Question about E-Readers

LeKook

I would say Maybe on the Kindle or the Nook. I guess there is still a war going on on which format is the best.

There is just an e-book format that is really just text. (no real features). A lot of free books are in this format. Any reader can read these.

There is Kindle format. I do like this format the best, but everything comes through amazon. I do know amazon does have a pretty good selection of Kindle LDS books.

The Nook I do not know how many LDS books there are. But I can say the app was not very well done compared to the Kindle app. The Nook app on my android tablet was just confusing and some what dumb in how it organized things.

Now I guess Deseret book has its own app for Apple. (which pretty much everything runs on).

I would suggest looking into a tablet (be it either an Apple or Android device).

Apple probably does have a bigger selection.

Android does have Google books. This is really different then other books because its more of a scanned version of some old book. I have found like old James E Talmage books in this format. I don't know if Google books has an app for iOS/Apple.

Also Amazon, probably this week is going to unveil there own (Android) tablet to replace the kindle e-readers they sell. It sounds like it probably well be a pretty good tablet and Amazon might sell it at a lost to get enough people buying it.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I have found the ebooks can be more money than the cost of a used hard or paperback on Amazon even after shipping -- particularly books that have been around for a while. However, I haven't checked Church publications, but I suspect they would be similar, particularly older publications.

Where you really win is in downloading the free eBooks from the Guttenberg Project or Amazon or the book sellers. There's enough there to keep your reading for years, and they are enduring classics. If you want Church stuff, I wouldn't rule out some of the Church libraries either for a cheap read, altough I doubt if you'll get the latest stuff or much selection.

I will probably be getting a Kindle this Christmas. Waiting until then to see what new things come up, and possibly cheaper prices. I can afford a Kindle, 500 bucks is a little steep for a book reader.

Kindle has decent web access as far as I can tell, and are moving into libraries for book lending. I have Gospel Library on my XP computer at home, so can save those to text, convert them to PDF, and then read them easily on the Kindle.

You may want to check out the Web Gospel Link program that Deseret Books now has: 30 days free trial, and then it is like $5 a month. You could access it via a Kindle with web access, and read thousands of LDS books they have available there.

I agree, $500 is a bit much just to tote books around, LOL!!!! Could you post the link to the Web Gospel, I can't seem to locate it?

I use online libraries a lot. My issue is portability (need something small I can carry around) and storage. I just don't have room for books in my tiny apartment, and physical books are actually starting to appear in piles all over here. I'm starting to trip over the piles. On average I read 3 books a week, so you can see how book storage might get to be a problem. Also, none of the local libraries or inter-library loan sources locally carry the books I'd like to read. Weird, huh?

My landlord is LDS also and I've been borrowing from her physical library, but she's running out of stuff to loan me, LOL!!!

Thanks for the suggestions... hope I haven't overlooked any replies here. :)