3rd assistant

LDS4ME

Hello, I am from southern California. This is my first post. My calling is 2nd counselor in our Bishopric.

I have a question that I can't find an answer to in either of the church's handbooks.

Can a High Priest group leader call a third assistant? Can the stake give permission for the secretary to do PPI's?

Thanks!

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I asked to do this once, and got tutored in the three spires of presidency on the towers of the Salt Lake Temple -- representing the fact that a "presidency" is a troika made up of a president and two counselors (I realize this is a bit different in the High Priest Group where the SP is the president and the Ward HPGL is not a president, but a leader).

I'm not sure if that is the symbolism the spires were designed for, but that was the answer I got from the High Councilor who took my request for a third Assistant to the Stake Presidency.

They DID say you can have as many assistant secretaries as you want, however. So, if you need more help, call a secretary and then if that is insufficient, call a bunch of assistant secretaries to help. I don't think anyone will question WHAT you have those assistant secretaries doing, even if they do things normally done by Assistants in the High Priest Group.

Thanks for both of your replies. Not long ago we called an new HPGL. In my opinion an exceptional individual both spiritually and temporally. He called an ex-HP assistant to the secretaries position and then assigned him group members to oversee and that included doing PPI's. I truly wish there was something in writing on both of these items, but alas not to be found. Next stop SP.

Thanks again!

Guest mormonmusic

Thanks for both of your replies. Not long ago we called an new HPGL. In my opinion an exceptional individual both spiritually and temporally. He called an ex-HP assistant to the secretaries position and then assigned him group members to oversee and that included doing PPI's. I truly wish there was something in writing on both of these items, but alas not to be found. Next stop SP.

Thanks again!

LDS4M -- I would encourage you to use your own inspiration in each situation when there are not written guidelines and there is room in your own circle of influence to make these decisions. We can be "over-regulated" enough in life, and sometimes even at Church -- I wouldn't encourage it. In the absence of written guidelines, I would suggest using prayer and inspiration first and seeing if you can come to a resolution you feel good about.

I had secretaries giving PPI's and it worked fine. The success of the PPI was dependent more on their commitmetn and personality than their position. If you are really concerned about them doing a PPI, then have them to a Home Teaching Stewardship Interview -- where all they talk about is home teaching. I personally don't like the idea, as loving and caring about the whole person is best, and often the means to get results in home teaching as a bi-product -- in some brethren.

I agree about what you said regarding personnel inspiration when there are no written guidelines. I have trusted in just that in the past and it has usually turned out positive. In this case it will ultimately be the Bishop's call, he has ask for my input and I want to do my best in providing him with the best advise.

Thanks again.

With the stake president's permission, the high priest group leader could call a third assistant. However, normally they will just have you call secretaries and "use" them as assistants. For bishoprics, the exec secretary and ward clerk are often seen as additional counselors. I know my stake president views his exec secretary and stake clerk as assistant counselors, as well, and asks their guidance on many things in high council meetings and other meetings (I'm on the high council, so I see this frequently).

The high priest group leader can assign anyone in his group to do PPIs. Normally, It does not have to be approved by the stake president. Stake presidents can give directions on how it should be done, however. PPIs are interviews to see how families are doing, and how well home teaching is going. These are not worthiness interviews, which are reserved for the bishop and stake president.

Edited by rameumptom

• 2 weeks later...

A person who needs to be commanded in all things is a slothful and unwise servant. I love when I read home teaching comments on the message board and people point out the relief society has certain practices, but elders or high priests are not allowed to do the same sort of things because it doesn't specifically give a privilege to do it that way in the book. BUT, it doesn't say you can't, either.

What ever happened to fasting and mighty prayer in an effort to seek inspiration and revelation? Unless the handbook specifically points out NOT to do a certain practice, have we really gotten this far away from the promptings of the Spirit?