Church of Lies by Flora Jessop

IBelieveInAngels

I read a book called Church of Lies and it was very eye opening regarding how twisted some people are when practicing polygamy. I am not saying the church practiced anything like this, but one can't help but wonder, eh? (I am Canadian so that eh was legit. :P) They have this bizarre keep sweet, no matter what slogan. In other words, keep your mouth shut and do as your leaders command (even if it seems wrong.) They also give you your temple garment at age 8, after baptism and tell you that if you remove it, you go to you know where. Weird. On top of all this, they freak whenever Jehovah's Witnesses show up proselytizing, or any outsider, for that matter. The woman who wrote this, Flora, was raped by her father, terrorized and kept captive by her aunt and uncle and was eventually able to escape this notorious cult, and now tries to help girls escape polygamy and also fights to get lawmakers off their butts and enforcing their own laws. (Sad that someone has to force the government to do it's job, eh?) Anyways, it was an okay book, although I won't be reading it again.

I'm always hesitant to learn about someone else's beliefs, by listening to someone critical of those beliefs. There are umpteen horrible antimormon books out there, and I don't really suggest people learn about my faith by reading them. It's sort of a golden rule thing, I guess.

It's a pity that nobody seems to be able to find a membor of Jeffs' church willing to come on a forum like this and answer questions.

Guest Moderator
Hidden

Best I found was some dumb website maintained by the FLDS. And is it really anti if it involves the FLDS? They're the cult. The LDS isn't.

I think you missed the point he was trying to make. There are many other out there more then willing to say hateful things about the LDS church including calling us a cult. Because of this we would like and strongly encourage those who are looking to learn more about us to come and talk to us directly. Let us tell you, not some who we see as a bitter, twisted, and apostate exes.

If that is what we wish for ourselves and our faith then it would be a little bit hypocritical for us to then say that it is perfectly ok for you go to the bitter, twisted, and apostate exes of other churches to learn more about the other churches.

Best I found was some dumb website maintained by the FLDS. And is it really anti if it involves the FLDS? They're the cult. The LDS isn't.

I think you missed the point he was trying to make. There are many other out there more then willing to say hateful things about the LDS church including calling us a cult. Because of this we would like and strongly encourage those who are looking to learn more about us to come and talk to us directly. Let us tell you, not some who we see as a bitter, twisted, and apostate exes.

If that is what we wish for ourselves and our faith then it would be a little bit hypocritical for us to then say that it is perfectly ok for you go to the bitter, twisted, and apostate exes of other churches to learn more about the other churches.

That's a matter of perspective though, isn't it? You'll find plenty of people who consider LDS a cult as well, and will list a bunch of reasons why they believe the title of "cult" amply fits us. To those of us on the "inside" it's our chosen faith, to many of those on the "outside" (of the LDS faith) we're in a cult. I'm sure the FLDS would say the same.

I think you guys are missing the point *I* am trying to make. The FLDS *IS* a cult. The LDS isn't. The book was disturbing and I find it disturbing you would lop a woman who is trying to prevent child abuse and horrific things from happening in the same boat as antis. The point I was making is that it isn't okay, the things these nutjobs are doing in the name of God. That's all.

Two points...first, the word "cult" is a no-no here. It doesn't matter if the target is FLDS or Presbyterians, or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's just safer to avoid the word.

Second...as a non-LDS observer, I can respect the appeal to the OT for saying polygamy is not immoral. I may not agree that it is a wise or godly model for families, but I can at least see its roots in the Bible.

What I cannot agree to at all is using children as brides. Likewise for young adolescents. In this country (and in Canada) we're generally not grown up until we graduate from high school, or leave the home--around age 18.

So...if you want to offer some negative assessment of FLDS practices, it would be persuasive to focus on alleged child abuse and molestation, rather than dropping the c-word.

May I remind everyone of Article of Faith #11.

While we may not agree with the doctrine nor the practices of other religions, we will not use lds.net to bash another religion.

Just seems to me that when we assign the word "cult" to another religion, we are doing exactly what those that oppose us as LDS are doing. So that brings us down to their level. We need to rise above that.

I think you guys are missing the point *I* am trying to make. The FLDS *IS* a cult. The LDS isn't. The book was disturbing and I find it disturbing you would lop a woman who is trying to prevent child abuse and horrific things from happening in the same boat as antis. The point I was making is that it isn't okay, the things these nutjobs are doing in the name of God. That's all.

I can write a longgggg list of books written by people who experienced terrible things inside OUR Church (LDS). I can also write a longgggg list of anti-mormon books. I can also give ALL these books to a non-member and ask them to judge our Church based on those books. What do you think the result will be?