Openly gay man in bishopric

ADoyle90815

PS. I called the church office building in Salt Lake City late tonight and spoke to a receptionist there. She told me to call tomorrow during business hours to let the public affairs dept. know of this site/blog, which is what I'm going to do.

Honestly though. Is that really your place or business to do so?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dood is holding a calling, offered to him by his bishop, and probably approved by his stake president. It isn't my place to second guess those officeholders, based on stuff I read on blogs and websites.

That said, I predict this will pan out in one of two ways:

1- He will hold this calling for a pretty short time.

2- A miracle will happen.

(I usually say stuff like that with a snicker. But I've witnessed enough miracles and total 180-changes in hearts, to know it is a very real possibility.)

I went to Mich Mayne's website.... I was shocked. It sounds like he is definitely defining himself as "openly gay" and is open to another such relationship in his life. He admits to being "married" (he states he wore a wedding ring in his last relationship) and still holding callings in his ward....

I read his blog, which counsels parents on how to support their teens in their SSA~

Huhh?!?! I"m not even allowed to take the sacrament in my ward simply because I smoke! I know I will not be called to serve in a calling anytime soon because of this. What is going on here? There are a lot of General Authorities who are members of my ward, and my bishop is, or has been (might be emeritus now) a general authority. All the rules are strictly adhered to.

This seems like a double standard to me. I don't know fully what's going on. But, as has been said, I feel strongly that something needs to be said...

Dove, if you smoke you are actually breaking the Word of Wisdom and that's why you're not allowed to take the sacrament (action). How exactly is this guy breaking Church standards? By saying he is openly gay? Is that what you're saying? I fail to see the double standards you're referring to :confused:, please if you get a chance, explain. Thanks.

PS. I called the church office building in Salt Lake City late tonight and spoke to a receptionist there. She told me to call tomorrow during business hours to let the public affairs dept. know of this site/blog, which is what I'm going to do.

Why did you do that? :confused:

You mean like I had described someone had done here.

Not sure what all the fuss is about online about this brother. He is gay and he got a calling. So?

To me it annoys because he says with affirmation that he gay as opposed to saying he is struggling right now. The fact that he declares he is gay is essentially giving up. He is saying that he will always be gay and that God accepts him for that. Plus he essentially ruined his family life because he believes he is gay.

So I do see a problem with it.

I don't understand why Mormon men, possibly women, marry a young women in the temple while believing themselves to be gay! It happens more often than I thought!

Edited by AGStacker

I'm also curious...if

1) I were to describe myself as a happily married man in a heterosexual relationship, and

2) I openly admitted that if Natalie Portman arrived on my doorstep in a French maid costume, I might take advantage of the situation

would it then be necessary to release me from my callings because I admitted that I might be open to breaking my covenants in a hypothetical situation?

To me it annoys because he says with affirmation that he gay as opposed to saying he is struggling right now. The fact that he declares he is gay is essentially giving up. He is saying that he will always be gay and that God excepts him for that. Plus he essentially ruined his family life because he believes he is gay.

So I do see a problem with it.

Wait...what's the problem? Do you believe that God doesn't accept people who identify themselves as gay?

Wait...what's the problem? Do you believe that God doesn't accept people who identify themselves as gay?

He is deceiving himself to say that he is actually gay. He is struggling with sexual feelings. To me there is a difference between people saying "I am gay" and "I have homosexual feelings". Totally two different things.

If someone declares to be gay than they accept it and may never try to overcome this belief.

Can he remain "gay" and be worthy to serve? Sure. But he will miss out on many opportunities remaining a "gay" single man his whole life.

God accepts all people. I never said he didn't but this man is damning himself by declaring he is gay end of story.

He is deceiving himself to say that he is actually gay. He is struggling with sexual feelings. To me there is a difference between people saying "I am gay" and "I have homosexual feelings". Totally two different things.

If someone declares to be gay than they accept it and may never try to overcome this belief.

Can he remain "gay" and be worthy to serve? Sure. But he will miss out on many opportunities remaining a "gay" single man his whole life.

God accepts all people. I never said he didn't but this man is damning himself by declaring he is gay end of story.

We have no idea if he is damned or not. And we very little evidence that "gay feelings" can be "overcome" anymore than straight feelings can be overcome.

And I reject the notion that you can know if a person is damned or not based on their statements concerning their sexuality.

Edited by estradling75

I just don't even get this. :confused: He is attracted to people of the same gender. That IS the definition of "gay". Just because he's no longer trying to be heterosexual doesn't mean he's "given up". I would think living a celibate life is hard enough without trying to change the types of people you're sexually attracted to (which hasn't proved highly successful). I don't see how that's "damning himself". The Lord knows there are some struggles that we will carry with us our whole lives (alcoholism, the effects abusive childhoods/marriages, mental illness, chronic illness, etc. etc.) I don't think we "****" ourselves when we don't fight against our struggles as much as some third party thinks we ought to. Sometimes what looks like "giving up" to someone else, is all the person struggling can truely muster.

I call bull *#^@! We have no idea if he is damned or not. And we very little evidence that "gay feelings" can be "overcome" anymore than straight feelings can be overcome.

And I reject the notion that you can know if a person is damned or not based on their statements concerning their sexuality.

Dude I didn't say he is damned! Holy cow are you actually reading my posts?! I said he is DAMNING himself just like when you or I sin it is damnation. A single person who never marries, yet can, is also damning themselves because a HUGE portion in life is to be married and sealed. If we are not in this life and make NO effort to do so there is a VERY good chance that we will remain single in the next life.

Damnation is EVERYTHING except for the highest degree of the Celestial kingdom. You still are totally ignoring what I am actually saying. There is totally a difference between those who say "I AM GAY" and "I STRUGGLE WITH HOMOSEXUAL FEELINGS". If you can't decipher the two then please don't respond to this post.

I call bull *#^@! We have no idea if he is damned or not. And we very little evidence that "gay feelings" can be "overcome" anymore than straight feelings can be overcome.

You mean i might not be damned? and here i had such high hopes, darn!!! ;)