Books!

angelbaby

:sparklygrin: has any one read any good books lately? Relief Society in my branch recently started a book club and i'm actually really enjoying it. We just finished Little Women, which is a beautiful book and i highly recommend it. And i've just about finished this months book "My Sister's Keeper", which is a great book. Anyone else had a great read lately?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since right now I seem to read a lot of books about serial killers I wont mention their titles on the LDS site. See, I want to be a criminal profiler for the FBI, so serial killers and their psyche really interest me. But before I got into that, I really enjoyed a lot of the LDS fiction. My favorite author in that category is Betsy Brannon Green. All of her books are fantastic. They have adventure, and a little romance too! If you wanna know more, just ask me and I'll give some other good LDS fiction books.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes please, tell me about LDS fiction and any books that have appealed to you. I've kind of hit this reading slump (and sadly i haven't been back into reading all that long). i loved little women, and My Sister's Keeper. I just started Emma, but it's slow going - i like it, it's just not grabbing me the way the 2 previous books did. Our book club is about to start Shadow Of The Wind, which i haven't started yet. sorry it's taken me so long to reply, i have 2 small children who demand lots and lots of attention :wacko::sparklygrin:

some of my favorite LDS fiction books r the work and the glory, so good...and im big on the history of the world wars so the books children of the promise and hearts of the children are really good...the children of the promise books are in my opinion alot better then the second one but that is still good too.

I really have enjoyed-The Children of the Heart and The Children of the Promise Series-by Dean Hughes. Currently I am reading-Digging Deeper Discovering and Applying Life Changing Doctrines from the Book of Mormon-by Robert Eaton. i am enjoying it-I think I also enjoy it because he is in our ward and helped me coach my sons soccer team-and you seem to see the book differently when you know the author. Bodie Thoene is another great author-not a church author but great books! She has many different series and i have seen all of them sold in Deseret Book. I have also recently finished Gables of Legacy Series by Anita Stansfield-they are somewhat romantic, historical, church, etc... Hopefully this will help.

• 4 months later...

I've heard Jane Eyre is REALLY good, so it's on my to read list... actually I have a HUGE to read list... so if you ever run out of books, I can recommend a bunch... from classics to old Russian stuff back to things I should have read when I was a younger kid! I'm just short on time! so that's why there's now a list! so hopefully I'll get to them all, but for now I just recommend a bunch.

• 3 weeks later...

i must say i have not read Jane Eyre but i have heard it is good. maybe I should add it to my own to read list. Do you like Shakespeare? I LOVE HIM :wub: he is seriosly my favorite EVER!!! anyways...I recommend Anne of Green Gables also. The whole series is great. I can really relate to her.

~Molly

I am doing King Leah for AS this year, one of my favourite plays and some say Shakespeare's best. ;) I have read Little Women too, and the sequel Good Wives. Pride and Prejudice is a good Mormon read as well. ;)

Lately I have been reading lots of Pratchett, am starting the Last Continent soon, and have just finished Sourcery (Mort, Equal Rites, The Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic before those.). I love Jane Austin, and all the classic literature, Dickens, Oscar Wilde's Dorien Gray etc etc, but I also read a lot of Stephen King, Tolkien, any fantasy (Salvatore's Forgotten Realms Books, Dragonlance, which is written by members of the church, Pullman's His Dark Materials - which is filming right now, Daniel Craig / aka/ James Bond and Nicole Kidman are playing two of the leads, and Dragon Riders of Pern to name but a few.) The Da Vinci Code was entertaining, I adored Memoirs of a Geisha, and need to read some more Manga having recently got the 15th Priest book, a Korean Man-wha for those not in the know.

Yeah, i read a lot. That list was all in the last year.

Oh yeah, I didn't mention Wheel of Time! Awesome fantasy series. :D

I didn't know there was a sequel to little women!! You have deffinately made my day! though... it will have to be added to the already long list, so we'll jut have to see when I get around to it :unsure:

oh! and I'm reading Wuthering Heights, and so far it's awesome!

and! I just have to mention I'm stoked for The Golden Compass to come out !! :wow:

Poe is one of my favourite poets, I love Gothic poetry and prose, very dark and sensual writing, the rhythym is always important and effective.

I did an poem by Anne Bronte a couple of months ago, it was untitled but about a storm, a very moving poem indeed.

And yeah, I love Northern Lights *mumblesstupidamericachangingthebloodytitlemumbles*, its released this December and is going to be awesome. More people need to read Pullman, he is better then Tolkien and most if not all other fantasy writers. It take on religion is brilliant...

I just started up a RS book group in December. Our very first book was Little Women. In January we each brough 2-3 favorite children's books to talk about and for February, we're reading "The Raven" by Poe and "The Road Less Traveled" by Frost and also each bringing a favorite poem to read aloud. This summer we're looking for a free or very inexpensive Shakespeare play to go see (and read the play the month before).

In my last ward we had a great reading group going for several years. Here's a partial list of what we read:

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

The Seventh Son - Orson Scott Card

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom

Schindler’s List -

As You Like It - Shakespeare

The Odyssey - Homer (we watched the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou" to go with this)

The Giver - Lois Lowry

The Midwives (not sure on the title here, there are several with similar titles and at least one of the others is really bad, so be careful - we read the one about a midwife who has to perform an emergency C-section when the mother dies in labor and then stands trial for murder - told from the perspective of her daughter)

St. Peter’s Fair - Ellis Peters

My Name is Asher Lev - Chiam Potok

Macbeth - William Shakespeare

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Silas Marner

The Scarlet Pimpernell

Too Late the Phalorope

Jane Eyre

Watership Down

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Red Badge of Courage

The Good Earth

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch

To Kill a Mockingbird

An American Childhood - Annie Dillard

Love Comes Softly

Emma

Girl with a Pearl Earring

Middlemarch

Walden

Screwtape Letters

As you can see, we read a little of everything. My list is from memory, which means it omits the months I missed for some reason and also probably many books we read that I just didn't enjoy, and so completely forgot. We were also not formally a part of the RS Enrichment program before, so we read whatever we agreed on as a group, and we were all fairly tolerant of language & themes that would certainly not pass muster as an Enrichment "Special Interest Group." That is an issue with which we are struggling in the group I've formed in my new ward. We are constrained to keep to absolutely clean books, and quite frankly, most of the sisters who at first signed up lost interest when they found out all the restrictions placed upon us by the Enrichment leader. It's kinda hard when everything you reccommend gets shot down by the censors.

My favorite author is Sherri S. Tepper. (Talk about a take on religion . . .) I recommend 'Beauty' and 'Grass'. But the most important book she ever wrote in my opinion is 'Gate to Women's Country'. These are sci fi/ fantasy genre.

Other than that the book that means the most to me is "Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnette.

If you like doing Shakespeare's plays then perhaps you'd like some other plays, modern one's too? I love Arthur Millers All My Sons and Death of a Salesman, and Brian Freil's Translations. Oscar Wilde's plays are also very interesting, a diverse look at his time period with very intricate themes and idea's.

It's astonishing those kids have never read a book cover to cover! My mum taught me to read before I went to school, I read Narnia and Lord of the Rings by the time I was 8, along with Roald Dahl books too. :D

Robert Frost is another one of my favourite poets, The Road not Taken is the best of his later poems, for sure. Robert Browning and Christina Rossetti are another two. I love the epic poems like the Iliad and the The Odyssey (Oh Brother is a great companion... one of Cloony's best film IMO) and From Paradise Lost is a classic.

One of the distinguishing features of a "Great Book" is that it can (and really should) be read again and again. Some books are nice. They entertain, and maybe leave you thinking for a while. But a truely Great Book (or poem) is one that changes and grows as you do, and thus improves with rereading. There are so many books out there to read and not nearly enough time to read them all. Care should be taken not to waste time on drivel.

I've read a book or two in my time. I recently talked to two high school students that admitted to me that they have NEVER read a book from cover to cover! Truly hard to believe. How is that possible?

Dr. T

I know; it's one of the drawbacks of the digital age; shorter attention spans and a need for more colorful stimulation, I suppose.

Although...have you seen the Sony Reader? It supposedly looks just like paper, and can hold dozens of books digitally. It would be great for travel... Link

Thanks for the link Outshined. I didn't know about the Sony model. My PDA (Palm T5) is very similar. I use it all the time. There are many free books on the internet from classic to technical. I like using it because it hold a lot of space, you can read it almost anywhere you go, you can change the font size and take notes on another program. I have a hard time reading without a pen in my hands. I'm weird that way. My books always have notes in the margin. My wife hated it when we would share books :lol:

Dr. T