Is The Book Of Mormon Fun To Read?

lines

I am considering trying to start reading the book of mormon or I might try listening to it via audio, but before I embark on such a journey I would like peoples opinions on the book. Is it fun to read?

I heard someone say it was boring before, is that true? Is it boring? Or is it a fun book to read? Any insight on this would be appreciated.

If you are looking for entertainment, like Harry Potter or Twilight, you will be bored with the book.

However, if you are looking for a wonderful spiritual experience, then it will be a very worthwhile endeavor that will lift you up and make you a better person for doing so.

Guest tbaird22

i think a big part of it is if you actually like to read. If you hate reading i'm sure you will find it boring but if you enjoy reading you will enjoy the book :D

If you have experience reading the Holy Bible, it's similar only that I find the Book of Mormon a little easier to understand from a language point of view.

If you're starting from the beginning, 1 Nephi is entertaining to me, it's a first person narrative of Nephi and his family and their journey from Jerusalem to the promised land.

Your question is subjective. Read it and let us know what you think. Other than that, it's different with each person.

Some like Shakespeare. I can't stand it. Doesn't mean it's not culturally relevant, entertaining and/or inspiring. Although I don't get how or why it is.

Is the Book Of Mormon fun to read?

That depends on whether you enjoy reading and what interests you.

Aside from the spiritual aspect, I enjoy reading it because I have a deep intereest for cultural anthropology ahd history and the Book Of Mormon satisfies that in me.

I also prefer reading (any book) over listening to audio versions. Perhaps it is because I like to look back through pages and reference what I read. I also enjoy referencing the Book Of Mormon to the Torah and other Biblical Scriptures. So for me it is entertaining. You will need to define what is fun or entertaining to you.

Either way it's a great read. Enjoy!

- there are no long "sam was the son of George was the son of Fred" kinds of things

What about this?:

6And on this wise do I give the account. He that wrote this record was aEther, and he was a descendant of Coriantor.

7Coriantor was the son of Moron.

8And Moron was the son of Ethem.

9And Ethem was the son of Ahah.

10And Ahah was the son of Seth.

11And Seth was the son of Shiblon.

12And Shiblon was the son of Com.

13And Com was the son of Coriantum.

14And Coriantum was the son of Amnigaddah.

15And Amnigaddah was the son of Aaron.

16And Aaron was a descendant of Heth, who was the son of Hearthom.

17And Hearthom was the son of Lib.

18And Lib was the son of Kish.

19And Kish was the son of Corom.

20And Corom was the son of Levi.

21And Levi was the son of Kim.

22And Kim was the son of Morianton.

23And Morianton was a descendant of Riplakish.

24And Riplakish was the son of Shez.

25And Shez was the son of Heth.

26And Heth was the son of Com.

27And Com was the son of Coriantum.

28And Coriantum was the son of Emer.

29And Emer was the son of Omer.

30And Omer was the son of Shule.

31And Shule was the son of Kib.

32And aKib was the son of bOrihah, who was the son of Jared;

Captain_Curmedgeon, spell it like this: Moby D!ck that way the censors don't filter it.

(I'm just busting your chops guys)

Anyway, I love reading it. It's a spiritual feast. Feels so goooood!

Guest Sachi001

Depends on your perspective of fun. It all depends upon the attitude you take when you open the book. Some find it boring because they have a bad attitude of the drudgery to read such. Their heart is in contention and are not filled with the spirit. Try saying all the weird names correctly as a challenge while reading it.

I found it quite enlightening and fun to read. Even though at times while reading in bed I nodded off before I got through the chapter. The Bible is long also. You need to read it after the BOM. it is asked of you by your First presidency. Lack of Reading the Standard Works makes you less prepared.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, by fun I just meant "is it enjoyable to read". And I realize that is a subjective thing so I guess what I am asking is "to those who have read the book of mormon did you enjoy reading it?".

It's pretty awesome that the official LDS website offers the book of mormon as a free audio download too.

If you are looking for entertainment, like Harry Potter or Twilight, you will be bored with the book.

However, if you are looking for a wonderful spiritual experience, then it will be a very worthwhile endeavor that will lift you up and make you a better person for doing so.

however there are plenty of fascinating events within the book that are worth the read.

My experience:

Years ago I decided to read the Book of Mormon for my first time (I was in my early 20's). At first it was very hard to follow and understand, but I was determined. Then I got to 2 Nephi 4:15 -35 and this just grabbed at my soul. The reading didn't really get easier, but I had an increased desire to press on. Now, years later, after studying the Book of Mormon many times, it is easier to read/study/understand the "language of the scriptures". PRESS ON in prayer, you will never be sorry. You will find so many answers to questions, and marvelous daily guidance. It has changed my life more than any other book I have ever studied.

Edited by shine7

The Book of Mormon is easier to read than the KJV of the Bible. Nephi does however quote Isaiah quite a bit and its ok to skip though those chapters if you just can't read them.

The old joke is a solder was saved in battle when a bullet passed through his breast pocket and was stopped by the Book of Mormon he had in his pocket. Why? Because nothing gets through the Isaiah chapters.