Can and Can'ts in LDS fiction

Backroads

I'll skip right to the point with a vague question:

Is it okay to stick werewolves/vampires/etc in blatantly LDS fiction?

Stephanie Myers did.:huh:

We are not commanded in all things. I don't know of any "rule" that even implies what a writer can or cannot write about. I'm sure there are members who feel that is not appropriate, but I'm sure there are others who would say "its just fiction."

Its hard to make a determination about what "blantantly LDS fiction" means. Is there a specific book you're referring to?

Edited by applepansy

I wouldn't categorize Twilight as LDS fiction, though.

I'm referring to a book idea my sisters and I are messing about with. In a perfect world, we would sell it to an LDS fiction publisher... and we just don't want it ripped from the Deseret Book shelves by order of the first presidency just because it has supernatural creatures in it. Mind you, this is to be a humorous type of book.

There are stories sold by Deseret Books that contain supernatural elements to them. For example: A Tapestry of Spells: A Novel of the Nine Kingdoms ,the Fablehaven books, and there are others.

I imagine the question is not if fantastic elements are in the book but how you treat them.

I wouldn't categorize Twilight as LDS fiction, though.

I'm referring to a book idea my sisters and I are messing about with. In a perfect world, we would sell it to an LDS fiction publisher... and we just don't want it ripped from the Deseret Book shelves by order of the first presidency just because it has supernatural creatures in it. Mind you, this is to be a humorous type of book.

In addition to the Stephanie Myer, Obert Skye who wrote the Leven Thumps series comes to mind. There are no vampires but definitely magical elements are in the book. I bought most of the series at Deseret Book.

I guess I don't understand exactly what you're asking. There are different types of fiction - fantasy, historical, etc.

What type of fiction are you thinking about? If historical? I think I personally wouldn't read a book about the Pioneers trek to Utah with werewolf among the wagon train. I don't think I'd read a book about a vampire missionary. My opinion doesn't mean much. I have no idea if Deseret Book would sell a book with either of those elements.

Sorry I can't help much.

I'll skip right to the point with a vague question:

Is it okay to stick werewolves/vampires/etc in blatantly LDS fiction?

depends what you do with it :P

I can't see anything specifically wrong, unless you are going to try to pass it off as actual history.

Werewolves? Vampires? Fiction?

There's unicorns in the Bible. And Cumoms in the Book of Mormon. And don't forget Cureloms (a mix between Cumoms and Curelasses). In the Bible there's a red-hairy man and in LDS tradition there's a black-hairy man. Talking donkeys (no ogres), four-faced beasts, sea serpents, dragons, giants; water to wine, never-ending oil, endless bread basket; wheel-within-wheel transport, double-needle compass (who knows what that second needle is for), see-all glasses, healing hems, healing snake-sticks; I'll stop now.

Are you concerned that it'll be boring? or blasphemous because the events and beings aren't attributed to God?