Worst BJJ injury ever

Vort

Which is why I think that such "sports" are totally stupid. It is one thing to practice martial arts. It is another thing to use them in a street fight mentality way.

Nah. This is just an exceptionally bad dislocation. I have seen serious dislocations in junior high school wrestling; had things gone worse, something like this well might have occurred. Accidents happen.

• 1 year later...

Which is why I think that such "sports" are totally stupid. It is one thing to practice martial arts. It is another thing to use them in a street fight mentality way.

I believe it certainly is a sport, and martial arts were designed to be used in a fighting manner. This does not equate to street fighting. Breaking boards and paying 200 dollars to test for a new belt are not martial arts. Those are schools that inflate a child/ persons ego to think they can handle situations they are not equipped for.

you can find much worse injuries in every sport. I have trained in mixed martial arts for several years. If you look at a list of dangerous sports mixed martial arts and brazillian jiu jitsu are not even in the top ten. Brazilian Jiu jitsu is actual really common and a fantastic form of self defense for women. The reason being is that bjj teaches and proves that a smaller weaker opponent can defeat a bigger stronger opponent.

The fact of the matter is any martial art is dangerous. If you take a look at bruce lee he was very insistent that the only way to get better was with full contact strikes. This was the way the martial arts world worked. Then you had a movie happen, about the time the Karate kid came out ( the original) you saw a huge surge of of what we call mcdojos.

These schools played off the idea of a watered down training regiment spending time breaking boards and using your " honor" and such to defeat opponents. These schools are the typical tae kwon do schools that charge you each time your child or your self attempts to move up in a belt ranking. Often times you will see a child/adult become a black belt in a matter of 1 to 2 years. When you have a person who thinks that they are a black belt and can take on the world, you have someone who tries to defend themselves in situations that they can not handle. I read in martial arts magazines all the time about some poor kid who thought they could defend against a group of kids and ultimately ends up crippled or killed due to this "knowledge".

The fact is bjj is a incredibly effective martial art for self defense. It in my opinion it is certainly a sport, as is mixed martial arts. I am sorry to have ranted about this, but it makes me very sad when I hear comments thrown at mixed martial arts practitioners. I have them thrown at me too. This lack of understanding leads to skewed ideas about the sport and the people who participate in it. What it comes down to is most of us are loving parents and the most humble human beings on the planet. We simply love a sport that most are largely unaware of and misunderstand. This goes for Miguel Torres as well, the owner of the toe in this post.

Edited by Vader_Orlag

Yeah. I'm a peaceful guy. I've been in exactly one fight in my entire life, in middle school, which I lost horribly. But I managed to damage someone's toe (not as bad as this picture), just by standing there in Thai Kickboxing class with a dumb look on my face. My job was to hold the bag - other guy's job was to kick the bag and not me. I did my job, he needs more practice.

You should see the injuries you get out of soccer. SOCCER. You know, the one everybody calls the wimpy sport. My brother dislocated his shouder in that sport. He can't go through airport security's metal detectors. He has to get scanned. That pin in his shoulder sets them off consistently. He is bionic man!

And they showed in NBC's Olympics coverage this US diver a while back hit his head on the diving board on his way down.

And they showed in NBC's Olympics coverage gymnast Keri Strug fall off the uneven bars breaking her back in 1994.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Yep, got 2 kids in Gracie Barra BJJ. No injuries yet. Referees in the tournaments don't wait for the other guy to tap out. They stop the game within a few seconds of a lock. I got a 10-year-old neighbor that plays football. No injuries yet either. My husband had to have a bunch of stitches on his head when he was in T-Ball - 6 years old or so - after some kid swung the bat, let go of it, and hit my husband on the eye with it. Freak accident of course. And then I got my son who was 4 years old when he flew off a swing and had to get surgery on his elbow. Yes, he did not fall off the swing. He FLEW off the swing. On purpose. Yeah, never stopped him from riding swings. His elbow did not quite set properly (really difficult to do at 4 years old), so his elbow over-extends quite a bit - kinda like double-jointed. Supposed to give him a great edge in BJJ but, of course, the refs don't wait for my son to tap - they stop the game even if my kid purposely gave the opponent the arm to get a great position.

Anyway, I don't watch the tournaments. I'm a wimp. Everytime I see them scrimmage, I think to myself... "I expended all this energy keeping them safe and they just go right on and get themselves choked!". Yeah, I can't quite shake that feeling off.

Edited by anatess

Yeah. I'm a peaceful guy. I've been in exactly one fight in my entire life, in middle school, which I lost horribly. But I managed to damage someone's toe (not as bad as this picture), just by standing there in Thai Kickboxing class with a dumb look on my face. My job was to hold the bag - other guy's job was to kick the bag and not me. I did my job, he needs more practice.

HAHA. It is always a bad experience to kick with your foot. Especially if it actually hits another person. I am sure it hurt him far more than it hurt you. That is the nature of muay thai, hit with the shin and your good. Hit with the foot and you're likely to break some bones in that foot!

You should see the injuries you get out of soccer. SOCCER. You know, the one everybody calls the wimpy sport. My brother dislocated his shouder in that sport. He can't go through airport security's metal detectors. He has to get scanned. That pin in his shoulder sets them off consistently. He is bionic man!

And they showed in NBC's Olympics coverage this US diver a while back hit his head on the diving board on his way down.

And they showed in NBC's Olympics coverage gymnast Keri Strug fall off the uneven bars breaking her back in 1994.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Yep, got 2 kids in Gracie Barra BJJ. No injuries yet. Referees in the tournaments don't wait for the other guy to tap out. They stop the game within a few seconds of a lock. I got a 10-year-old neighbor that plays football. No injuries yet either. My husband had to have a bunch of stitches on his head when he was in T-Ball - 6 years old or so - after some kid swung the bat, let go of it, and hit my husband on the eye with it. Freak accident of course.

Funny enough I think basketball actually has the most injuries of any other sport. That is very good to hear of parents having their children in bjj classes. My daughter always goes to the gym with me and loves it. Of course she is two and does not participate but, if she ever decides she wants to and is old enough I will spill over the edge with joy!

Edited by Vader_Orlag

Hidden

Ouch ouch ouch.

Yep, got 2 kids in Gracie Barra BJJ. No injuries yet. Referees in the tournaments don't wait for the other guy to tap out. They stop the game within a few seconds of a lock. I got a 10-year-old neighbor that plays football. No injuries yet either. My husband had to have a bunch of stitches on his head when he was in T-Ball - 6 years old or so - after some kid swung the bat, let go of it, and hit my husband on the eye with it. Freak accident of course.

Funny enough I think basketball actually has the most injuries of any other sport. That is very good to hear of parents having their children in bjj classes. My daughter always goes to the gym with me and loves it. Of course she is two and does not participate but, if she ever decides she wants to and is old enough I will spill over the edge with joy!

HAHA. It is always a bad experience to kick with your foot. Especially if it actually hits another person. I am sure it hurt him far more than it hurt you.

Yep, it didn't hurt me the least tinest bit. The only reason I knew I had been kicked, is because I heard a horrible crunching sound, and then watched the guy limp around for the rest of the class. He and his brother seemed to appreciate the humor too, but I can't bring myself to laugh about it, even though it wasn't even broken.

Yep, it didn't hurt me the least tinest bit. The only reason I knew I had been kicked, is because I heard a horrible crunching sound, and then watched the guy limp around for the rest of the class. He and his brother seemed to appreciate the humor too, but I can't bring myself to laugh about it, even though it wasn't even broken.

Do you still train in muay thai?

HAHA. It is always a bad experience to kick with your foot. Especially if it actually hits another person. I am sure it hurt him far more than it hurt you. That is the nature of muay thai, hit with the shin and your good. Hit with the foot and you're likely to break some bones in that foot!

I just followed my dad's policy. In addition to school, we have to have music lessons, sports, and martial arts. Ballet counts as sports, not music, and wrestling can count as either sport or martial arts but not both.

• 1 month later...
Guest RexOdatis
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

It's always amazing how clean the skin will tear...Nasty, that happened to me a couple of years ago, Jigsaw matts fail.

Edited by RexOdatis
  • 3 months later...

I've never been a fan of BJJ. I've seen a lot of flaws in fighting systems that have rules as far as street fighting goes. Yes, it works against those who haven't trained very long in anything. I've done Ed Parker ( original) kenpo for a while, about 6 years are so. All fighting systems have some effectiveness, but not all are equally effective.

Hey, I'm not a BJJer. I wish I were. I did take karate for a couple of years. I finally came to the conclusion that it was bull caca when I "won" a "tournament" in Las Vegas, which my cousin and I had taken our girlfriends to (I later married mine :)), and I realized while walking around the strip that I and my awesome, tournament-winning "skills" would be helpless to protect myself, much less my girlfriend, were we to be accosted by a determined attacker, even unarmed. I quit in disgust and never really did much with karate after that point. Wish I had known about judo back then, but I assumed it was just another form of karate. (Yeah, I was pretty ignorant.)