New Family Tree Software - Family Tree Genius?

MarkOnslow

Has anyone heard of family tree genius?

This is the website: Family Tree Genius | Free Trial of The Best Family Tree Maker Software

If anyone can share experiences on this, it would be helpful.

I'm trying their free trial now. The screen-shots look promising.

My question to you Mark is...are you planning to use a genealogy software that is compatible with the New Family Search website? If so, this software unfortunately doesn't have that capability. If this is a desirable feature that you need, you would want to investigate a couple other genealogy software that are compatible with New Family Search. Personally, I use Roots Magic 4 & absolutely love it. It makes it so easy to get all of my information into New Family Search, plus submit for any temple ordinances that I need to have completed. While Family Tree Genius looks interesting, it just does not give all the benefits that Roots Magic 4 does. There are two, possibly three other software programs out there that are also compatible with New Family Search, I found that Roots Magic 4 to be the best. The other thing about RM4 is that I can also run it on a flash drive & take that with me when I travel (I travel extensively), so if in my travels I get to do some work at another family history center, dept of records, or what have you, I can add that info to my main database when I get home, via my RM4 flash drive....very simple!!

P.S....also, I remember a caution of using GEDCOM files with New Family Search. I would need to re-look it up in my New Family Search handbook to give you the full details about this caution. I will do so as soon as I return home & can get my hands on my manual.

Edited by O2BNSD

• 10 months later...

I've been researching my family genealogy for about a year now and am addicted to it! I download a free gen program that I am not very happy with and need to upgrade, but don't know what is best. Maybe I will check out Roots Magic. I'm not LDS but sent a GEDCOM to the Family Search folks anyway. What is the issue with GEDCOM's?

• 4 weeks later...

GEDCOM is the 'universal' file used to transfer genealogical files from one computer to another. It is probably a feature you will want to be sure you have for the future if you are going to be addicted to this research- whether or not you are LDS- it is not an LDS specific file form. AND thank you for submitting your work to the Family Search; that is why it remains the largest genealogical database in the world (as I last understood).

To answer your first question about "FAMILY TREE GENIUS"; this is the PC version of the MAC software "MacFamilyTree". In my opinion, the charting and graphics are quit remarkable; but can be found on other websites, furthermore, I don't find that they are very useful. This really is a game of simplicity BECAUSE it becomes to complicated when you get very far back (i.e. 334 BC). The MAC version does support a vast array of file formats and information processes. Again, though, these can be found in most good programs. Also, the MAC version is LDS compatible so I would imagine the PC version will be eventually. Even with the extensive amount of time spent in the program, I still have not become comfortable with the navigation- there seems to be an excessive amount of 'going backwards'. For more information about this you might want to read the reviews for the MAC version which is normally 3:5. I would probably agree until I get frustrated then it would get a 2.

Hope this helps.