When is someone ready for a book of mormon?

thealienthing

So I have been friends with this girl for a while now. Her name is Sarah, and in the months that we have known each other, we have become really close friends and I have developed great love and trust in her. I really respect her especially for her morals that are extremely similar to the church. She is a non-member and we have had many discussions about the gospel. I've told her about the plan of salvation and resurrection.

She asked me if it bothers me that she isn't really into religion and stuff and it really doesn't bother me. I just told her that I would love nothing more than to share my happiness with her. She really respected that. I really want to share the gospel with her, but I definitely don't want to shove it down here throat. I just want to know what I can do besides carry on with our friendship. When is it a good time to give her a book of mormon. I love her a lot and I really want to share the gospel with her. She has such great potential. What can I do?

Maybe something like, "Here's a Book of Mormon. It has helped me a lot. We have talked a lot about religion and our beliefs, and so I thought you might like to read it. It's about blah blah blah. Here are a couple of my favorite parts."

hmmmm how many months have you known her? cause religion is a very touchy subject and can ruin relationships if you are not careful. I would have to agree with Vort, but maybe Give her a Bible instead, especially the New Testament. Give her the knowledge of Jesus Christ and his teachings. The Gospels are the best to start with.

I like Vort's answer. Just present it to her. You can do it just as Vort mentioned and let it go at that. If she chooses to follow up with it, that is awesome. If not, you have at least made an effort.

I've had friends from other religions hand me some of their literature. I just politely thank them and move on.

I just don't want her to feel pressured and get completely turned off to even looking in to the gospel.

There is only pressure if you pressure her. Giving her a book that you enjoyed is not pressure; it's sharing part of yourself. Whether she reads the book or not is up to her.

Okay. Thanks for the words of advice. I've known her for several months and we have become a lot closer. I really hope that things can work out. She could be such a good strong member. :)

When you give her the Book of Mormon, my suggestion is to do just that -- give her the book. Don't turn it into a production. Just say that this is the book you have mentioned before and it means a lot to you, you wanted to give her a copy, and (if the Spirit moves you) bear a short testimony. Then let her do with it what she will, just as if you had given her a favorite novel to read. Yes, I realize it's different, but the attitude should be "I'm sharing with you something I value," rather than "It is vitally important that you read and accept this or you will be cast off, and I really really really really really don't want that!"

Of course, if she starts asking questions, there's your chance to answer...

During one of your gospel discussions, you could ask her if she would like to read a copy of the Book of Mormon, so she can find out what it is all about. If she says no, then no harm done, and there isn't a book staring her in the face making her feel she has to accept it.