My late husband was baptized and confirmed today!

dahlia

I went to Nauvoo today. This time I had more time for the tourist stuff and did a tour of Wilfred Woodruff's house, saw a play, got a Nauvoo brick and generally had a great time.

When I went to bed last night, it dawned on me that maybe I should try and get my late husband's temple work begun, but then I forgot about it this morning. When I was at the temple, I asked if it was too late to try, as I didn't have the printout slip. Well, the sisters and brothers worked like crazy and despite some initial problems, I got his info in the system.

I am more than happy to say that today I was able to get my husband baptized and confirmed in the Temple at Nauvoo. There was a group of rugby players from New Zealand there and one of the Maori guys (my husband would have loved that) did it by proxy as I watched. I was able to shake his hand later.

Halleluiah! I didn't think it would be done this soon, but I am so happy and grateful that it is. We are one step closer to being sealed. How wonderful to belong to this Church where families can be together forever.

I was afraid it might be too strong for this board. People get offended so easily.

Well...it is pretty offensive. But I'm trying hard to choke down my outrage.

On a more serious note, congratulations on your husband's proxy baptism!

Nauvoo Temple is a wonderful place. My wife and I were married there almost 9 years ago.

Is it really 9 years since the Nauvoo temple was rebuilt? I'm betting they'd only just finished laying the last stone when you and your wife were married there!

I thought I'd mention why I wanted to see Wilford Woodruff's house. If any of you have seen the short film about him, you know that Woodruff looked at a variety of religions, seeking the true church for some time. Eventually, two Mormon missionaries knocked on his door, telling his wife. "We have come to proclaim that the true church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the Earth." (a short version of the film is here:

I first saw this film at a baptism. Everything was fine until the missionaries spoke. Just then, the bishop's wife looked down the row right at me and smiled. I almost fainted. I had to stop myself from bursting into tears. I weep as I type this now, so moved am I by the thought that as I too searched for truth, two missionaries knocked on my door. They found me and now I have the Church.

Perhaps this is a holdover from Catholicism, but I think of Woodruff as my 'patron saint.' For those who haven't heard it before, you can hear Woodruff's voice and testimony at:

I went to Nauvoo today. This time I had more time for the tourist stuff and did a tour of Wilfred Woodruff's house, saw a play, got a Nauvoo brick and generally had a great time.

When I went to bed last night, it dawned on me that maybe I should try and get my late husband's temple work begun, but then I forgot about it this morning. When I was at the temple, I asked if it was too late to try, as I didn't have the printout slip. Well, the sisters and brothers worked like crazy and despite some initial problems, I got his info in the system.

I am more than happy to say that today I was able to get my husband baptized and confirmed in the Temple at Nauvoo. There was a group of rugby players from New Zealand there and one of the Maori guys (my husband would have loved that) did it by proxy as I watched. I was able to shake his hand later.

Halleluiah! I didn't think it would be done this soon, but I am so happy and grateful that it is. We are one step closer to being sealed. How wonderful to belong to this Church where families can be together forever.

Congrats, and that sounds like a wonderful experience :)