Wayward Children Born under the Covenant

Vanhin

No one is left out of an opportunity to be exalted. However, not every couple has received the sealing ordinances, from Adam and Eve to today. Those who received the ordinances, and are true to them, whether they received them in this life or vicariously in the next, are whose children are affected. Only children either born to parents who are sealed, or later sealed to their parents are recepients of these blessings. The doctrine does not negate agency, as has been clarified by myself and by some of the quotations I have posted. What it appears to do is offer extra time, extra opportunity for the children to repent, or suffer the penalties, if they want to be exalted. If they choose not to be exalted, then of course they will not be, but will instead be received into one of the other kingdoms of glory.

Well, parents who never receive the sealing ordinances, of their own choice, are not able to give their children this extra benefit in their quest for salvation. That's what is unique. It's no different, from a secular perspective, when you have children born into circumstances where there is some form of dysfunction, such as substance abuse or physical abuse, compared to children born into stable families. One group is arguably at an advantage over the other, yet both have an opportunity to succeed in life.

I think your statement about outer darkness is flawed. Accepting the ordinances and obeying the commandements does not save you from outer darkness, but rather from the other degrees of glory. Exaltation is salvation in the kingdom of God. Righteous parents whose election is made sure by the sealing of the Holy Spirit of promise, because they have proven themselves to be true and faithful, are the ones in peril of becoming sons of perdition - if they then turn around and commit the unpardonable sin (see D&C 132). Everyone else is destined for a kingdom of glory even if they don't accept the gospel. So, this doctrine cannot mean what you are saying. The sealing power is not needed for a person to end up in one of the other kingdoms of glory.

In any case, it seems to me that you simply don't want to believe the doctrine until you you fully understand it. My advice is, just believe it, and do your best to be that parent. But if you don't want to, I'm ok with that too. As long as you understand that the interpretation given by the leaders of the Church is "exaltation", not just salvation from outer darkness. That is what Lorenzo Snow is saying in the quote of mine that you posted. I'll put it out here again, because it is perhaps the most clear understanding on the matter.

If you succeed in passing through these trials and afflictions and receive a resurrection, you will, by the power of the Priesthood, work and labor, as the Son of God has, until you get all your sons and daughters in the path of exaltation and glory. This is just as sure as that the sun rose this morning over yonder mountains. Therefore, mourn not because all your sons and daughters do not follow in the path that you have marked out to them, or give heed to your counsels. Inasmuch as we succeed in securing eternal glory, and stand as saviors, and as kings and priests to our God, we will save our posterity.[9]

Regards,

Vanhin

Do you believe Cain and Laman and Lemuel have been (or will be) worked to the point of receiving their exaltation?

The spirit world is the place where those that did not receive a chance to accept the gospel can. If what you are saying is that the parents get to work on them a little longer, fine, I can comprehend that. That may be a privilege they get as opposed to some other missionary effort in the spirit world. But that doesn't mean that the person who is receiving the missionary effort in the spirit world gets more of an effort than anybody else, it is just reserved for the parents of the child in that setting. The parents may be getting extra time to be directly involved in that person's conversion, I'll give it that much belief. But the wayward child isn't getting any more extra time than anyone else in spirit prison.

Plus, where much is given much is expected. That wayward child's chances of being successful in choosing the right are not inherently better than the child who was not born into those circumstances because the playing field is made even by the fact that where much is given much is expected. They are required to give more than the person who was say born in 1090 without righteous, sealed parents.

Do you believe Cain and Laman and Lemuel have been (or will be) worked to the point of receiving their exaltation?

I think I already answered that. I think if you look over my previous posts (quotes and scripture references) you will see that subject of sons of perdition is covered. They have committed the unpardonable sin...

I don't think Laman and Lemuel were qualified to be sons of perdition. But Cain was the first son of perdition on this earth. He actually spoke with God and sinned against a greater knowledge. He was in a position to commit the unpardonable sin and did so by slaying his innocent brother Able.

I sense that you are still under the impression that this doctrine means that a child of sealed parents will be exalted no matter what, even if they do not want it. Clearly this doctrine must be in harmony with the rest of the scriptures, and should be viewed from that stand point. In no way can it rob justice, nor can it violate the principles of agency.

The spirit world is the place where those that did not receive a chance to accept the gospel can. If what you are saying is that the parents get to work on them a little longer, fine, I can comprehend that. That may be a privilege they get as opposed to some other missionary effort in the spirit world. But that doesn't mean that the person who is receiving the missionary effort in the spirit world gets more of an effort than anybody else, it is just reserved for the parents of the child in that setting. The parents may be getting extra time to be directly involved in that person's conversion, I'll give it that much belief. But the wayward child isn't getting any more extra time than anyone else in spirit prison.

Plus, where much is given much is expected. That wayward child's chances of being successful in choosing the right are not inherently better than the child who was not born into those circumstances because the playing field is made even by the fact that where much is given much is expected. They are required to give more than the person who was say born in 1090 without righteous, sealed parents.

No doubt. I can't say for certain how it is accomplished, but I believe the doctrine, and I believe that if I am faithful to my covenants, that everyone of my children who want to be exalted will do so. If they don't care too much for exaltation, then they will inhabit a lesser degree of glory, and if they progress to a point of greater knowledge, and commit the unpardonable sin, then they will inhabit outer darkness.

The tender mercies of God are truly marvelous.

Regards,

Vanhin

Let's remember that this life and our choices go beyond the grave to the time of judgement, so those that die in 'sins' can still make choices of change/repentance.

I think that, at least to a point, this would have to be true. After all, I can't imagine anyone remaining an atheist after death when they discover there is life beyond. And if their core belief (or non-belief, as the case may be) as an atheist is shaken after death, what else will that cause them to rethink?

• 4 months later...