Tablet-- The future is here

tubaloth

I ended up buying a Asus Transformer 16gb tablet some months ago. Why you may ask.

1. I have always been a video game guy. I have owned at least one video game system since the first Nintendo came out (got an Atari later). I owned the first Game boy. So I have wanted another gaming device.

2. I'm a computer guy and wanted a laptop, but had no use to for one when my home computer is good enough. The only reason I would ever use a laptop would be for trips.

3. After Going to Disneyland in 2009, I went to the technology exhibit there (in tomorrow land). Pretty much a sales pitch for Microsoft. But they had Touch tables. I found them interesting enough that after I bought my house I was going to try to build a touch table on my own. In the end other costs (like buying actually furniture) outweighed it.

When Android (honeycomb) tablets finally started to come out I settled on the Asus Transformer for good value vs quality.

I would have to say it has exceeded my expectations. Yes there are plenty of games to play on it (most of them have a free version). Yes you can watch videos and listen to music. It also is fun to use the touch screen.

The biggest surprise is books.

I never planned on it being used for books.

Google Books is already pre-installed. (You can actually install goggle Books on your desktop). Google books are a little different than other eBooks because in most cases it's a scanned copy of the book. Google has been big on scanning any book that is in the public domain. I didn't really think that would be that big of deal, but now I read The House of the Lord by James E. Talmage. (not an easy book to read at first). This books actually goes pretty well on a tablet. I have also downloaded Joseph Smith's History by George Q Cannon (a book I have always wanted to read). I downloaded the first Journal of Discourses. This book can be read but because the original book was so big (print) the font is pretty small on the tablet.

One problem I have with reading books on a tablet is no way of marking them. When you read a religious book you want to mark it.

One of the recent updates for my tablet installed the Kindle app. I already had an Amazon account. This is more of an E-reader or e-book. Meaning the book's text is put into an electronic format. This allows you to change the font size to some extent. There are also Kindle editions that have extra information.

This was more to just download other free books, like Sherlock Holmes and other classics. I would say reading a Kindle book is easier and a little better. The other day I went to copy a word in the Kindle book, much to my surprise I could highlight the text, and even add my own footnote to it. You can even download a dictionary and look up any word in a Kindle version of the book. Some of these features don't work with just an ebook.

I realize now I probably could read a full book on my tablet.

I tried the Barns and Noble app, and it isn't as good. I have deleted it.

I do wish Amazon (or Barns and Noble) would sell the Kindle version of their books a little cheaper. More I suggested to them that if I buy the hard copy they give me the Kindle version for like half price. I don't know if that will happen.

I know there are some out there that have bought a Kindle just for books. I do suggest you take a look at buying a tablet instead (ipad or Android). You get way more functionality for the price.

Edited by tubaloth

This if or a list of games I have downloaded. Feel free to put any other games and apps you have discovered. Make sure to include which version (iOS or Anrdoid) you used it on.

Air Control You land different air planes. At first it seems a little too simple but a really addicting game. The free version (with ads) has 2 maybe 3 maps. The full version I think has 5 maps total. I paid for this one because the full version was like $1.30 or something. Its sold out of China I think.

All the Angry Birds. (Was the developer for Angry Birds Left handed?)

BlastABall FREE

The graphics are pretty good. More just a silly game. You shoot a ball from a canon through a target or rings or something.

Blow Up (Lite)

You have a building that you need to bring down with explosives. Its a puzzle game to level the building below a point. There are 18 levels total. I'm not sure what the full version has. The free version seems to be fun enough.

Bubbles 2 HD

Basic group colors together.

Burn the Rope

A new game I found. A rope is in some shape. You touch the rope to get it to burn. The flame only burns upwards, means you have to turn the tablet around to keep the flame going up.

Car Conductor: Traffic Control

Cars are coming down lanes of traffic. You have make sure the care is in the right lane. You move the cars and trucks to different lanes. A Hard game but good graphics and still fun puzzle game.

Cloudy

Puzzle game. You have to get the paper airplane to collect all the stars. You have to figure out what path to have the plane fly in. Gets kind of hard quickly.

Doodle Fit FREE

Kind of a twist on Tetris. You are trying to fit the shapes in a give box/shape. You can either draw the shapes or drag them.

Fruit Slice

Slice fruit for points. Its funny a couple of times, but lose its appeal.

Galaxy on Fire 2™ THD

A great game, and I'm surprised it free. You are a pilot in some galaxy. You fly some spaceship and shoot down air craft and mine stuff. Its a little slow moving but the graphics are great.

Glow Hockey 2

Air Hockey on a tablet. The first version only allowed for single player. This version has two player.

My Piano

A piano.

Refraction Lite

Puzzle game where you bounce light point A to point B. A tough game.

Return Zero (FREE)

Puzzle game. There are a lot of games out there like this. Really you are space craft and you are trying to avoid hitting a walls speeding at you.

Riptide GP

The other game I paid for. You race Jet skies around a course. You do jumps and tricks to get boost. A good game, kind of repetitious.

Rocket Bunnies

You shoot bunny between different planets to collect carrots. Graphics are good. Game play is a little old. Not sure how far the free version goes for.

Stair Dismount

This is a strange game. You push some figure down the stairs. The more it gets hurt the more points you get. Its more a physics game. A little surprised how fun it is. Works okay on the tablet, but still could use some work.

SketchBook Express

The best drawing app I have found on Android.

Stardunk

Shoot basketballs from the other side of the world.

Tic Tac Toe Free

This had a bug in it, I e-mail the developer and he has fixed it. A good free Tic Tac Toe game with Ads.

Tiki Golf 3D FREE

An okay Golf game. (I'm looking for better ones). The ads are kind of strange. It has crazy golf Courses.

TurboFly 3D Demo

Kind of like RipTide expect your a space craft kind of sliding through a course. A little harder to controller.

I love my Transformer. I have had it about 2 weeks. I mostly use it for twitter, facebook, general browsing, watching movies (free) on Crackle. I just got a nice leather cover that also folds to to make a stand. It's a rooCase. love it and got it on Amazon. Netflix not available yet. I also like playing WordsWithFriends. It's scrabble you play with your facebook and twitter friends.

I wish there were more (trustworthy) av/am apps for Android like MalwareBytes. I do have the AVG app. will not bother with bloatware like Norton. And a good firewall. there are so many apps, but from companies you never heard of. Tempted to try firefox browser but I hear it's still a bit buggy.

I'm graduating from college with my bachelors degree this December. I've asked my parents for a tablet as a graduation gift. But I haven't decided which tablet to get. How does the Asus Transformer compare to other tablets out there like the iPad2, Samsung Galaxy, Toshiba Thrive, etc?

I am wanting something I can download e-books from Amazon.com to read and highlight/add notes as I read, has wifi and 3G connections, and is easy to transfer documents between my laptop and the tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm graduating from college with my bachelors degree this December. I've asked my parents for a tablet as a graduation gift. But I haven't decided which tablet to get. How does the Asus Transformer compare to other tablets out there like the iPad2, Samsung Galaxy, Toshiba Thrive, etc?

I am wanting something I can download e-books from Amazon.com to read and highlight/add notes as I read, has wifi and 3G connections, and is easy to transfer documents between my laptop and the tablet.

Considering I haven't used any other tablet I can only guess based off my research.

The ipad 2 is probably still the best tablet out there. I would say the Asus Transformer is second. Mostly because of the price. It has the same screen type (IPS) that ipad has. A little bigger screen. It does weight a little more and is a little thicker.

The Samsung Galaxy is probably the next best one. But is a $100 more then the Transformer. Samsung build it to be pretty much exactly like the ipad. They do have there own type of screen technology which is probably a little better then IPS type screens (better viewing angles). But from what I hear there isn't any ports on the Samsung (the Transformer has a MicroSD slot).

I think 3g version isn't even out yet. But maybe soon. It does work really well as a Kindle reader and you can do it all on it. Transferring documents does work okay, its almost just easier to e-mail yourself the document or even store things in Google Docs (wouldn't surprise me there is a Google Doc app?).

Rumor is that an updated transformer is coming out this fall (sept/oct) that will be running with the new Tegra 3 chipset- quad core and faster graphics. If it weren't for this, I too would have a transformer :)

I think there is a lot of confusion of when the new transformer is going to come out.

It sounds like that its more the Transformer Slider which is kind of like a big phone and has a slide out keyboard. This does make it bigger but still a nice idea. This is do out soon. I would think having this quad core is going to make it cost more. Thats to be seen.

ASUS confirms Eee Pad Transformer 3G and Slider due August - SlashGear

The point of quad core is multi-tasking. You do a little multi-tasking but not enough yet to need a quad core.

They could include the new chip in the 3g transformer, more to just update the line. But I don't expect a full new Transformer until next year.

I do find it surprising how bad the HP touchpad failed. There was even a fire sale of them for $99. For one after using a tablet I'm a little surprised how much they build the touchpad to be used in portrait mode. All the commercials show it being used this way. Thats fine for a phone, but not that usefully for a tablets.

It does show that tough the Tablet market is getting. It sounds like Apple might not take a full hit until maybe Windows 8. Pretty much a tablet well become your portable PC that syncs up with your home PC. Sound like they will almost be one device (or at least thats what Microsoft is trying to do).

I do find it surprising how bad the HP touchpad failed. There was even a fire sale of them for $99. For one after using a tablet I'm a little surprised how much they build the touchpad to be used in portrait mode. All the commercials show it being used this way. Thats fine for a phone, but not that usefully for a tablets.

Why was it a surprise? Did the HP tablet have any significant advantages over Apple?

Has HP succeeded against Apple in any market for the past 5-7 years? As you are probably aware, HP is bailing out of the PC business as well.

It does show that tough the Tablet market is getting. It sounds like Apple might not take a full hit until maybe Windows 8. Pretty much a tablet well become your portable PC that syncs up with your home PC. Sound like they will almost be one device (or at least thats what Microsoft is trying to do).

Microsoft has been in the phone and tablet business for something like 10 years or more and has failed miserably. Apple is ascending while Microsoft is on the decline. Why will they succeed in the future when they have failed so spectacularly up till now? Edited by john doe
fixed quote function

Why was it a surprise? Did the HP tablet have any significant advantages over Apple?

It sounded like WebOS would have a home on the Tablet way more then on a phone. Honestly if WebOS would have come out last year on a tablet before HoneyComb it probably would have had a chance?

HP is bailing out of the PC business as well.

This is also bad news. To buy business PC Dell is all that is left. Not good.

Microsoft has been in the phone and tablet business for something like 10 years

Microsoft has a tablet? I know what you mean, but up until now Microsoft has never had a Tablet OS.

Windows 7 Phone hasn't failed yet.

Now with Steve Jobs gone, who knows if Apple can keep up what they are doing. I don't expect it to change any time soon.

Microsoft has a tablet? I know what you mean, but up until now Microsoft has never had a Tablet OS.

Not sure what you mean. I spent much of 2002 and part of 2003 writing automated tests for the Windows Tablet PC OS team. (Technically, I think it was called the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.) By 2004, it was available as a Windows XP Service Pack 2 feature.

• 5 months later...

I am so glad I didn't get an iPad because my Transformer Prime is amazing! And that's coming from an Apple user ;)

It is simply a beautiful tablet, inside-out and at an affordable price. It has a great 8MP camera that makes adding quality photos to my blog easy peasy and impressive speakers that are crisp for listening to Slacker or Pandora. The screen is sharp and vivid! And it's quick! Apps and online gaming run fast! Other surprising perks are its slimness and paper-weight lightness. Wow! I've had mine for 3 days and LOVE it! Still waiting on backorder for dock..

For note, Apple makes a great product that is solid and user-friendly BUT I'm glad I didn't invest in an iPad just because it's an Apple and I'm an Apple user. After researching some of the top performing tablets, I decided to go with the Asus Transformer Prime and let me tell you — it's a beast! It runs quick and effortlessly for web-browsing, utilizing multiple apps, online gaming, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, it's very slim and light weight (I believe it's the slimmest and lightest 10" tablet to date). The exterior on this device is sleek looking and feels solid. I bought the amethyst gray, and the colour and back finish on it is nice! Doesn't have the cheap plastic feel that even some of the top contending tablets have..

So here are some photos I took the day I received mine. I pre-ordered this 2 weeks before Christmas and just got it a few days ago but I'm still waiting on the dock. Regardless of delays and backorders, the wait has been totally worth it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hidden

"The Future is here" is the wrong name for this thread. If the future is here then they could build tablets in factories that did not kill men and women and children using slave labor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?pagewanted=all

I wonder if there is an app where we can track the horrible work conditions in China factories that make tablets, video game systems, Dell PCs, etc...

HG I'm going to place a warning here. Almost every single thread that you post on, you change the subject to the work conditions in China. This will stop now. Quit derailing threads with your agenda. I've deleted your post.

Edited by pam

This if or a list of games I have downloaded. Feel free to put any other games and apps you have discovered. Make sure to include which version (iOS or Anrdoid) you used it on.

Air Control You land different air planes. At first it seems a little too simple but a really addicting game. The free version (with ads) has 2 maybe 3 maps. The full version I think has 5 maps total. I paid for this one because the full version was like $1.30 or something. Its sold out of China I think.

All the Angry Birds. (Was the developer for Angry Birds Left handed?)

BlastABall FREE

The graphics are pretty good. More just a silly game. You shoot a ball from a canon through a target or rings or something.

Blow Up (Lite)

You have a building that you need to bring down with explosives. Its a puzzle game to level the building below a point. There are 18 levels total. I'm not sure what the full version has. The free version seems to be fun enough.

Bubbles 2 HD

Basic group colors together.

Burn the Rope

A new game I found. A rope is in some shape. You touch the rope to get it to burn. The flame only burns upwards, means you have to turn the tablet around to keep the flame going up.

Car Conductor: Traffic Control

Cars are coming down lanes of traffic. You have make sure the care is in the right lane. You move the cars and trucks to different lanes. A Hard game but good graphics and still fun puzzle game.

Cloudy

Puzzle game. You have to get the paper airplane to collect all the stars. You have to figure out what path to have the plane fly in. Gets kind of hard quickly.

Doodle Fit FREE

Kind of a twist on Tetris. You are trying to fit the shapes in a give box/shape. You can either draw the shapes or drag them.

Fruit Slice

Slice fruit for points. Its funny a couple of times, but lose its appeal.

Galaxy on Fire 2™ THD

A great game, and I'm surprised it free. You are a pilot in some galaxy. You fly some spaceship and shoot down air craft and mine stuff. Its a little slow moving but the graphics are great.

Glow Hockey 2

Air Hockey on a tablet. The first version only allowed for single player. This version has two player.

My Piano

A piano.

Refraction Lite

Puzzle game where you bounce light point A to point B. A tough game.

Return Zero (FREE)

Puzzle game. There are a lot of games out there like this. Really you are space craft and you are trying to avoid hitting a walls speeding at you.

Riptide GP

The other game I paid for. You race Jet skies around a course. You do jumps and tricks to get boost. A good game, kind of repetitious.

Rocket Bunnies

You shoot bunny between different planets to collect carrots. Graphics are good. Game play is a little old. Not sure how far the free version goes for.

Stair Dismount

This is a strange game. You push some figure down the stairs. The more it gets hurt the more points you get. Its more a physics game. A little surprised how fun it is. Works okay on the tablet, but still could use some work.

SketchBook Express

The best drawing app I have found on Android.

Stardunk

Shoot basketballs from the other side of the world.

Tic Tac Toe Free

This had a bug in it, I e-mail the developer and he has fixed it. A good free Tic Tac Toe game with Ads.

Tiki Golf 3D FREE

An okay Golf game. (I'm looking for better ones). The ads are kind of strange. It has crazy golf Courses.

TurboFly 3D Demo

Kind of like RipTide expect your a space craft kind of sliding through a course. A little harder to controller.

Ahhh galaxy on fire.... Youd think in the future that brakes or a throttle control would still be in fashion, but apparently not.

(still a fun one tho :P)

• 2 weeks later...

For note, Apple makes a great product that is solid and user-friendly BUT I'm glad I didn't invest in an iPad just because it's an Apple and I'm an Apple user. After researching some of the top performing tablets, I decided to go with the Asus Transformer Prime and let me tell you — it's a beast! It runs quick and effortlessly for web-browsing, utilizing multiple apps, online gaming, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, it's very slim and light weight (I believe it's the slimmest and lightest 10" tablet to date). The exterior on this device is sleek looking and feels solid. I bought the amethyst gray, and the colour and back finish on it is nice! Doesn't have the cheap plastic feel that even some of the top contending tablets have..

You wanted an iPad knockoff but not an actual iPad?