council...

1) How long ago did the transgression take place?

2) How sincerely repentant is the transgressor?

3) Mental Health Issues would be taken into consideration.

4) Is this a pattern?

These are just a few things that are considered. A disciplinary council will deliberate and will ultimately make a decision that is confirmed by the Lord to best help the transgressor. He might need some time to work some things out in his life... that is what church discipline does... gives one a space to repent.

I would encourage your brother to talk to his Bishop as soon as possible. It will be a turning point in his life and he will be able to start the road to repentance and have access to the healing balm the Savior has to offer.