7 Years of Lean - Are We In Them Now?

lds2

I don't think that were quite there yet.. but if things keep heading in the direction they are, it will be soon.

I hope we have a lot more time...but everyday there is the bad news coming from the European/Middle East nations and I wonder. Wasn't it Belgium that went belly up and caused the bank runs? Now it is country after country, bank after bank needing bailouts, being downgraded and needing loans it seems that it would be impossible for them all to go on too much longer...I guess we will see.

Luke 6:46-49

46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

The Church cannot be expected to provide for every one of its millions of members in case of public or personal disaster. It is therefore necessary that each home and family do what they can to assume the responsibility for their own hour of need. --James Faust

The whole talk: LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Responsibility for Welfare Rests with Me and My Family

The flip-side of having a neurological capacity for Free Agency is that the rest of the universe gets to operate with quantum disorder. Therefore look for patterns. When it was said that the way to tell a true prophet from a false one was by seeing which one's predictions came true, that wasn't as retroactively self-validating as it sounds. It was meant to say that that prophet could see the patterns.

On a personal level, if I knew enough farmers, I'd be putting in five years worth, plus storing coal and wood and tools to be able to build things to trade back to the farmer.

• 1 month later...

I tend to agree with the fact that it will get a lot worse before Christ comes to AOA. I studied those quotes by Hinckley in 1998, 2001 and I think the next was in 2005. It appeared the first one was a warning or heads up, the second was ok, it has begun and the third one was the next warning of the next phase which seemed to begin in 2008.

I agree, I think the "economic" storm seen started in 2008 too, and three years into it I have to wonder if we have another 4 years. Several years before President Hinckley said that a GA came to our stake and said that they new a "storm" was headed our way but just didn't know what it was...then President Hinckley told of an economic storm. (This was told to the SP at the time who shared it with the members of our stake.)

BTW "Preparing Every Needful Thing" is a commandment from Heavenly Father and this is the time of year when we can really help others become a little more "prepared" through our gifts.

The way things are going in the United States we are heading for more economic problems. Unless Congress decides to only spend what they are taking in with taxes. There will be inflation in the future. I am hoping that inflation doesn't go any higher than 30 percent per year.

• 3 months later...

Yes, every morning I am grateful for food to eat and a warm shower and the relative peace and safety that my family enjoys so we can be busy doing many "good" things. Especially that my son's can be busy on missions and schooling rather than the wars other generations have had to deal with...some throughout their entire lives.

Edited by lds2

It doesn't take a prophet to understand the business cycle or know what just as we have gone through regular recessions in the past, so will we in the future.

Not many economist new or hinted to a appending economic crash. President Hinkley, the prophet recieved revelation or the prompting of the spirit to warn us. When we hit the recession alot of people were suprised, so much for knowing when a recession will hit.

The way things are going in the United States we are heading for more economic problems. Unless Congress decides to only spend what they are taking in with taxes. There will be inflation in the future. I am hoping that inflation doesn't go any higher than 30 percent per year.

Right now stocks are up at their highest. Guess what? Sell them, sell whatever you got. They wont stay high for long. Also get food storage before when it finally implodes you have something. Inflation will sky rocket.

Right now stocks are up at their highest. Guess what? Sell them, sell whatever you got. They wont stay high for long. Also get food storage before when it finally implodes you have something. Inflation will sky rocket.

Nox? You do realize that in times of plenty, some stocks will go up while in times of lean other stocks will go up, right?

Or would you have said Gold wouldn't have been a good investment 4 years ago?

Also, what about stocks that pay dividends that are based on basics like electricity, food production or the like? Do you feel that in the future we won't be eating? Or that we'll go back to a medieval lifestyle?

Saying 'Sell all your stocks' doesn't make you seem prescient. It simply makes you seem like you don't understand stocks. My investment strategy is in conservative(Not investment) banking companies, power generation, oil companies and consumption-based goods in companies that have policies to share out dividends.

I can expect a dividend return of 5-7% depending on the year, adjusted for inflation as the worth of a stock tends to keep pace with inflation.

Are you suggesting it would be a good strategy for people with vested interests in the things that will continue to be used in a great recession to pull their funds from those things?

What is the wisest course for your money is hard to say without a crystal ball. So I guess there is something to be said for diversity, e.g., money, stocks, precious metals, barter goods, food storage, tools to be able to be a producer when things get tough, etc.

My concern is more for the dollar itself...if it "dies" as some say is the plan of some really bad guys in the future, then I would imagine it would take the stock market with it and so I do believe that it is going down...how fast that will happen I can't say, but I beleive it will happen...eventually. Although there will still be money created, it just will be called something else and controlled probably more globally than right now.

So while I can't say if an EMP or war might take us back to third world type living, I believe the best investments are those where you are following the prophets...you know tithing, fast offerings, food storage, financial reserve, etc.

Edited by lds2

• 3 months later...

Things will get much more wilder. I dont like to spread fear, but I can feel it. Something unusual about the years ahead. We are not out of this hell of a hole yet.

So far so good, but I feel the same way. This amazing run of prosperity lasting for most for generations must surely come to an end at some point. I don't believe that they can keep all the dishes spinning in the air for another generation or two. I believe it is the baby boomers and younger that have been living a ponzi scheme for a while now that will experience the eventual crash. I hope all my friends are prepared before that time.

The American dollar will become worthless eventually if spending is not reigned in under control. A stack of one trillion dollars is a little over 600 miles long. Can you imagine driving past 600 miles of tightly stacked $100 dollar bills?

We now have over 9,500 miles of debt in the United States if it were stacked in $100 bills. Sacrifices need to be made and this debt needs to start being paid off. Sadly this and the next generation are going to have to pay the price for what we have allowed our Congress to do to us. But it won't happen until we get a President and Congress that want to do it. We need to demand it of our Representatives that we send to Washington. We also need to realize that we cannot expect handouts from the U.S. Federal Government and that we are going to have to sacrifice if we do not want the dollar to become worth a cent.

If you count starting in 1998 this year is the last year of the "famine" years. Things didn't get bad for them until midway through the famine years...or around 2008 for us. Yep we saw things start to go south about that time.

Isn't it interesting to see a headline today...

"The United States Department of Agriculture has declared natural disaster areas in more than 1,000 counties and 26 drought-stricken states, making it the largest natural disaster in America ever." (Yahoo News)

• 2 months later...

Federal scientists say this July was the hottest ever recorded in the United States as a whole…

The NEAA has said that the stretch from August 2011 through July of 2012 was the warmest 12-month period the U.S. has ever known.

"The current year is out and beyond those Dust Bowl years. We're rivaling and beating them consistently from month to month."

UN agency: Global food prices up due to US drought

The drought monitor this week was still very sobering...

Edited by lds2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you're all talking from an American viewpoint.

In Australia we have had 20+ years of GROWTH, we have not gone into recession and we have one of the largest (per-capita) pool of savings of any nation.

We're a nation of 23 million people, yet we have $1.5 trillion in retirement savings.

We also have one of the lowest government debt burdens of any developed nation, it sits at around 9% of GDP. Our tax rates are pretty low as well, even with things like universal medicare.

Not feeling this 7 years of lean here... I feel the reason why the United States is feeling it is due to the mismanagement of your economy, and you cant blame that on the current administration, because it has been systemic for DECADES!

General Government Debt (2010):

Posted Image

It all comes down to having balanced policies, sensible regulation and not spending beyond your means, be it your own personal means or the government.

Before people come in with illogical mathematical arguments such as "Australia has a smaller population", I will ask that you look at things on a per-capita basis (per-person). Yes, Australia has a lower population, which also means we don't need as many services as the United States. But the United States has a much larger population, and should therefore have a larger pool of income as well as tax revenue to fund those additional services and should be able to run them cheaper (economies of scale).

I am at a loss as to why the United States government is in the debt that it is, considering that the tax rates are comparable to those here in Australia. Obviously over the last few decades things have been run inefficiently.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

• 6 years later...

FED-Assets-Apr-2019.png?ssl=1

Ahh, saw this chart in the news today, and had to go search our old threads to remember what we were saying about it.   Good old 2008-2011.  People were getting ready to fall off the end of the world.  Just to name a few, from just this thread:

On 9/7/2011 at 11:36 AM, AGStacker said:

You'll see Snow. Our debt is unsustainable. Mathematically we are done for. When the Fed buys up US bonds, haha, the end for the empire is near. They already had QE2 and QE3 will most likely be announced, indirectly?, this September at the FOMC meeting. No country can just print money without severely damaging the currency. Since the USD is the reserve currency and most currencies are pegged to it, their fate will be the same as ours.

On 9/7/2011 at 9:05 PM, skalenfehl said:

There well may come the time very soon when gold, even silver or any money will be worthless. The church will become the light and beacon of all who seek to be fed when money won't buy food. I agree that investing in metals is fine for now, but convert that money over to food storage and necessities.

All this reminiscing is a bit of a two-edged sword, because I was wrong about something: 

On 9/21/2011 at 10:08 AM, NeuroTypical said:

There's some sort of urban myth out there - very pervasive and deep in some circles - that the church owns a gazillion silos full of grain, and massive stockpiles of food that will be used to feed people in widespread or longterm disasters. The church has no such preparations and no such stockpiles and no such plans. We've got canneries to help members store food. The church's efforts on disaster preparadness is totally directed at helping individual families become prepared.

Turns out that while my overall point was good - the church isn't preparing to feed us all - the church does indeed own a startlingly large (to some) amount of cattle, orchards, agricultural land, etc.  Mainly as a hedge against global inflation and as a way to aid in self-sufficiency efforts:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-ranch-balances-agriculture-conservation-central-florida

Now time to wander off into the sunset singing "memories..."