Ye are the light of the world

ThatLDSKiD

It is an analogy.

A great quote on this is as follows:

Franklin D. Richards

“Our light should not be hid under the bed or under a bushel, but it ought to be lit up here in these mountains, and it has got to shine so that this whole nation shall see it. And all nations must see and have a chance of accepting or rejecting the Gospel. We must fraternize with them, as far as is right and proper, so that we may show them the excellency there is in the knowledge of God…

“Now, then, we ought to understand that our labors and our conduct individually and collectively are open before the world, our conduct and attitude as a people before the nation, should be according to the dignity of our position, that the nations of the earth may see and know we are true to our God, to our professions of faith, and that we are honestly pushing forward the kingdom of God. This should be the spirit of the whole people. We should be ready to make any sacrifice, and discharge every obligation necessary for the advancement of His kingdom.” (Collected Discourses, Vol.1, Franklin D. Richards, April 8, 1888)

3 Nephi 18:24

24 Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up—that which ye have seen me do. Behold ye see that I have prayed unto the Father, and ye all have witnessed.

Hidden

Here is another scripture...

3 Ne 18:24 Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up—that which ye have seen me do. Behold ye see that I have prayed unto the Father, and ye all have witnessed.

I like the clerification that Christ is the light we should hold up.

How do I explain this scripture, "Ye are the light of the world. A city set upon a hill cannot be hid."

I'm trying to explain it to my friend by summarizing its meaning and how to apply it in our lives. Are there also any other scriptures besides Matthew: 5: 14 that pertain to this one?

Thanks

This discussion goes where many don't like to take it (many outside the Church, that is). He is comparing our light to "good works." Look at the whole analogy:

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Of course, we don't do good works so that we can boast, but to glorify God. But, this is the explantion.

He also makes this same comparison to salt. If salt looses it's savor, it's no longer salt. If we lose our good works we are no longer His.

We are judged by our works.

Works do not earn eternal life, but works are the evidence of our faith in Christ and the eternal life He offers. Works are how we accept Him and how we become worthy to abide in His presence.

People often discuss whether we are saved by faith (grace) or works. I ask why can't it be both?

Farming is a beautiful analogy. God provides the seed. The seed is compared to the word in the scriptures, and Christ is called the Word. The seed is the driver; it's what makes all effort (or faith) meaningful.

A farmer will prepare the soil, till the soil, plow, plant the seeds, then cover and nurture. If he continues to care for the seeds and the plants that will come, eventually he will be able to harvest, or his efforts will yield fruit (or grain or whatever).

Let's look at the same scenario twice, with a different change to each scenario.

First, let's remove the seeds. The farmer works very hard and does all that he can, but he did not use seeds. His work is vain and he will yield no fruit.

Second, let's remove the work. The farmer is given seeds but never works his soil, never tills, plows, or plants the seed. The farmer cannot expect to yield a crop. The seeds become worthless to that man if he does not put them to their intended use.

So, I say, why can't it be both? Both are required to save a man. God will not save a man if he is unwilling to be saved. The Gospel becomes worthless to those who refuse to do anything with it.

How do I explain this scripture, "Ye are the light of the world. A city set upon a hill cannot be hid."

I'm trying to explain it to my friend by summarizing its meaning and how to apply it in our lives. Are there also any other scriptures besides Matthew: 5: 14 that pertain to this one?

Thanks

another rendering would be along the lines of "Be the example of christ that others can see"