Favorite iphone apps

john doe

I just joined the 21st century by getting an iphone. I'm finding that there are tons of apps out there for it, but there don't seem to be many filters that tell you whether an app is worth downloading or using. What are some of your favorite apps or games to use?

I've downloaded a few fitness and exercise apps, but have found that some are kind of clunky. Nike Trainer looks like it may be interesting. What about picture apps? Good games? The previous owner had Angry Birds, and it's okay. Productivity or note apps? I'm cheap, so I won't pay for an app unless it promises to be awesome.

I just joined the 21st century by getting an iphone. I'm finding that there are tons of apps out there for it, but there don't seem to be many filters that tell you whether an app is worth downloading or using. What are some of your favorite apps or games to use?

I've downloaded a few fitness and exercise apps, but have found that some are kind of clunky. Nike Trainer looks like it may be interesting. What about picture apps? Good games? The previous owner had Angry Birds, and it's okay. Productivity or note apps? I'm cheap, so I won't pay for an app unless it promises to be awesome.

Mine run more along the Ipad variety, but here goes.

Apps.

RPG Calc

LDS scriptures

Talmage Collection

History of the Church

Cinex

iBook

Media Folders

Calculator XL

Dictionary.com

Free Books

Maps

Evernote

Bloom County (really funny comics.. if you don't know them, i'd suggest looking them up)

USB Disk (I really enjoy this app, its really helpful)

TED (this is pretty cool )

OPlayerHD

I want to get the app that lets you remote control your computer, as well as refind the calculator/net browser/notebook combo app i had once.

Games

(puzzle)

Lasers Free

The Penal Zone

Call of atlantis

Bejeweled

MadCap

Ball escape

Finger Physics

(Sim)

Pocket frogs

Trade Nations (I'm blackmarch if ya want to add me, if any of you have tried this one)

(board)

Ludo

4 in a Row

Laser Chess

Chess Free

Board Games

Esfera

Gameroom

Martian Chess

Conquist

(multiplayer)

Tron

Lightbike2

Worms

Worms 2

Spectre

(Tower Defense- a type of game where you have to set up defenses along an approach paath to your base to keep invaders from reaching it, kinda like the death star run in Star Wars, only you get to be on the death star side)

Tower Madness

Plants Vs Zombies

Starfall

3KTD

Edited by Blackmarch

The apps I use on my iphone are:

Weather (Handy to see what the weather will be for the next 5 days--wherever I might be)

Scriptures (LDS, and I tend to read my scriptures more because I always have my phone with me)

LDS Tools

Stanza (Books you can read on your phone)

eReader (Again, more books)

Seismic XML (Just me, but I like looking up the earthquakes that have happened recently in the world)

Calculator

Maps (Use it all the time to find an address I have to drive to for the first time)

Pandora (Music)

Big Oven (Recipes)

The Weather Channel

REI Snow Report

YouTube

Flixster (Movies)

Sportacular (sports)

Some of the games I play are:

Sol Free (Solitaire)

reMovem free

Flood-It!

CatchaMouse

Tap Tap

CannonGame

CoolFacts

PenguinLite

Sudoku

Hangman

Word Warp

Whirly Word

I do a lot of traveling so I like these apps:

Rick Steves Audio Europe

Frommer's Travel Tools

Translator

HearPlanet

Trailguru

Currency

Dial Codes

Order and Chaos Online has been taking up a bit of my time lately. It's basically World of Warcraft on an iPhone or iPad if you're in to that kind of thing.

Out of curiosity, what type of iPhone or iPad app would you find useful or most like to see done better?

I recently finished making a large custom iPad app for a company so I'm curious what people would like to see on the app store since I need a new pet project to work on and wouldn't mind making some extra cash if it sells a few copies.

I got an AR.Drone this weekend..... so my new favorite app is the remote control for my new toy.

It has two cameras which transmit video back to the iPhone via wifi along with telemetry data. Steering is performed by tilting the phone which is picked up with the phone's gyroscopes... it's a ton of fun. :)

If you don't want a phone but what a new ipod get an iTouch. If you have wireless in your house it's great. I love my iTouch. My favorite app is Convertbot. You can convert almost anything - money, weight, power, etc..

a remote desktop that doesn't require a server to link into.

I don't have an iPhone or iPad but my children want one. I'm a little worried to let them have another way to go online and access so much information. I realize a lot of it is good, but there is so much I don't want them seeing out there. Do you know of any apps to track what my kids are doing on their iPad if I get them one? I don't mind them playing games and I'd love to get them some of the scripture and LDS apps you've all mentioned, but how do I block the bad stuff?

Some of the IPhone apps I use are:

Istake or Iward. They cost but it puts your stake directory at your fingertips. Syncs your lds member log in info.

Evernote is great and free

I like information so I have several news apps:

AP Mobile

USA Today

FoxNews

SL Trib

News360

CNET news

Financial apps:

CNBC

CNNMoney

Bloomberg

Mint.com

Navigation:

Geocaching

GPS MotionX

Sports:

ESPN and Yahoo sports

Entertainment:

Showtimes

IMDB

Redbox

Fandango

Netflix

Church:

LDS Hymns

LDSTools

IWard

Gospel Library

Scriptures

Deseret Book new app

Politics:

Politico

Real Clear Politics

Health:

MyFitnessPal

Fooducate

Hands only CPR

Heart rate

Those are a few on my IPhone

a remote desktop that doesn't require a server to link into.

As in, a direct connection between your iphone and your computer/network without having to go through any third party servers? You can already do this via multiple methods, although the purpose of the third party server in most instances is to prevent the user having to configure their firewalls, as that can add complexity into the equation.

All you need to use though is the VPN software that is built into the iphone (this will essentially connect you to your home network like you were on wifi), and a free VNC application (this is what you'd use to get the remote desktop interface - loads on the app store). The potentially complex part is setting up your home network/computer to accept and recognize the incoming VPN packets (hence why most people usually use third party servers). If you have a router, it may already have the software installed for you to configure, or you may have to put a solution in yourself.

Either way, no iphone app can do the configuration of your home network for you, and every network is different, so it's hard to automate the process in any way.

Edited by Mahone

• 1 month later...

I don't have an iThing. But this week I got an Asus Transformer tablet that runs Android.

LDS Tools is free and syncs the ward and stake directories. (wife has it on her iPad)

Words With Friends is a fun scrabble game you play with your friends or strangers.

Also have LDS Gospel Library.

And of course Facebook and Twitter.