Mohawk and sacrament?

ThatLDSKiD

Is the mohawk appropriate for sacrament?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the mohawk appropriate for sacrament?

• Yes
    • No

Let's please keep in mind that the OP is 16 years old. He is looking at things from a 16 year old perspective and we as adults need to respect that.

I would never want this site to become a place that our youth can not come and ask questions regarding things that are of concern to them. Remember, what concerns them is again from a teenage perspective.

We as adults need to answer in a way that would help guide them not condemn them.

Edited by pam

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Spartan: when I became a deacon it was explained to me that a white shirt and tie were required, along with dress pants and dress shoes. We were given leniency on the shoes and pants, but the shirt had to be white. Everything else is sort of "gray area" from what I understand. That is the reason i created this thread, to ask for peoples' opinions whether the hairstyles from the pictures are appropriate or not. I did not ask for peoples' opinions of me or for some critique on me. I asked a "yes" or "no" question and there were a few posts that were neither. I purposely phrased my title the way I did so that it would get more attention, and thus get more insight. That is why my initial post was so detailed and i even provided pictures, because I didn't want misunderstandings, it was an effort to explain myself in detail.

And thank you Pam for your acknowledgement

My 5-month-old son had a fauxhawk at church today. :) His hair is growing mostly down the middle of his head, anyway, so I teased it up with a little of his dad's gel. It was pretty cute.

It has been an interesting thread to read. I grew up and was taught that I needed to dress my best for Sunday. And especially if I was participating in the Sacrament. Did I always do that? Yes and no. I was fortunate to have a suit growing up, so I was dressed nice in that manner. However, I was a teenager when it seemed people were letting their hair get pretty shaggy and the skater mentality was big in my area. So I let my hair grow out, and I've seen pictures looking back and I don't think it looked the most appropriate thing. Why? Because I looked like a bum. Now my hair is just barely long enough to part.

I dont think my situation isn't going to be any different from other times. I didn't live in the 70's or 80's, but I'm sure there were various hairstyles that were "extreme" but at the time seemed okay but are now out of style. I can't imagine people with mullets passing the sacrament.:D it would seem pretty weird to me. But it might be a natural look at other times, and wasnt distracting.

Another type of haircut i think is interesting. Maybe there is a family that cuts their kids own hair. Some of those kids hair might be distracting because of how lopsided it is. It however is no way an attempt to disrespect the Priesthood or the ordinances.

One last point, I served my mission in a 2nd world country. People don't have money for suits, their hair was generally longer than it is here in a America. However, they did try to look good, and respect their priesthood. I mention this because we sometimes get conditioned to see things a certain way, so we think things need to be a certain way and respect things a certain way. However, I think there are a lot of cases, where we need to realize that for some people, that is all they have. They are doing their best. *That is giving people the benefit of the doubt* *That is also a more truer show of love and charity than saying the person is a problem for being different.*

My conclusion is thatLDSkid, you should pray about it and do what you feel is best. I believe you will make the right decision. Recognize that you are a representative of the Lord. But be it also noted that you are also an imperfect instrument. That is a point which SHOULD be remembered, but sadly isn't. People forgetting that point are the ones who get distracted and judgmental.

One additional note. The decision to be distracted is on everyone. I see people pass the sacrament in "distracting attire" from time to time. However I don't go to church because a deacon or a priest. I go for Christ, and to worship Him. I am not distracted because Christ is a real purpose i.

Forgive me if I phrased anything offensive, I'm a little tired. No offense was intended. I was just trying to make some points to help think about the issue.

@LDSKiD

I only meant to convey what I've seen to be as "the norm" for the church. There was no intention to go beyond that. The way this thread has gone I was tentative to post my opinion on the subject. But ... personally, I don't believe it is anyone's business what other people wear to church. The ONLY thing I remember about my first visit to church was the only guy there who was wearing jeans. He was also the only person who came up and introduced himself. He ordained me to both priesthoods (wearing jeans when he ordained me to elder) and was a witness at my sealing. He's a bit of a black sheep at the ward I was baptized into, simply because he wears jeans. He goes out with the missionaries weekly, took me under his wing and became my best friend and mentor. When I had to talk to our bishop about needing to repent right after I converted, I wanted to flake out because I was embarrassed. I was brand new in the church and messed up pretty bad. I didn't go to church one Sunday so he "insisted" on being my ride from then on. By "insisted" I mean he came to my house every Sunday and brought me to church even if he had to drag me to his car. What a difference those days meant. He knows more about the gospel than anyone I've ever met, and he seeks out the kind of person the Savior would hang out with, the kind of people who need to be at church. When I asked him why he wears jeans every Sunday, he replied "because it pisses everyone in the ward off." And he was right. It was cliquey, and there is an atmosphere about that ward that I've never experienced anywhere else. Now, we go to church to worship. Not to irritate the other members. I know that. He knows that. And that's the proper attitude to have. That being said, the only thing I remember about my first visit was the only guy in jeans who is now an forever my best friend. I try to meet and greet investigators and visitors at church the same way he greeted me. Except I always wear a shirt and tie :)

It isn't his jeans that I remember the most, but it's important to note them, it was the way he let me know that I was in the right place, and the way he didn't judge me. I don't wear a shirt and tie because that's what most people wear, I had to learn not to go to church for those people. I don't dress for them either. So I sincerely don't care what people wear to church. And no one else should either. Ever. But that wasn't what you wanted feedback on! Funny how that's what everyone did though ...

2 things for you LDSKiD ...

1: The haircut you posted pics of is not a mohawk.

2: Picking words to garner "more attention" and "more insight" creates the OPPOSITE effect when you DON'T want peoples opinions, just so you know for next time. Since you took so much offense when people gave you "insight" that you didn't like I can only assume you were distracted or something and didn't think the thread and post title all the way through. Because it seems like you went out of your way to be the center of attention. You picked words that you admit you knew would get peoples attention. You must not have realized the reason it got attention is because your words of choice automatically pop a very specific picture into people's minds that (at the very least) irritates them.

I'm sure that isn't the case though. You really do seem like a genuine kid, and I'm not being sarcastic anymore. Just don't play the victim, like the responses you got were completely out of line. You tried to subtlety offend people so you could get attention and it worked. That doesn't entitle you to a great big pity party. That gives you exactly what you asked for.

Guest mysticmorini

Looks like this thread is a bit old but I'll put my two cents in.

First, what is extreme and what isn't is purely a judgement call. I am positive that if Joseph Smith or Brigham Young saw our modern dress they would find it extreme.

Second, A fauxhawk is only a Fauxhawk when you spike it up like a Fauxhawk. If you dont spike it up it looks like a normal haircut. Why not wear it like that if you are concerned?

Finally, IMHO a fauxhawk is not generally extreme and you should be fine wearing it to sacrament. Only you know what is in your heart. If you feel that a fuaxhawk is respectful and appropriate dont let the flawed people on an internet forum second guess you.

Nothing wrong with the pics you showed for sacrament - in fact our entire boy scout troop came back from a week long camping trip like that including 2 of the adult leaders.

Now if you were talking spikes and weird colors I'd say yer that would be wrong.

Spartan I appreciate your story and respect this man you hold so dearly, which you referred to as a "black sheep." I am not trying to be a black sheep, I was just wondering whether I would be asked to get rid of my mohawk/faux hawk whatever you call it. I didn't want to get one to go along with the team, just to be asked to cut it. Hence the purpose of this post. And I think you misinterpreted my intentions with the title of the thread. Yes, I said "Mohawk and sacrament" to get attention, but only so that I would get more posts...in the past I have only had 2 or 3 people answer my question, and only 3 responses does not give me much perspective. I wanted more people to respond to my thread so that I received a broader perspective. I was NOT purposely trying to offend people! Like, where the heck do you get that from, with all do respect? I mean, no offense, but it seems crazy that I would try to offend people in order to get attention, and then purposely play victim...that is just weird. I consider the haircut a mohawk: hense "Mohawk." The question is regarding the sacrament: hense "sacrament." I wanted a short and brief title with little info so that people would be inclined to read my post. How is that purposely trying to offend or annoy people? I knew that people would immediately jump to conclusions once they read "mohawk" which is why I provided pictures and an explanation of why I was CONSIDERING gettting one. So once again, not trying to offend people.

As for the pity part, its not like I planned on getting offended...I was looking for "yes" or "no" responses based on other peoples' experiences with their wards. (I don't know how many times I have said that already, but its getting REALLY repetitive). I did NOT anticipate getting condemned for asking the question, which is why I reacted the way I did with slamjet. And then he also criticized Lizzy (despite the fact that her friend passed away) which got me really angry, because it showed how unsensitive he can be. So no, I wasn't playing a pity game. I was genuinely offended that someone would imply that i am some poser who doesn't understand the sacrament simply because I asked a question. Its basically like saying to me "who cares that he has the priesthood, the fact that he has to ask this question shows that he doesn't deserve it."

Now tell me that isn't offensive to a 15 year old.

I just wanted to say that I hope you did not misunderstand me. I'm not trying to make any type of judgement at all. You aren't able to hear a persons tone on a formun. I love youth and all of the difference in them that make them who they are. I don't see anything wrong with that type of haircut at all. I think that the youth today are faced with so many challenges that their hair should be the least of our worries. I guess I was just tring to say that I think that you misunderstood the advice that was given to you. I don't feel that anyone was tring to put down your beliefs your morals or your values. I do sometimes feel that the youth don't show as much respect to adults as they should and I guess that I was tring to help you see that. Not my place so sorry for that. If all you really wanted was a yes or no than in my oppion yes according to the pictures you showed us it's appropriate. But I must add that I am in no way qualified to answer that. If a priesthood leader said it was not than for me it wouldn't be. So again best of luck to your hockey team. And again I appolize if I offened you in any way.

(I haven't read the whole thread; apologies if I repeat what someone else has already written.)

A former bishop once described a meeting he had with someone called to a ward position (Gospel Doctrine teacher, maybe? don't remember). This brother was concerned about his beard and asked the bishop. The bishop replied, "If I asked you to shave it off, would you?" The man said, "Sure." The bishop said, "That's fine, then, don't worry about it." Many times, it's the attitude that's important and not the facial (or other) hair.

Here's a way to look at it: How important is the sacrament to the Aaronic Priesthood holder? Is officiating in the emblems of the sacrament so important that the Priesthood holder would gladly shave off his beard or moustache, cut off his mohawk or mullet, change his blue shirt for a white one, or do whatever other grooming or dress requirements the bishop may put forth? If so, his heart is right and he is worthy to officiate in the sacrament, whether or not the bishop asks him to do those things. If not, he is rebellious and his heart is not right before God, even if he happens to be sporting a missionary haircut.

I have seen priesthood holders denied the privilege of officiating in the sacrament because their button down shirt was blue instead of white. The church has a very clear guide for dress and appearance, especially when it involves officiating or partaking in an ordinance. When getting into details and standards outlined for dress and appearance, the direction is always towards modesty and away from most things of the world.

Really? Wow. I just wanted to quote the General Handbook about it:

Ties and white shirts are recommended because they add to the dignity of the ordinance. However, they should not be required as a mandatory prerequisite for a priesthood holder to participate. Nor should it be required that all be alike in dress and appearance. Bishops should use discretion when giving such guidance to young men, taking into account their financial circumstances and maturity in the Church.

Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings*

Guest gopecon

If the standard of a white shirt is well known in that unit, and the brother in question can afford said white shirt, and there are sufficient white shirted brothers in attendance, then I see no problem with enforcing a recommendation from the Handbook. I'd say that 95% of active priesthood holders know that white shirts are encouraged while performing ANY ordinance done in the name of the Lord. If they are too offended by being asked to wear a white shirt, I'd question whether their heart was in the right place (see Vort's comment above).

Guest mysticmorini

Does anyone else think it seems silly that one can have any color pants, shoes, socks, or tie but anything but a white shirt is out of the question? I really think this is a case of tradition becoming policy, policy becoming "doctrine"

Really? Wow. I just wanted to quote the General Handbook about it:

Ties and white shirts are recommended because they add to the dignity of the ordinance. However, they should not be required as a mandatory prerequisite for a priesthood holder to participate. Nor should it be required that all be alike in dress and appearance. Bishops should use discretion when giving such guidance to young men, taking into account their financial circumstances and maturity in the Church.

Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings*

The individual I was talking about was not a young man, but that isn't really the point. Like I said in my earlier post "I only meant to convey what I've seen to be as "the norm" for the church. There was no intention to go beyond that. " My perspective of the "norm" being very limited, but that's been my experience so far.

Hmm, I find it interesting how we're so concerned with the look of a persons haircut to the point where there's question on whether or not they may even pass the sacrament over it yet nobody will bat an eye over the look of a fifteen year old obese kid and just how much physical harm he is doing to himself by being overweight, yet he can pass the sacrament without any question whatsoever. Are our priorities messed up on this or what?

Hmm, I find it interesting how we're so concerned with the look of a persons haircut to the point where there's question on whether or not they may even pass the sacrament over it yet nobody will bat an eye over the look of a fifteen year old obese kid and just how much physical harm he is doing to himself by being overweight, yet he can pass the sacrament without any question whatsoever. Are our priorities messed up on this or what?

Wrong thread :rolleyes:

Hidden

Well, your's obviously are.

I'm just glad to know that you've reached perfection, apparently in body as well as soul.

Hey, every season my hockey team decides on a type of haircut for us all to get as part of team spirit and during playoffs we don't shave. Last year was flow (long hair), since a lot of the players are also lax bros, but this year we are doing mohawks. we aren't doing those weird punk mohawks, and it is kind of hard to describe how they look so i'll post some links from when i was looking on the internet to help you guys out. I want to know if it is inappropriate for me to be serving the sacrament (i'm 15) while having a mohawk. I understand i probably won't be asked to skip out until i get rid of it, but i still don't want anything that might lead to problems. Please let me know what you think, if it is inappropriate or not.

Thanks!

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/120709_marksalling.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RWOnrKFYUwQ/TNMF2wGsqpI/AAAAAAABEgg/J1k6xDxdfMY/s1600/+_+0+mark+salling.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00803/SNF15SPDCUT-580_803535a.jpg

don't dye it a vivid color, and if you don't have it all spiked up or done really weird on (IE just have it flat, neat and respectful as possible) sunday you probably won't have to worry about it... but make sure to ask the bishop about first