My husband watches bad movies

Hahnzee

While everybody has there own standard of what to watch and/or listen to and what not to, I always find it interesting how people will turn from a movie if there is even one f-bomb in it or simply has an R-rating (without knowing the content), yet they will sit and watch a t.v. show like Criminal Minds that depicts scenes of rapes, openly killing entire families while other family members watch, eye gouging, decapitations, cutting off body parts (one episode talked about how a killer would cause his victims to swallow their own fingers after he cut them off) and other countless examples that I could easily find in any 'Saw" movie (which is rated R) and yet this is o.k.?! Oh btw, you don't have to go to an R-rated movie to find f-bombs or explicit sex scenes. They're right in your good ole PG-13 movies as well.

Then there are people like me. I have nothing against watching rated R movies. I do, however, have something against watching bad movies. And my experience has been that the majority of rated R movies have earned the rating by including language and scenery that makes no contribution to the story or plot. These are the movies I don't watch...not because they're rated R--they're just lousy movies.

Then there are people like me. I have nothing against watching rated R movies. I do, however, have something against watching bad movies. And my experience has been that the majority of rated R movies have earned the rating by including language and scenery that makes no contribution to the story or plot. These are the movies I don't watch...not because they're rated R--they're just lousy movies.

I'm sure all of us can list a few Rated-R movies that we do consider to be "uplifting and of good report" and be able to spout off our reasoning.

But overall, MoE is right. Your good chunk of rated R movies... are not of good report for very specific reasons.

I once again endorse looking at content rather than at rating, but it's true: all too often you can assume it's rated R for a good reason.

While everybody has there own standard of what to watch and/or listen to and what not to, I always find it interesting how people will turn from a movie if there is even one f-bomb in it or simply has an R-rating (without knowing the content), yet they will sit and watch a t.v. show like Criminal Minds that depicts scenes of rapes, openly killing entire families while other family members watch, eye gouging, decapitations, cutting off body parts (one episode talked about how a killer would cause his victims to swallow their own fingers after he cut them off) and other countless examples that I could easily find in any 'Saw" movie (which is rated R) and yet this is o.k.?!

Someone said it was okay? Where did that take place?

I happen to agree with your summation, but your complaint is not well-founded. Do you think it unreasonable that a smoker might condemn crack cocaine usage? I mean, he's busy polluting his body with all sorts of bad things, so what's he complaining about?

Eschewing one form of evil is a good thing to do, even if you are partaking of another.

Oh btw, you don't have to go to an R-rated movie to find f-bombs or explicit sex scenes. They're right in your good ole PG-13 movies as well.

Moral: Avoid R-rated movies at all times, and while you're at it, avoid PG-13, as well.

I'm a bit late getting to this thread (though admittedly, no one was actually expecting me to show up here, LOL!).

Here's how I define "bad" movies (or TV, or any other entertainment)...

To me, "bad" is anything that drowns out my sense of peace, or causes fear, anger, jealousy, or any similar feelings. That being said, within the context of a story, "bad" stuff may appear. But if after I finish watching something I continue feeling these negative emotions, or if I find myself feeling distanced from the influence of the Holy Ghost, I pretty much know I've crossed my own personal "bad" threshold.

At which point, of course, repentance is a wonderful thing. :)

Put loving him above the movies chosen by him. Yes, he knows already how you feel and what standard you stick to. He knows you don't agree with his decision. Peace can be in your home, don't argue about these differences. If the sound bothers you, come up with a solution together. Of course it would be great if he wasn't choosing these kinds of movies......but contention over it most likely doubles his determination to 'make his own choice/decision'.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you want to say your husband doesn't do what you want him to do.. That's what you are trying to say!! Okay then why don't you report against him in the police?

I'm lost as to how this would help in this situation...or how it is even possible to do.

I think that a form of compromise could help in this situation. He can watch his shows or movies during certain times, free from criticism, and in return he honors your wishes when you are spending time together.