Mohawk and sacrament?

ThatLDSKiD

Is the mohawk appropriate for sacrament?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the mohawk appropriate for sacrament?

• Yes
    • No

thatldskid

You have a one of many chooses to make in your teen life that will help you to develop into the adult you may become. The other adults on this site were giving you advice from their perspective. That's why there are different answers everyone has different perspective. There were no attacks on you or your sprituality. Just hypothetical situations. If you choose to get the mohowk and your ym president questioned you about it would you say to him listen hear buddy? I mean no disrespect at all to you but if my 15 year old daughter was disrespectful to an adult because she didn't like the advice she got I would be more worried about that than the hair style she wore. I wish you the best in you search for an answer and best of luck with your hockey team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I participate in a number of discussion forums on the internet. Been a moderator of a few too.

The reason for a discussion forum (in my opinion) is to help expand someone's thinking and offer additional resources to help that person make good decisions. It doesn't matter what the subject is.

The nice thing about a forum like this, is that it is geared towards LDS beliefs and practices. If "ThatLDSKid" asked his parents the same question as he asked here, would he get the same varied responses as he got here? What about his YM advisor? What about the Bishop?

We don't need to "hammer" the standards down on anyone here. As Joseph Smith has said "I teach them correct principles and let the people govern themselves."

In D&C 9:7-9 we read:

7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.

Asking questions on an internet discussion forum is another way to help others to "study it out in your mind".

I would (and I try) to give others a new thought for their consideration. I try to give posters new ways on how to think about a situation... not necessarily what to think.

If you want to make a strong statement about a subject, why not turn it into a question?

Instead of saying:

- You are wrong!

You can say:

- Is it possible that you're wrong?

One causes defensiveness. The other helps open the mind to other possibilities and allows teaching and instruction.

Guest gopecon

This is an issue that really should be addressed by the bishop. Different people's situations might get different answers from the same bishop. For example a struggling youth who is returning to activity might get some more slack on his appearance (at least temporarily) than the 1st assistant in the priests quorum. As the president of the Aaronic Priesthood, and a judge in Israel it really is his call.

As a member, I find the different boys' looks and quirks to be endearing (but I totally heart teenagers). Here are these kids, each with his own personality, working together to do their priesthood duty. My assessment of our young men is pretty much the norm in our ward. We love our youth! And hey, youth will be, well, youthful.

I don't think the haircut you posted is immodest or inappropriate. It's a fun tradition with your friends on your team and doesn't take away from your duties as a priesthood holder.

Best wishes to you, and your team!

As a member, I find the different boys' looks and quirks to be endearing (but I totally heart teenagers). Here are these kids, each with his own personality, working together to do their priesthood duty. My assessment of our young men is pretty much the norm in our ward. We love our youth! And hey, youth will be, well, youthful.

I don't think the haircut you posted is immodest or inappropriate. It's a fun tradition with your friends on your team and doesn't take away from your duties as a priesthood holder.

Best wishes to you, and your team!

Guys in general are endearing haha. Although, its lovely to see how concerned you are over this. It's nice that you really truly care. I also think the haircut is very mild. And, I wouldn't be worried. This hair cut does not affect your testimony nor is it a sin.

When I dyed a bright vivid red streak in my hair as a memory/way of grieving my close friend that died I went to the temple a day later. I sat down, with bright red in my hair and none of the temple workers said a word. When I was doing confirmations one of the priestholders said something along the lines of "Whats with your hair?" In a really rude manner. I just sat there and ignored him. My seminary teacher (and best friends dad) spoke up and said something like "It's in memory of a close friend of liz's that passed away" and gave the other guy a very stern look. The confirmations continued.

Some people are just judgmental. You are fine. Don't worry :)

Some people are just judgmental.

Or some people give the Sacramental Ordinance the seriousness and respect it deserves and some people have been through the "follow the crowd" mentality and are giving a warning as to it's perils.

Guest gopecon

This reminds me of the debate over how people should dress at church. In many churches the dress code is quite casual, with the idea being that they want people in the pews however they look. Other churches (ours included) teach that how you dress is one way that you can show your reverence and respect for God. Sometimes we try to have it both ways - we don't want people who are showing up for the first time to feel to uncomfortable in their jeans which is good. It is better that someone is at church than at the ball game. As people keep coming they will hopefully get the idea that dressing up is appropriate and is a way to show respect for being in a sacred place.

This is somewhat the situation here. The care that we put into our appearance does say something about how seriously we take the ordinances of the Gospel. The example picture links do not seem extreme - I've definitely seen worse at church, but if your appearance will detract from the spirit while people are supposed to be focusing on the Savior. It's not about them being judgemental, its about the priesthood holder taking the responsibility of acting in the name of the Lord seriously. Bottom line - talk with the bishop, he's the one who has the final say on who can participate as he is the president of the Aaronic priesthood in his ward.

We are not responsible for if others think of the savior or not during the sacrament. It's not a bad hairstyle and if ppl are so shallow that they find something that simple a distraction then they had better not leave their little bubble, have kids, or invite new members to church.

Guest gopecon

I agree that the hairstyle in question does not seem that bad, but I have to respectfully disagree with you Gwen. It absolutely is the priesthood's responsibility to do what they can to protect the dignity of the ordinance (sacrament or otherwise) and not provide undue distractions for people. Now if I as a member in the congregation allow myself to be distracted by something like a haircut, that's my loss. But good priesthood holders will not do anything to enhance the likelihood of distractions.

We are not responsible for if others think of the savior or not during the sacrament. It's not a bad hairstyle and if ppl are so shallow that they find something that simple a distraction then they had better not leave their little bubble, have kids, or invite new members to church.

On this one, I disagree with you.

Are we not out brothers keeper? Are we not in church to fellowship and share in God's spirit of worship? Are we not trying to teach our youth the importance and sacredness of the ordinances we are privileged to have? Should a Deacon, Teacher, Priest administer these ordinances in all kinds of technicolor and funky clothing and hair styles? Is it not their responsibility as holders of God's Priesthood to act accordingly so they may add to the spirit rather than detract from it? Do they not hold the Aaronic Priesthood in preparation for greater Priesthood powers and responsibility?

I never said there shouldn't be a respect for the ordinance. I totally think there should be but a person can only do so much. This goes back to the same discussions in other threads about women with large chests that dress modestly or mother's of small children leaving the room.

I do not think ym ought to be passing in shorts and flip flops like they are going to the beach or something. But if he dressed in a normal acceptable suit, is clean, an acceptable tie, behaving properly it shouldn't matter what kind of hair cut he has. That hair cut, though not "missionary" isn't disrespectful.

Bottom line is after we have done what we can to be respectful and modest and in keeping with our covenants (and not sell our soul to become some drone) then it's time to move on with our life. We can't spend every moment of everything we do worring about other's thoughts. We are not responsible for Adam's transgression.

I may be a fuddy-duddy Peter-Priesthood type (ok, Peter Priesthood maybe pushing it) but I'm really into personal responsibility, caring for the spirituality of others, and not doing anything to detract from feeling the Spirit. I personally believe we will be held accountable for it.

For those who disagree with me, well, let's agree to disagree and stay forum friends.

Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?

The problem with this "test" is everyone has a different idea of what we should be comfortable with. For example I don't think the lord would ask me to leave an opportunity to hear his words to feed an infant and I would be totally comfortable nursing in front of him. Yet many think nursing in the chapel is among the most serious of sins.

I don't see what he is doing with his hockey team any different than when the guys on the swim team I went to school with shaved their heads, arms and legs.... and passed the sacrament of all horrid things. Can you imagine, boys, preisthood holders shaving their legs like a bunch of girls. I know they claim it increases their competitive edge but I'm sorry I don't buy it. Maybe their head but their arms and legs.... I might buy olimpic quality competition but high school? lol

Please note sarcasim where appropriate.

He's a teenage boy, who is part of a team, and as such they do things to build team spirit. As long as it keeps in the standards he has covenanted to live by have fun. I also can't see how it's any more distracting than the current trend of off the neck but over the ears and eyes. Not sure what it's called other than it looks like they walked out in the middle and didn't get a full haircut. lol

Now, I think a mohawk that's long and spiked would be distracting for church, but the style in that picture isn't distracting to me at all. My non-member opinion is that Christ would have no problem with how a person wears their hair or how they dress, He loves everyone unconditionally, so if one is trying to be like Christ, they wouldn't be distracted by appearance.

Now, I think a mohawk that's long and spiked would be distracting for church, but the style in that picture isn't distracting to me at all. My non-member opinion is that Christ would have no problem with how a person wears their hair or how they dress, He loves everyone unconditionally, so if one is trying to be like Christ, they wouldn't be distracted by appearance.

Agreed. The debate is whether ordinances should be performed by someone with a mohawk such as the Sacrament (Eucharist) and such.

Or some people give the Sacramental Ordinance the seriousness and respect it deserves and some people have been through the "follow the crowd" mentality and are giving a warning as to it's perils.

See Slamjet? These are the type of comments I was talking about. What exactly are you implying with these statements? I understand you have good intentions, obviously, but is it really necessary to "imply" that lizzy and I don't take Sacramental Odinances seriously or respectfully? We just think its some little tea party that we go to every Sunday as a social event?

No. So rather than call us out, like you did to me when I first responded to your initial comment, you should be giving us advice or perspective. Like that one contributor suggested, you could offer new perspective and insight by answering our question with another question.

In example, you could substitute your relatively rude comment above with: Well what would you personally consider more important for your spiritual development, honoring the sacrament or "following the crowd."

That's much more helpful and friendly as opposed to basically criticizing us. And even if we do totally disrespect Sacramental Ordinances there are other ways to voice your opinions in ways that would represent the Church as an organization and community with open arms for people willing to better themselves.

If you are such a believer in personal responsibility and you believe so staunchly that my questioned hairstyles could disrupt others, then maybe you should consider ways in which you disrupt people on this forum (even if you feel it is innocent).

See Slamjet? These are the type of comments I was talking about. What exactly are you implying with these statements? I understand you have good intentions, obviously, but is it really necessary to "imply" that lizzy and I don't take Sacramental Odinances seriously or respectfully? We just think its some little tea party that we go to every Sunday as a social event?

No. So rather than call us out, like you did to me when I first responded to your initial comment, you should be giving us advice or perspective. Like that one contributor suggested, you could offer new perspective and insight by answering our question with another question.

In example, you could substitute your relatively rude comment above with: Well what would you personally consider more important for your spiritual development, honoring the sacrament or "following the crowd."

That's much more helpful and friendly as opposed to basically criticizing us. And even if we do totally disrespect Sacramental Ordinances there are other ways to voice your opinions in ways that would represent the Church as an organization and community with open arms for people willing to better themselves.

If you are such a believer in personal responsibility and you believe so staunchly that my questioned hairstyles could disrupt others, then maybe you should consider ways in which you disrupt people on this forum (even if you feel it is innocent).

Wow, underwhelming. Grow some skin, learn to comprehend what you're reading and, while you're at it, grow up.

I have seen priesthood holders denied the privilege of officiating in the sacrament because their button down shirt was blue instead of white. The church has a very clear guide for dress and appearance, especially when it involves officiating or partaking in an ordinance. When getting into details and standards outlined for dress and appearance, the direction is always towards modesty and away from most things of the world.

Now for my attempt at mediation ...

The language used by ThatLDSKiD in the "thread title" and "poll name" is poorly chosen. it's representation of what is being asked and what is being presented is not accurate and misrepresents what the context of the issue is. Now, clarification is made in the post as to conditions and circumstances meant to relieve the OP of any incorrect assumptions that might have been reached because the titles are prejudicial to themselves in regard to the thread and poll names. So prejudicial in fact, that the opening lines of the post are already clarifying key points and ideas that (apparently) a lot of people had before they even started to read the post. Whether this was by design, an oversight or naivety is unclear. Because of that variable, the motive remains a mystery and further analysis would be futile.

So then everyone spent 5 pages defending their perspective of what was being asked, regardless of whether anyone else's position was even on the same issue. What I learned from all this is that misdirected sarcasm is always the answer when no one is really sure of the question. Notice my use of it in the sentence immediately before this one. Now I was going to sift through everything again and list all the views that were in the arena against each other, but if I over analyze this thread any further I'm afraid I'll have a mental breakdown. But it's comforting to know that if I'm beyond overtired and it's 2am that I can make myself sound real real smart. This seemed like a good idea at the time. Meh,