When do you know its over?

That's good she isn't cheating. I thought she spent late nights AT the office. My mistake. Honestly, I think the depression thing is totally garbage. I just don't believe that people have chemical imbalances. I believe that LIFE is HARD and doesn't ALWAYS go as PLANNED! This makes more sense to me. Drugs are just to dumb people down for the most part. Heal an infection or two.

You're being delusional.

You're being delusional.

I suspect the reason it makes more sense to him is because it lets him feel superior. He's not one of those "weak/stupid/faithless" people who takes medication, he's better than them in some capacity.

I've been wanting to ask if his real name is Tom Cruise.

/me drags a couch with Oprah sitting on it into the thread and lays in wait to see what AGStacker does.

Edited by Dravin

My two cents.

I look at one of the great examples in my life of my father. Left home after high school, hitchhiked from one end of the country to another; worked odd jobs; was so poor he slept in abandoned cars and went dumpster diving just to survive (he was 18ish). He barely graduated college and ended up going bankrupt twice in his life, once only 8 years ago. Unemployed multiple times, most recently at the age of 59, yet today he has well enough to retire on. I am always amazed at his hard work, willingness to do whatever it takes to provide for his family, and ability to bounce back from adversity-to take lemons and build a lemonade stand.

I've learned several important lessons from him. Never give up, money isn't the end all be all of life-it's more of a way of keeping score, always have a reserve, save today so you won't be on the streets tomorrow. Finally (a lesson reinforced on my mission) any day my family has food in their bellies, clothes on their backs, and a roof over their heads is a great day.

I know some will disagree, but in all the tough years my dad had, he never took unemployment assistance or welfare. He felt by doing so it would cheapen him, lower his self worth and would be admitting he had failed. While he would have temporary setbacks he would never admit he failed.

As he says (and what I know from spending 2 years among people who literally have nothing), I don't know what hard times are.

Sometimes I question it when I'm driving an hour and half to work, but in my heart I know he's right.

I know some will disagree, but in all the tough years my dad had, he never took unemployment assistance or welfare. He felt by doing so it would cheapen him, lower his self worth and would be admitting he had failed. While he would have temporary setbacks he would never admit he failed.

This is very admirable, and you definitely have a great example in your dad! If he was able to scrape by on his own without getting assistance, good for him! The only problem I see with it is that it is a sign of pride. Sometimes we are put in situations where we need to accept the help of others as a humbling experience to help us better understand our need for a Savior- that we can't do everything on our own. However, I think there are many many people out there who "give up" and accept help when there was really more they could do for themselves and I think this is what your father was trying to avoid. If he ever had hit a slump so deep that he had to accept outside help though, it wouldn't mean he was a failure as long as he got back on his feet and did everything he could to not need that help anymore and even pay back those that helped him.

I can definitely understand where he's coming from though. Right now, I qualify for food stamps and welfare, but I don't get it because I know I'm capable of scraping by with what I have. I get medicaid, but that's it. I could apply for and accept the help to make my money stretch farther, but I feel like that should only be reserved for the most dire of circumstances when it is really needed. Since I'm making ends meet on my own, I don't want to be sucking up tax money that doesn't really need to be spent on me.

Thanks. I understand the pride (one of my family's greatest strengths and weaknesses!!). But the pride is not an I'm better than others pride; and it's different than not being humble (the trails my dad faced tested him sorely and humbled him); I don't know quite how to explain it. Maybe it's more self-respecting pride-if that makes sense.

"

This sin has many faces. It leads some to revel in their own perceived self-worth, accomplishments, talents, wealth, or position. They count these blessings as evidence of being “chosen,” “superior,” or “more righteous” than others. This is the sin of “Thank God I am more special than you.” At its core is the desire to be admired or envied. It is the sin of self-glorification.

For others, pride turns to envy: they look bitterly at those who have better positions, more talents, or greater possessions than they do. They seek to hurt, diminish, and tear down others in a misguided and unworthy attempt at self-elevation. When those they envy stumble or suffer, they secretly cheer.

"

This is not what I'm talking about.

It's a competition with yourself vs. competition with others, and a pride at overcoming yourself rather than looking at others. Granted that can lead to a pride vs. others and self-glorification.

I mean shoot, have you ever felt elated when you beat your personal best? That is a proper "pride".

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I don't envy anyone who is unemployed right now, it's kind of ridiculous trying to get a job at the moment. On the other hand, while I appreciate traditional roles, your wife needs to get over it. I don't think God is going to throw her into the pits for having to work to help keep afloat.

In fact, I am reminded of the wife in Proverbs 31. She is praised for working hard both at home AND earning money in the markets with the things she made. She is called priceless for being willing to do these things to take care of her family. Let her know how priceless she is, let her know how much you appreciate her working while you get straightened out in the job area. It's a shot in the dark, but it might soften her approach towards you a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

K update number...? I forget - I finally broke down and checked out my wife's email. Had an itinerary for her work "friend" coming to Utah this weekend. She said she was going to a friends house to help her w sick kids. However, I drove by the hotel and guess what? Her car is in the parking lot! This just keeps getting more and more sickening...