Is BYU Football really that bad?

tubaloth

Lets see how this go.

1. I think Jake Heap's Ego probably did need to come down. Maybe this is the only way he can be a good quarterback. It does seem like he struggles a little bit from throwing a couple of long passes and then switch to a short pass.

2. I think we see how the Offense and Defensive lines, are good when they are this big, but we have seen they struggle to keep up the full game. I don't know how you fix a problem except to rotate people in more offten.

3. It does add some with Brandom Doman. I think his play calling was pretty good for the most part in the U of U game. But when you have a couple of 3 plays and need to punt it doesn't help your Defensive lines.

4. To me it almost seemed like U of U was a little better prepared. Now I guess I do expect BYU to do this in the third game of the season. But I don't expect them to do this on your first home game and against your rival.

Nobody expected a team to fumble the ball that many times. And most of those turn overs, the other team wasn't even trying to go for the ball.

BYU is terrible and they deserve what is happening to them. First off, they bolt the Mountain West and act like jealous pubescents related to the University of Utah departure to the PAC 12. They seemed quite focused on money and status -- talk about pride.

They then create a pretty easy schedule and talk like they they are some type of powerhouse team. They beat Ole Miss -- probable the last place team of the SEC -- by one point. They lose to a not very good Texas team and get completely destroyed by the Utes.

They were not a very good team and I hope the athletic department stops there fantasy, prideful, and dysfunctional behavior in thining they are one of the better football teams in the nation -- which puts a lot of pressure on the players. Sadly, BYU seems more focus on status and money and I hope they return to their roots and foundation -- BYU should be first and foremost a University focused on academics and Christ-like service.

BYU is terrible and they deserve what is happening to them.

Wow. Someone is just full of teenage angst. How cute.

First off, they bolt the Mountain West and act like jealous pubescents related to the University of Utah departure to the PAC 12.

Let me see if I understand you correctly:

Utah leaving MWC to get a better contract and more exposure by joining the PAC-10 = GOOD.

BYU leaving MWC to get a better contract and more exposure by going independent = BAD.

Wow. That's amazingly convincing. How could I have missed it?

They seemed quite focused on money and status -- talk about pride.

Okay, let's talk about pride. Which part was prideful? The part where they talked about how they were owned by the Church and needed to further its mission? Or the part where they talked about how the issue was not money, but exposure, which they had been promised by the MWC but which was not forthcoming?

They then create a pretty easy schedule

What did you expect? They created a much better schedule for 2011 and 2012 than practically anyone dreamed they could cobble together.

and talk like they they are some type of powerhouse team.

What did they say that was false? They claimed that:

• They were one of the winningest teams in I-A college football over the last decade.
  • They had won 10 or more games the previous three (four?) years.
  • They had a nationwide following that wanted to see them play.
  • They generally competed well against good OOC teams.

Which of these was false or misleading?

They beat Ole Miss -- probable the last place team of the SEC -- by one point. They lose to a not very good Texas team and get completely destroyed by the Utes.

True, true, and true. So how does this prove they "deserve" their misery?

They were not a very good team

No, not so far. Neither is Notre Dame. Neither is Texas. Neither is Washington. How does that establish your thesis statement?

and I hope the athletic department stops there fantasy, prideful, and dysfunctional behavior

You have yet to establish that the athletic department is any of these things.

in thining they are one of the better football teams in the nation

Is this not true, statistically speaking? Hasn't BYU been a consistently top football team for some time now? Not last year, certainly, and not this year so far, but in what way is this "false" or "prideful"?

BYU should be first and foremost a University focused on academics and Christ-like service.

And you're showing them the way, one post at a time. Go get 'em, dash!

BYU is terrible and they deserve what is happening to them. First off, they bolt the Mountain West and act like jealous pubescents related to the University of Utah departure to the PAC 12. They seemed quite focused on money and status -- talk about pride.

They then create a pretty easy schedule and talk like they they are some type of powerhouse team. They beat Ole Miss -- probable the last place team of the SEC -- by one point. They lose to a not very good Texas team and get completely destroyed by the Utes.

They were not a very good team and I hope the athletic department stops there fantasy, prideful, and dysfunctional behavior in thining they are one of the better football teams in the nation -- which puts a lot of pressure on the players. Sadly, BYU seems more focus on status and money and I hope they return to their roots and foundation -- BYU should be first and foremost a University focused on academics and Christ-like service.

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel. Did they deny you entrance? Is that what this is all about? :)

Edited by pam

BYU should be first and foremost a University focused on academics and Christ-like service.

Dash, I think they heard you. The players concentrated on their studies rather than preparing for the game. So, as an act of service, they allowed the Utes to score 54 points and restricted themselves to only scoring 10. Very, very charitable of BYU.

Three fumbles in all of last year. I can't count how many there were on Saturday. Many mistakes by the offense.

As for BYU being centered on education and service first, I am just guessing I don't have facts, but I would guess that BYU is near the top on graduating athletes with real job prospects versus just grades and unable to function. Just guessing.

Ben Raines

• 2 weeks later...

No. But it is nice to go to work and not have to hear Utah fans bragging about how well they did against the dregs of the PAC10+2.

John:

Your comments at the micro level exemplify my frustration at the macro level.

I was commenting on how BYU was talking big about being an independent powerhouse in football and have demonstrated on the football field that they are at the same level of a Utah State of Central Florida football team. Rather than stay focused on the poor play of BYU, your comments go right away to the Utah football team that lost to two PAC 12 teams. In a micro level, your comments exemplify my frustration with BYU football from a macro level perspective. Utah gets invited to the PAC 12 and then you have BYU football administrators (not the General Authorities) acting jealous and make a knee-jerk decision to try to be better than Utah by claiming independence and talking big about being a national powerhouse like Notre Dame (and Notre Dame is not a national powerhouse anymore – they were in the 1980 but are not even close now).

Further, and as a BYU fan that is losing interest with each passing day, I think their ESPN game on Friday against USU was a real embarrassment from a gospel principle perspective. The dance squad have sleeveless tops - -which does against the Standards of Youth pamphlet and teachings about modesty. Second, their running back that fumbled – Deluge (sp?) – is taught on TV fitting his head with his own helmet while swearing. The fans are booing while a USU player is injured on the field. There are many BYU fans suggesting that the football independence will help with missionary efforts by highlighting the team. Swearing, sleeveless female, fans booing during an injury – do not equate to a team in the world but not of the world. They are a real embarrassment. And their football team does not look very good at all – despite repeated claims that their independence will underscore that they are a national powerhouse, BYU is a middle of the row football team, good enough to beat teams like Wyoming and to hand with the poorer PAC 12 teams, but not a national powerhouse. . I’m sure they will look impressive against New Mexico State later this season.

As a BYU fan, I am really turned off by the football team as they try to become more and more worldly and act like a jealous pubescent after Utah’s invitation to the PAC 12. I wish BYU (and Utah) would have stayed in the Mountain West that could have resisted the BCS and outlined that they are good football teams outside of the BCS troubling framework. Although I wish they would not have, I can understand Utah’s jump to the PAC 12 – they are a worldly school based on egos and status and I hope the ned up last in the PAC 12. But BYU should behavior better and their actions seem worse because they claim to embrace gospel habits and nothing aligns to gospel habits related to their football team and what I have witnessed on national TV. The talk big about being a national powerhouse but reality outlines they are an average football team, at best.

Start Heaps and have Riley in when they are in the red zone=BYU becomes better. Heaps the DRIVER and

Nelson the FINISHER! Plus you will confuse the opposing team's defense. They are not a bad team, a bit confused at times and Doman needs more confidence. I think when Doman loses confidence, it rubs off on Heaps. Nelson doesn't let that get in his head.

Dash:

Please don't claim to be a BYU fan anymore. Your derisive comments about BYU whenever the subject comes up show quite the opposite. Your posting history of castigating BYU at every turn while also showing complete ignorance of the facts and without even attempting to understand their position shows how false your claims to being a fan are. Your admission of being a Utah fan as well yet refuse to hold them to the same standards that you hold BYU to tell a lot about where your true allegiance lies. You might be a casual observer who catches the scores and highlights on the nightly newscast and listens to his Yewt coworkers who deride anything BYU, but that doesn't make you a fan. Your sense of self-righteousness aside, a true fan would know how to spell the name of their team's star senior running back within a couple of letters. If you need a link to the full team roster, PM me.

While BYU's current football team is not great, the program as a whole has done very well for itself. They have won 10 or more games 4 out of the last 5 years and have had losing seasons only 6 times since 1970. I'd call that pretty good in the grand scheme of things, but you go ahead and spin it as negatively as you can, okay? I'd call that pretty good myself. Sure, you can say that was against poor teams of the WAC and MWC, but those are the exact same teams that you are mad about BYU leaving the MWC to become independent. So which is it, are you upset about their record against crappy teams in their conference, or the fact that they left that crappy conference?

The dance squad have sleeveless tops - -which does against the Standards of Youth pamphlet and teachings about modesty.

Perhaps then we need to change the women's basketball uniforms to put sleeves on them. Perhaps we need to make sure that all the ballet costumes from the BYU ballet program has sleeves. There are some activities that sleeveless is appropriate.

When you compare BYU cheerleaders to cheerleaders from other universities who wear some of the skimpiest uniforms seen..I'm proud that BYU cheerleaders maintain modesty in their uniforms.

Perhaps then we need to change the women's basketball uniforms to put sleeves on them. Perhaps we need to make sure that all the ballet costumes from the BYU ballet program has sleeves. There are some activities that sleeveless is appropriate.

When you compare BYU cheerleaders to cheerleaders from other universities who wear some of the skimpiest uniforms seen..I'm proud that BYU cheerleaders maintain modesty in their uniforms.

Heck, just plain basketball period. The men's jerseys are sleeveless as well.

Edited by Dravin