Aviation Merit Badge

Has anyone done the Aviation Merit Badge?

I am a new member (Baptised last week) and the members of the Church found out that I am a flight instructor and have asked if I would be interested in helping with the Aviation Merit Badge for the Boy Scouts. I have looked up the requirements and I understand why most do not do this one.... I do have questions, so if you have done it please reply...

If I remember correctly, the only reason I got mine as a Boy Scout (pre-9/11, mind you) is because I was in a military ward populated mainly by airmen, some of them pilots and crew members (my dad was the latter). The military loves showing off to civilians and family members, so access probably wasn't that hard to get. The civilian side of the industry may not be so accommodating, but you may be able to get the access you need if you know the right people and ask nicely.

If I remember correctly, the most challenging part of the merit badge is getting the boys to take a flight (they don't fly the plane). The rest of it is classroom work. As long as you have access to a plane and a pilot, I think it would be a matter of three nights* and a flight. At least I think that's what my troop does for this merit badge.

The three nights are weekday workshops with the boys. The three nights get spread out over about 6 -8 weeks to allow them time to do their assignments in the meantime. Yes, merit badges often do require homework.

OK, here are my questions..

For the Flight Part (if they chose to do this), is there a minimum amount of flight time that needs to be done, or can it be a quick 30 minute flight to a point and back? I have connections in the Young Eagles program which pilots donate time in their airplanes for those under the age of 18, but the flights are usually 15-30 minutes in duration (depending on if the child gets sick)...

For the Gas/Electric Motor Model, how extensive does the building need to be? There are models that literally you put the wings and motor on and it is ready... Or you can do the wood work to literally build the model form raw materials.. And every level in between...

The rest I can do over the series of a few weeks as I am a Flight Instructor and well... I teach it on a daily basis already...

Any help/advice is welcome...

For the Flight Part (if they chose to do this), is there a minimum amount of flight time that needs to be done, or can it be a quick 30 minute flight to a point and back? I have connections in the Young Eagles program which pilots donate time in their airplanes for those under the age of 18, but the flights are usually 15-30 minutes in duration (depending on if the child gets sick)...

I assume you are referring to Requirement 2A, which says: Take a flight in an aircraft, with your parent's permission. Record the date, place, type of aircraft, and duration of flight, and report on your impressions of the flight.

That's all it says. No minimum required. And believe me, when minimums/maximums are required, the merit badge requirement specifically mention it.

For the Gas/Electric Motor Model, how extensive does the building need to be? There are models that literally you put the wings and motor on and it is ready... Or you can do the wood work to literally build the model form raw materials.. And every level in between...

I'm assuming Requirement 3A, which says a. Build and fly a fuel-driven or battery powered electric model airplane. Describe safety rules for building and flying model airplanes Tell safety rules for use of glue, paint, dope, plastics, fuel, and battery pack.

Once again, that's all it says. However, it does mention specific ingredients. I recommend that you as a counselor take a more complex route than slapping wings and a motor on something.