Do you believe in being "destined" to be together?

Hidden

I know someone who has a very special blessing in their patriarchial blessing. she is told that when her and her future husband see each other, they will know that they knew each other in the pre-mortal existence and that they are supposed to be together. it's a very beautiful blessing.

I have never heard of that in a patriarchal blessing before. I was talking to someone I knew at church and he told me of a patriarchal blessing he read once. At a first glance it was so short he felt sorry for the person. But reading the blessing he said it was very powerful. It stated he would become a general authority though I cannot recall what position he said. When I read thru my blessing I know it is inspired. How could anyone know me so well and know what trials I would face in the future?

I know someone who has a very special blessing in their patriarchial blessing. she is told that when her and her future husband see each other, they will know that they knew each other in the pre-mortal existence and that they are supposed to be together. it's a very beautiful blessing.

I have never heard of that in a patriarchal blessing before. I was talking to someone I knew at church and he told me of a patriarchal blessing he read once. At a first glance it was so short he felt sorry for the person. But reading the blessing he said it was very powerful. It stated he would become a general authority though I cannot recall what position he said.

When I read thru my blessing I know it is inspired. How could anyone know me so well and know what trials I would face in the future?

Every time I see this thread, I start hearing in my head, "I've seen that smile somewhere before. . ."

Gag! Saturday's Warrior is such a joke to me. It portrays the Gospel like a poorly written, awful movie to me.

Edit: Maybe I should remove this post as I know it is bound to offend someone :)

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

• 1 year later...
Guest LiterateParakeet

Why does everyone seem to suppose it is an either or kind of thing?

Perhaps there are some who were promised to each other before this life, and others who choose here. I too, know of someone whose patriarchal blessing says he will marry someone he contracted with in the pre-exsistence. So I know it does happen, but I have always imagined it to be rare, not the norm. In the end though, does it matter how you met? I don't think either way makes marraige easier or more special. There is work involved in marraige, no matter how you come together.

About pre-destination, what about callings? Whatever you wish to call it, we do believe that Joseph Smith (and others) were chosen to do here on earth what they did. So by the same token, it seems possible to me that some may have a partner chosen before this life to help with something they are asked to do here.

• 5 years later...

all i know is im scared to death to make a wrong choice if it is destiny or pre-destined im screwed if i make the wrong person, my patriarchal blessing literally says god has chosen her for me already and she is being prepared which isnt good news for me because I DONT KNOW WHO SHE IS, GREAT IF GOD KNOWS BUT IF I DONT CHOOSE RIGHT im gonna be cast out of gods kingdom. it says i need to find her but great there are millions of women and i dont even get a clue, let alone a map, i need massive help because this literally has caused me to be depressed, suicidal, confused, anxious you name it and ive felt it. any comments will help. im 23 and no job no direction, no clue where to look.

13 minutes ago, ericdav said:

all i know is im scared to death to make a wrong choice if it is destiny or pre-destined im screwed if i make the wrong person, my patriarchal blessing literally says god has chosen her for me already and she is being prepared which isnt good news for me because I DONT KNOW WHO SHE IS, GREAT IF GOD KNOWS BUT IF I DONT CHOOSE RIGHT im gonna be cast out of gods kingdom. it says i need to find her but great there are millions of women and i dont even get a clue, let alone a map, i need massive help because this literally has caused me to be depressed, suicidal, confused, anxious you name it and ive felt it. any comments will help. im 23 and no job no direction, no clue where to look.

If she's been chosen for you then you'll be brought together.  Don't obsess.  Date.  Find your match.  

9 minutes ago, ericdav said:

the only surety i have is she wil be able to help me with my anxiety issues, other than that no idea.

That’s an awesome promise, but . . . what will you do for her?

I don’t mean this to sound the way it’s going to sound, but . . . Do you enjoy the company of women?  I ask that because I’m an introvert and really didn’t like just being around people (let alone women) for a lot of my single life.  I dated, not because I found it an enjoyable way to spend time; but because I knew it was a preliminary step to marriage and I knew that I planned to be married at some point in the future.  It was some years before I began to like being around women, became a better conversationist, and starts to enjoy dating for its own sake—and that’s when I met the woman who wound up becoming my wife. I didn’t see her as a potential mate at first; just as a quirky specimen of humanity who I was interested in knowing better.  

I hope you’ll pardon me for saying that I see a lot of my past self in you.

3 minutes ago, ericdav said:

yes i like being around women too much honestly, i hate being around men, but how does that help when there are millions of women to choose from? should i just date 1 million women?

I mean, date as many as you want. You'll know when you find the right one. But you can't find her unless you're going on dates with women. 

Edited by BeccaKirstyn

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, ericdav said:

that will take forever to find though thats alot of women to date

People take dating so deadly serious. Lighten up! Have fun! Go out with different girls. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you move on. That simple. You are bound to find someone you are compatible with soon enough. 

Edited by MormonGator

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

People take dating so deadly serious. Lighten up! Have fun! Go out with different girls. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you move on. That simple. 

Ugh...I wish more men thought like this. My generation is really screwed up with this whole dating thing. 

@MormonGator, agreed!! 

I recently chatted with a man who said he refused to take women out on first dates if he isn't good friends with them beforehand. He's willing to "chill" with these girls he doesn't know, with his "bros". But he won't go on a first date with them because "getting to know them is so boring in a date setting". I was just like....*facepalm*. That's the whole point of the date! And you're doing it wrong if you think it's boring. 

@ericdav, don't take dating so seriously. Don't approach it as this quest to finding "the one". Approach it with enjoying getting to know these women, seeing if they have qualities you like, and if there's one that seems to stand out from the others then start to more seriously date her. Then start bringing in The Lord as you start contemplating serious courtship and marriage. The Lord has prepared many women to be a future wife and mother.