Exaltation Without Polygamy

MarkABaliel

Hi Folks,

I am new to this site. I have only one question. I know Brigham Young said we can be exalted with only one wife. I know he said there were people in the Celestial Kingdom of God with only one wife and they were justified.

And, the D&C says that if I choose to marry another wife, and the first give her consent, I am justified. So, to me, that means my current wife must consent to my taking another wife there in the Celestial Kingdom.

So, my question is: What if I want to be married to more than one wife, but my first wife doesn't want me to? Can I still do it? Will I be damned for wanting to? Will I ultimately be happy if I want more than one wife and can't because my first wife says no?

These are sincere questions, and I know the doctrine is not exactly clear on this specific of a question. My current (and first) wife has always hated Polygamy and detests it with every fiber of her being. But, like I asked earlier, what are my options about itin the next life?

Thank you for your help and I want to be replied by only sincere people, not seeking to judge me for my post here! Thank you!

Interesting question. I would think that the ultimate and perfect marriage is being of one heart and one mind. So if one disagrees, going against that would ultimately not be very charitable to the disagreeing party, or vice-versa. But in the eternities, or maybe even the millennium, our thoughts on the process would be different. Heck, I couldn't even make marriage with one person work past ten years, I can't imagine more than one wife to have to consider.

Guest gopecon

My understanding is that for the vast majority of us, "this life is the time to prepare to meet God". You have a temple marriage now, barring a reinstitution of polygamy you will not be asked to enter that relationship, and you will be eligible for the blessings of exaltation.

Your wife's feelings on this are also important. I wouldn't be too excited about entering another relationship that could cause me to lose the first one. It wouldn't be worth it unless that new relationship became a requirement for my exaltation.

Thank you for the current responses. But, my question ultimately is, what if I WANT to enter into a polygamous marriage, but my first wife doesn't want me to? Does that mean I cannot have another wife if she says no? I guess I am feeling like I would want to have another wife, but can't because she says no, and I will be stuck with her decision.

I think the bigger question is "Why do you want to enter into a polygamous marriage?"

I would think once on the other side with all the answers and being perfected your ability to work this issue out with your wife would be easier than in the here and now. I would not suggest you rock the boat and disrupt your relationship with your wife over a hypothetical. Take care of the here and now and then cross that bridge when you get there. If you don't take care of the here and now then you won't be worthy of that anyway and all this will be wasted emotional energy.

Hi Folks,

I am new to this site. I have only one question. I know Brigham Young said we can be exalted with only one wife. I know he said there were people in the Celestial Kingdom of God with only one wife and they were justified.

And, the D&C says that if I choose to marry another wife, and the first give her consent, I am justified. So, to me, that means my current wife must consent to my taking another wife there in the Celestial Kingdom.

So, my question is: What if I want to be married to more than one wife, but my first wife doesn't want me to? Can I still do it? Will I be damned for wanting to? Will I ultimately be happy if I want more than one wife and can't because my first wife says no?

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here: At the moment, you cannot be married to more than one wife in the here-and-now regardless of your wife's wishes, because the Lord has directed (through the man who has the keys of the sealing power) that plural marriages cease for the time being.

That said: The requirement of the first wife's consent is formally understood as the "Law of Sarah". The Church institutionally doesn't say much on the matter at present, but the following (non-authoritative source) may be helpful:

In the revelation to the Prophet on eternal and plural marriage, the Lord repeatedly made reference to the law as being the same that was given to Abraham in ancient times. He also spoke of the "law of Sarah." The law God gave to Abraham under the Holy Priesthood was the full law of the divine patriarchal order of marriage, including the law of plural wives. Under this law a righteous man was required to take additional wives when he was so commanded of the Lord. The law of Sarah governed the expected actions of a man's first wife when her husband was directed to take other wives.

"God commanded Abraham, and Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham to wife," the Lord said of Sarah's actions. "And why did she do it? Because this was the law; and from Hagar sprang many people." fn The same obligation rested upon the first wife of every man who was commanded of God to practice plural marriage. She was expected to fulfil "the law of Sarah." The revelation setting forth that law said:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, if any man have a wife, who holds the keys of this power, and he teaches unto her the law of my priesthood, as pertaining to these things, then shall she believe and administer unto him, or she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord your God; for I will destroy her; for I will magnify my name upon all those who receive and abide in my law.

Therefore, it shall be lawful in me, if she receive not this law, for him to receive all things whatsoever I, the Lord his God, will give unto him, because she did not believe and administer unto him according to my word; and she then becomes the transgressor; and he is exempt from the law of Sarah, who administered unto Abraham according to the law when I commanded Abraham to take Hagar to wife.

The first wife's right to give or withhold consent was the right to be considered and consulted by her husband in taking a second wife. It was also the right to express her judgment about whether her husband had been faithful to his covenant with her, was a true father according to the standard required by the gospel, and conformed to the law of God in the way he was taking another wife. If he did not adequately meet these requirements, his first wife's refusal to give her consent could prevent him from taking another wife.

But a wife could not use this right to prevent her husband from taking a second wife if he was fulfilling his obligations to her and his family, and if he proceeded to take another companion according to the law of God. Her failure to give consent under these circumstances released him from the obligation to act with her approbation. Here was a delicate, but important, reconciliation of authority and consent in the affairs of the home. Orson Pratt explained:

When a man who has a wife, teaches her the law of God, as revealed to the ancient patriarchs, and as manifested by new revelation, and she refuses to give her consent for him to marry another according to that law, then it becomes necessary for her to state before the President the reasons why she withholds her consent: if her reasons are sufficient and justifiable, and the husband is found in the fault or in transgression, then he is not permitted to take any step in regard to obtaining another. But if the wife can show no good reason why she refuses to comply with the law which was given unto Sarah of old, then it is lawful for her husband, if permitted by revelation through the Prophet, to be married to others without her consent, and he will be justified, and she will be condemned, because she did not give them unto him, as Sarah gave Hagar unto Abraham, and as Rachel and Leah gave Billhah and Zilpah to their husband, Jacob.

Hyrum Andrus, Doctrines of the Kingdom, 464-465.

But I think Gwen's question is a valid one:

Given that you yourself acknowledge that polygamy isn't required, why would you hurt your wife by entering into polygamy over her objections? Most of the accounts of righteous polygamists I've seen, described the practice in terms of "I must" and not "I want".

"If a man cannot learn in this life to appreciate a wife and to do his duty by her, in properly taking care of her, he need not expect to be given [her] in the hereafter." [Joseph Smith, per Jesse Crosby]

Edited by Just_A_Guy

At the risk of sounding offensive, when it comes to matter of the heart, how is it you would feel "stuck?" I would think that if you love, trust and respect her that it would be a matter of coming to an understanding and accepting, out of love, her reasons and choice. She loves you so much she want's you for her and to not share. There may be other women out there who can share and still have a great love for their husband but apparently, your wife has strong feelings against that. Does that make her any less a woman and a wife? I would think not.

My mom was a single mother, and when I was in college, my wife and I met many people our age who's spouses left them with kids. I also met some very wealthy men who were also very good men.

I asked an institute teacher why God didn't bring back polygamy because I thought it would make lots of sense that if there are men and women who could actually live polygamy and provide temporal and leadership/spiritual support to women and kids who could benefit.

My institute teacher reminded me that what may seem practical to us mortals, God sees a lot more clearly.

Principles:

1) This is the Lord's call. Even if our reasons to want to live the law (after this life even) are altruistic.

2) What may be our motivations do not include a knowledge of what it is like or what it takes to make polygamy work. - Maybe there are journals or writings of members from years ago who have shared these details. Certainly if the Lord commanded it, He would prepare a way for it to be done well.

I know that I am in jeapordy of crossing the faithfulness to my first wife line when I think about wanting to have more than one spouse in the hereafter. Just_A_Guy's comments and pastes from other leadsrs was amazing. That makes so much sense. If my finds me unworthy of her love because I am not a good husband, don't put her and the kids first, then God might well say no to my taking other spouses. I really need to work on treating my wife like she is number 1 in my life.

In response to my wife wanting to NOT share me, no, that doesn't make her any less of a woman. But, I also feel that because I want to have other spouses, it doesn't mean I don't fully love my first wife, or that I am any less of a man because so. My final thought on that though, is that I am currently not the best man for her, to her, and I might well not be able to have other spouses if I am not careful.

Also, in response to the, "Why I would want other spouses...?" question. Well, honestly, I feel that it is certainly possible to love more than one person, and love both of them fully, with all of your heart. And, attraction was certainly part of choosing other wives when it was commanded here in this life during the early days of the church.

So, my dilemma and worry comes down to this! I either shape myself up, and be the man my wife wants and needs me to be all throughout this life, or I can kiss my desire to have other spouses good bye, even if I love those other women with all my heart. I really need help with this part, because I really want my current and first wife to give her consent. I really need to work on my proving to her that she is my life and that I am faithful to her and none else. Otherwise, it looks like no matter whom else I love and want to be with in the next life, I won't be able to. God help me! If I feel like my ultimate happiness depends on having more than one wife and I can't, I am struggling with this terribly!!!

By the way folks, I also tend to believe in Polyandry as well, so I am not a jerk. At least, hopefully all of you will know this. I am struggling with the things mentioned above.

How about this: Do as you said and "...shape myself up, and be the man my wife wants and needs me to be all throughout this life..." because polygamy is not in the cards at all. It is not ordained of God for us right now, and it is against the law of the land. Spending mental energy to want something that is unavailable is uselessly spent. Focus on your wife and family. That's been the commandment for us since time and for all eternity.

By the sounds of it, you're not even close to be able to handle polygamy if this is the way you feel about your current wife. So take care of your business. Leave the wanting the unattainable alone. Otherwise, you risk loosing everything. And I literally mean everything.

But, I also feel that because I want to have other spouses, it doesn't mean I don't fully love my first wife, or that I am any less of a man because so.

Why I would want other spouses...?" question. Well, honestly, I feel that it is certainly possible to love more than one person, and love both of them fully, with all of your heart.

So you won't mind if the Lord in the afterlife gives you as wives all the septuagenarian sisters who didn't get a chance to get married in this life, right? ;)

And, attraction was certainly part of choosing other wives when it was commanded here in this life during the early days of the church.

Really? Where do you get this idea from?

Hi Folks,

These are sincere questions, and I know the doctrine is not exactly clear on this specific of a question. My current (and first) wife has always hated Polygamy and detests it with every fiber of her being. But, like I asked earlier, what are my options about itin the next life?

Thank you for your help and I want to be replied by only sincere people, not seeking to judge me for my post here! Thank you!

If both you and your wife are in the Celestial Kingdom together then you would only want to do God's will and she also, I doubt there will be any disagreement of this or any kind there. The path to Eternal Joy will be pretty well laid out by then for you and your wife, there won't be the veil covered, faith dependent version of the path we have now. I doubt the path will have forks in it where it is possible for one to go one way versus another.

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but I believe that unless it is 100% necessary for survival-- a polygamous marriage is NOT healthy. Not at all.

For two reasons-- nearly all of the time, the following is true:

1. One person believes that they deserve a faithful spouse... But their spouse does not not deserve the same. That is a sign that the person in question thinks lowly of their spouse in some way, and that's not good.

2. The other person has some kind of issue, causing them to believe that they only deserve HALF a spouse, or less. Whatever that issue is, said person has some MAJOR self worth and security issues. And again, that's not good.

Anybody who only wants to take on half of a marriage (its incomplete because neither of you are experiencing complete faithfulness, either from yourself or from the other person)-- they must not be complete on the inside.

I know that I am in jeapordy of crossing the faithfulness to my first wife line when I think about wanting to have more than one spouse in the hereafter. Just_A_Guy's comments and pastes from other leadsrs was amazing. That makes so much sense. If my finds me unworthy of her love because I am not a good husband, don't put her and the kids first, then God might well say no to my taking other spouses. I really need to work on treating my wife like she is number 1 in my life.

In response to my wife wanting to NOT share me, no, that doesn't make her any less of a woman. But, I also feel that because I want to have other spouses, it doesn't mean I don't fully love my first wife, or that I am any less of a man because so. My final thought on that though, is that I am currently not the best man for her, to her, and I might well not be able to have other spouses if I am not careful.

Also, in response to the, "Why I would want other spouses...?" question. Well, honestly, I feel that it is certainly possible to love more than one person, and love both of them fully, with all of your heart. And, attraction was certainly part of choosing other wives when it was commanded here in this life during the early days of the church.

So, my dilemma and worry comes down to this! I either shape myself up, and be the man my wife wants and needs me to be all throughout this life, or I can kiss my desire to have other spouses good bye, even if I love those other women with all my heart. I really need help with this part, because I really want my current and first wife to give her consent. I really need to work on my proving to her that she is my life and that I am faithful to her and none else. Otherwise, it looks like no matter whom else I love and want to be with in the next life, I won't be able to. God help me! If I feel like my ultimate happiness depends on having more than one wife and I can't, I am struggling with this terribly!!!

By the way folks, I also tend to believe in Polyandry as well, so I am not a jerk. At least, hopefully all of you will know this. I am struggling with the things mentioned above.

I bolded a few things. I actually find two of them very concerning. The third (which is actually the second) I have no argument with but it does not answer the question I posed.

The second, yes I agree it's possible to love more than one person with all your heart. That doesn't answer the question as to why YOU want more than one wife.

The first statment I bolded.... You aren't the best man for your wife? Are you equally concerned about her happiness for eternity? Are you seeking ways that she could have a second husband? I just don't follow the thinking (and yes I know I'm posing it in a blunt way) of "I'm not the best man for her and she should be stuck with me for eternity but I want more than one wife".....

The third statement.... You want to prove to her you are faithful to her and none else so she will accept the fact that you want to love more than her with all your heart...... Please tell me you can see the problem with this.

I know we don't have all the facts and I'm not saying you are wrong for wanting more than one spouse. I just think you need to evaluate the WHY as deeply as possible.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and throw out a theory here. You aren't fully happy. Your wife isn't a bad wife but all your needs are not met. Because of that there is a hole in your life. You want to fill it. It's easier to fill it with someone else than fix what is broken with your wife. That kind of non solution to your problems will never make you worthy to have more than one wife.

I suggest the book "His needs Her needs" (info on it can be found His Needs, Her Needs) I think you will find a lot you can relate to, he does talk about the ability to love more than one person fully. He also talks about why ppl do that, what it takes to not desire anyone but the one you are with, etc. I'm going to guess, from you comments, that your wife has just as much discontent in your relationship. Fix that, don't just try to prove to her you are faithful but work on actually changing how you feel so you desire no other. Then you might be worthy of plural marriage, though it's still going to be a very long time before that bridge needs crossing.

But then again I could be totally wrong and jumped out on the wrong limb. In that case I apologize and you can ignore this post.

Edited by Gwen

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but I believe that unless it is 100% necessary for survival-- a polygamous marriage is NOT healthy. Not at all.

For two reasons-- nearly all of the time, the following is true:

1. One person believes that they deserve a faithful spouse... But their spouse does not not deserve the same. That is a sign that the person in question thinks lowly of their spouse in some way, and that's not good.

2. The other person has some kind of issue, causing them to believe that they only deserve HALF a spouse, or less. Whatever that issue is, said person has some MAJOR self worth and security issues. And again, that's not good.

Anybody who only wants to take on half of a marriage (its incomplete because neither of you are experiencing complete faithfulness, either from yourself or from the other person)-- they must not be complete on the inside.

Melissa, I'm not offended at all, but I think that your comments clearly indicate that you do not understand the celestial law of polygamy at all. Hope that doesn't offend you.

MarkABeliel, you are on very dangerous ground. If you must, then like the Man of LaMancha, "love pure & chaste from afar". Zero lust, or you're a goner.

HiJolly

Guest gopecon

I think Gwen and Eowyn have hit on some real issues. In wanting something that is not available (and will not be for the foreseeable future), it sounds like you have issues with your current marriage. Further, it sounds like you have already been thinking about who would make a nice #2. I've read quotes from some early leaders who were very reluctant to enter polygamous relationships. They did so out of obedience, not desire. They were a lot of work. I have a hard enough time giving adequate attention the the wife and kids I have now. I'd be quite happy if it was left as something we talk about from the past.

Anybody who wants more than one wife is a complete fool. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. If you knew more you would fear polygamy like the plague.

I am financially responsible for 2 women. One though alimony. The other through marriage. I would give my right arm to stop being a financial polygamist. I suppose you have to provide for two women before it sinks in that it's no picnic.

Thank you for the current responses. But, my question ultimately is, what if I WANT to enter into a polygamous marriage, but my first wife doesn't want me to? Does that mean I cannot have another wife if she says no? I guess I am feeling like I would want to have another wife, but can't because she says no, and I will be stuck with her decision.

I think there are any number of situations where our happiness in the eternities could be in direct opposition to that of someone else.

I don't know how I could possibly be happy if all my children aren't with me in the Celestial Kingdom, but two of them have chosen to leave the church. With my oldest, I have VERY little hope that she will ever return. I can't force her to. She wouldn't be happy if I could. So am I doomed to be forever miserable because I likely won't have at least one, possibly two, of my children with me for eternity?

I just have to trust in the Lord that it will all work out and I WILL be happy, even if my daughter(s) aren't there. I have no idea how that will work, but the Lord has promised that if we live worthy of the Celestial Kingdom, we WILL have happiness there.

Hi Folks,

In my complete and total opinion...

The wife's going to win on that one..... Altho it's more likely that by that time there's going to be more of a middle ground solution because both parties will be more understanding of the other and the wants will be righteous wants... Supposing that both are eligible for celestial glory.

Also my gut feelin says that there's gonna be more gals makin it to heaven than guys... And someone is going to have to take them in.

Total opinion tho.

I have the same question:

Am I wrong to suspect that you already have a specific second wife in mind?

Also, have you already let your self imagine life with this second wife? If so, your loyalty to first wife is in great question IMHO, and your first wife, if you talk about all this to her, may feel very cheated of your love/loyalty.

Hello,

Thanks for your honest feelings. I agree a lot with what is being said; you are on dangerous ground right now in thinking about other women. So, please be careful.

Honestly, I totally relate to what you said about being able to love more than one person with all of your heart. I've long struggled with having deeply loved several men in my life.....and have had serious issues with my sexuality. I believe it's because I was molested when I was quite young. Because of my issues I have done quite a lot of thinking on the subject of polygamy and fully loving more than one person. Here are some of the conclusions I have come to~

I believe the love (not sexual) we will have for one another in the eternities, if we are worthy, exceeds all understanding. Remember God the Father and the Son are as "one." Imagine being "one" with all those around you in the celestial kingdom. How incredible!

The love of God exceeds anything we can comprehend at this time. I believe that God loves each one of us equally~He doesn't love His wives more than His Son or children or His Siblings, etc., etc.. In other words, I don't have to have a "romantic" relationship with the Father, Son or Holy Ghost to experience a fullness of their love. Being His daughter is sufficient for me to work to obtain that fullness.

If I apply this concept to the marital relationship, I believe the celestial ideal of a polygamous relationship means that the worth and value of each wife is not contingent upon the marital line-up. There is no competition, no "one-upping" none of this. I believe that true marital love is simply the pure love of "Christ," a love we can feel for anyone. I disagree with society's teaching that "romantic" love trumps all other kind of love.

While I believe in the eternities that we love each other equally, to me, marriage is a sacred calling for procreation. I can justify polygamy for the purpose of populating many worlds.

Just because a relationship is "platonic" doesn't mean it is any less loving than the marital relationship~

I think you should try and read 'the Four Loves' by C.S Lewis, love is not just purely for your spouse, so just because you have more love to share does not mean you need another one! It defines each as to not confuse each other, you can be very close to someone but it doesn't mean they should be your partner. Love is expressed through many actions and circumstances, including charity, maybe you should focus these extra feelings of needing to love another into service for your fellow being instead of worrying about something that will not happen in this life??? Sounds like you have alot of time to worry about this, perhaps challenging these feelings into something more constructive would be better?

You are all right! Every one of you. I haven't been fully committed. I am on dangerous ground. I have had others in mind. And, I have been so foolish. So foolish, to not lock my heart, and allow my feelings to wander farther than they should have. I am not saying the love I have for other women is not real, just that I know it is not right. I certainly would want my wife to have more than one spouse if there were certain men she wanted to be with, that wanted to be with her. But, this entire discussion is all just craziness. Like a few of you have said or implied, why in the heck would some one even THINK about this kind of stuff. You are all probably thinking, "Does this idiot have anything better to do with his down time?!" I need to get over my feelings for others, because my wife should be my total focus. I know men whom are NOT very religious at all, that are so much more faithful in thought and mind to their spouses than I am! And, that's because they are just inherently good, better than me in that aspect, and I look up to them and appreciate them for that! I will asking forgiveness for this post and wasting all of your time :) Well, I am hoping that it has been a valuable venture for some one, I know it has been for me. I am going to recommit to my wife and not worry about all of this stuff we can't comprehend and shouldn't much meddle with. Thank you every one for all of your time and insight into this, it has been very valuable. Our hearts, and brains are good things. We just need to keep them from taking things too far that are not apporpriate. Why on earth would some one bother with these things anyway. Seriously, I need to move on, and am praying to have help with it. My wife and I have discussed these things, and she knows of my feelings, and we haev recommitted to each other. She is the greatest thing in my life, and I can't believe she chose me. Take care every one!