Left Behind by Peter and Patti Lalonde

Dr T

Why I picked this book up: I read the Left Behind series by LaHaye and Jenkins and really enjoyed the first handful of those novels and then read the others to see “who would die next” kind of-not really but it seemed like that was part of those books. This book was not a novel so I wanted to read through it and see what it had to say on the subject.

General Thoughts: This book was written to people before and after the rapture and uses scripture and speculation about end times.

Why I finished this book: I finished this book because it was interesting. They used the Bible to talk about the rapture, the evil forces that are expected to be around at that time, what some of the reasons could be for being deceived, what taking the mark is all about, and gives the gospel message in an attempt to save those that have been left behind or that are waiting for a later time. I felt like they were being loving and wrote this type of book to give a warning for those that might be left behind and a warning for those that have not yet made a decision for salvation.

Rating: I’d give it a 3 out of 5 star rating. Not the best or worst book.

• 11 months later...

Why I picked this book up: I read the Left Behind series by LaHaye and Jenkins and really enjoyed the first handful of those novels and then read the others to see “who would die next” kind of-not really but it seemed like that was part of those books. This book was not a novel so I wanted to read through it and see what it had to say on the subject.

General Thoughts: This book was written to people before and after the rapture and uses scripture and speculation about end times.

I have a question: Does the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints believe in "the Rapture," like certain Evangelical/Protestant churches teach?

I used to be a bit of a theology nut at one time. I don't know if any of you are aware of this but, not all non-Mormon Christian churches believe or teach in the Rapture. Your more litugical/ancient churches (Roman Catholic/Eastern Orthodox/Coptic) as well as the most conservative of the Reformation Churches that broke away from the 16th century Roman Catholic church (Anglican/Lutheran) all seem to agree that there isn't any validity to a belief in the Rapture since early Christians didn't embrace such a teaching...the verses used are normally describing THE LAST DAY, after the Tribulation, not a Rapture that takes Christian believes away first. All those churches I just listed tend to lean towards an "Amillenial" perspectice (no literal 1,000 year reign) wheras the misunderstanding regarding the Rapture (which if memory serves me correctly, was first promulaged by a "Schofield" and his ...gee was it a commentary on the Bible I think or was it his translation,..ah yes! The Schofield Bible if memory serves me correctly!) comes from a purely isolated interpreation of events. In those days of researching the topic from a theological prespective, I actually discovered, MORE THAN ONE intepreation as to how the world will end at the return of Christ.

with love to all my Mormon/LDS Christian friends,

Joe B.

Hanford, Ca

There are a series of B-grade Christian movies made-for-vhs that came out in the 90s. They include one based on this book, and then a set of four: The Apocalypse, Revelation, Tribulation, and Judgment. The final one had Mr. T. in it. They are interesting and fun to watch for those interested in end times theology.

Apocalypse: The 4-DVD Boxed Collection at Christian Cinema.com

Not all Christians espouse the pre-tribulation rapture of the church, and some even believe that the Millenium is more figurative than literal. Nevertheless, I believe most of us expect that there will be a sudden God-centered event that will result in a time of divine judgment. Whether it is the last day, the 2nd coming, or the rapture, scripture does tell us to watch, wait and be ready.

Edited by prisonchaplain
add link

Hello Dr. T, nice to meet you.

If anyone could summarize or simplify it to just a few paragraphs [[if it is even possible to simply it to just a few paragraphs?]: What is the LDS belief regarding the Return of Christ? For example, is there a Great Tribulation/Apocalypse that occurs first? Is there a literal 1,000 year reign on earth of Jesus Christ? Well there be a New Heaven and New Earth? What is the LDS belief regarding the end of the world and the Return of Christ and how does this play out for both those who are either LDS members, those who believe in Jesus Christ but are not LDS and those who don't believe in anything??

With love and friendship to all LDS Christans,

Joe B.

Interfaith/Agnsotic/loves Jesus but doesnt attend any church currently

Hi Joe,

Yes, there are various interpretations about end time or views on eschatology. God will make the decision of what happens in those cases. I believe all religions are not equal. I often hear things like, "They are all the same." I think there are similarities but they "are not the same."

I appreciate everyone's opinion in life...regardless of whether I agree with it or not, I will respect it.

For me (this is my opinion of course) I can't buy into religious monopolies anymore...I have been through to many faiths/sects/churches that claim they have the "monopoly" on God....so yes, I am going to see it's "all the same" at least in terms of what you worship because the moment you don't say that then here is your problem: A world where 10 different religious groups all claim the same thing [religious superiority over the others] and yet they all contradict each other when it comes to details....I have finally accepted that we live in a universe of relative truths....I cant belive anymore that there is such a thing as Absolute Truth because the moment you buy into that...then you become part of the problem instead of being part of the solution----10 different groups fighting each other and disagreeing with each other all claiming to have "truth"----that is chaos, not truth!

with love to all my LDS Christian friends,

Joe B.

Hanford, CA:eek:

I appreciate everyone's opinion in life...regardless of whether I agree with it or not, I will respect it.

For me (this is my opinion of course) I can't buy into religious monopolies anymore...I have been through to many faiths/sects/churches that claim they have the "monopoly" on God....so yes, I am going to see it's "all the same" at least in terms of what you worship because the moment you don't say that then here is your problem: A world where 10 different religious groups all claim the same thing [religious superiority over the others] and yet they all contradict each other when it comes to details....I have finally accepted that we live in a universe of relative truths....I cant belive anymore that there is such a thing as Absolute Truth because the moment you buy into that...then you become part of the problem instead of being part of the solution----10 different groups fighting each other and disagreeing with each other all claiming to have "truth"----that is chaos, not truth!

Joe B.

Your post is becoming increasingly common. I'd even suggest it is the dominant cultural perspective--at least for those under 40. I remember when Josh McDowell came out with his book, "Evidence that demands a verdict," arguing for the historic and scientific persuasiveness of the resurrection. Of course, this was some 30 years ago. The reaction was for some to shout "Amen!" and others to engage his arguments and debate.

Today, many would read through his whole book, smile at the author, and says, "Wow, you put a lot of thought into this. I'm glad it works FOR YOU."

There is no doubt that many truths are relative and contextually limited. However, might I suggest that if there really is a God who created the world, and that God chooses to care about and engage with us, that He might have spelled out a particular way to do so? If that one God really exist, then there is at least one absolute truth. :cool:

Joe B.

I don't think you would ever find someone who is LDS say that we have the monopoly on God. So far from it. Even LDS believe that other churches have truth.