Find Destiny Norton

Jason

If everyone in Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado and Wyoming will print off a few flyers from the link in the OP, and post them in their Neighborhoods, you'll do a lot more good for this girl than just hoping for the best.

Put them in Grocery stores, gas stations, and any other area that gets heavy traffic. If nothing else, putting a few in your neighborhood will increase awareness.

Do you know this girl personally Jason?

No. But she's five years old. My girls are 6,4,1. They showed some video of her making a face, and for a second it looked just like my oldest. That was all it took, and I've been puting up posters and advocating for her since.

How very sad this is. You just never know who or what lurks nearby. Makes me wish my kids lived closer so I could give them an extra special hug.

I am very sorry to hear this. Prayers with the family and everyone that this story has touched.

Jason, I know that you worked very hard to get the word out about this story. Again, prayers be with you.

Marsha

Im just sick. The SLC police said they had searched this home. WTH?!!!

No, the police did not say they searched this home.

In fact, they were admitted to the home by the suspect, very early on, in the first hours of the search, but the suspect refused to allow them to search the home. That would have raised my eyebrows, and my suspicions, how about you?

IMO, given the ensuing lack of enthusiasm for the search effort on the part of the authorities, the seemingly random nature of the search itself, the cancellation of the amber alert the day following the disappearance, they pretty well knew early on what had happened to Destiny and who to suspect as having been the perpetrator, but needed to strictly follow due process in obtaining the appropriate warrants to search the suspect's home without his consent.

This is not an instant process, especially when they needed to keep all i's dotted and T's crossed in order to avoid mishaps in the upcoming charges and, hopefully, in the prosecution.

I heard all sorts of ranting and railing about how poor a job the police were doing, but, really, it was obvious to me, and I'm not a law enforcement professional, that they knew, really early on, something that wasn't being released to the public and they wisely sat on it until they had the proper legal formalities taken care of.

In the end, I think it will be well obvious that the SLC police did a stellar job on this investigation, probably because they have learned from their mistakes.

Last night, on the KSL news, they showed some of the messages on the KSL message board regarding this case. While almost all were sympathetic, one poster actually posted something like:'bad people, bad neighborhood, bad parentling".

Made me queasy.

Here's a quote regarding the search of the suspect's house from the KSL web page:

However, a U Search volunteer said police and federal agents scoured Gregerson's apartment three times after Destiny disappeared. All three times, however, he refused them access to his cellar and demanded they obtain a search warrant, she said.

And, Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson said police did search the home, but that Destiny's body was hidden. And, he says, those facts will come out later on.

I think most of us would invite the police right in to search our homes, upstairs and down,if we were innocent.

And, the police had to be very careful about not letting their suspicions become public in order to prevent the suspect from developing his own suspicions and taking off.

<div class='quotemain'>

Im just sick. The SLC police said they had searched this home. WTH?!!!

No, the police did not say they searched this home.

In fact, they were admitted to the home by the suspect, very early on, in the first hours of the search, but the suspect refused to allow them to search the home. That would have raised my eyebrows, and my suspicions, how about you?

Less then two months ago in Bloomington Ut, near St.George, my landscaper had the police knock at the door and demand a search. A young boy had come up missing un the neighborhood and EVERY home was being searched. The landscaper was working for me when his wife had called and told him of the events. The wife was a bit startled by the way they demanded a search but she stayed out of their way. At one point she did ask them to let her go in first, it was to her three year old daughters room and she was napping. The mom, rightfully so, didn't want her own child scared as these policemen rummaged through her room looking for the missing boy.

The thought has occurred to me why they just didn't demand to search the house of the suspect like they did in the homes in Southern Utah. :dontknow:

The thought has occurred to me why they just didn't demand to search the house of the suspect like they did in the homes in Southern Utah. :dontknow:

Because, had they done this, any evidence found, up to and including the body, could later be dismissed as evidence aquired without due process, without either the consent of the suspect, or a warrant to conduct a search.

Your landscaper's wife had every right, under the law, to deny them entrance without a warrant. Sounds like the St George police bullied themselves into people's homes to conduct searches, which can backfire bigtime when it comes to the trial.

Thanks for that info Idacat.

I was talking with some local police on this, and they cleared it up for me on the search warrant details. I think under the circumstances, the SLCPD did the right thing. It's just too bad that they could not produce a warrant sooner. But again, saying no to a search is not probable cause to get a warrant.

But again, saying no to a search is not probable cause to get a warrant.

Very true, and, I think that this is why it took so long to get that warrant.

I suspect that the refusal to search and the suspect's history of dislike of children and domestic violence together probably convinced some wise judge to issue the warrant. and, it took a bit to put those pieces together.

IRL I'm a true crime junkie :rolleyes:

Makes me feel sick. I just hope he has a fun time in prison before he is put to death. From what I hear, inmates who harm children don't have the best of luck. Hopefully he won't do the solitary thing.

And yes, I do hope he is put to death. Sometimes I am torn on that issue, but this is one case where there is no doubt about what he did.