My Divorce is finalized this friday, Why do I need to wait to end the temple sealing?

So we had a really rocky marriage. I played my part but my ex was worse since he cheated on my three times with a woman and now wants a divorce so he can be with his current fling. I am so sad I kept trying to make the marriage work and didn't end it even though I had personal revelation to do so. We have kids I was trying because of that and because it is a temple marriage. So the whole things is repulsive to me. I want it all to be over with. I want to end my temple sealing with him but was told it is better to wait until you are going to get sealed to someone else. I want to know why? Isn't the sealing over with anyway cause we are divorced and he slept with another person? I feel like he wins if I am still sealed to him. I know know if that make sense it is how I feel.

Edited by rochphoto

I want to end my temple sealing with him but was told it is better to wait until you are going to get sealed to someone else. I want to know why? Isn't the sealing over with anyway cause we are divorced and he slept with another person? I feel like he wins if I am still sealed to him. I know know if that make sense it is how I feel.

Because your temple covenant is between you and God. You made covenants with God, not with your husband. You are protected by those covenants for as long as you live up to them. Dissolving the sealing releases you from the covenant.

If you are concerned about living eternally with a man who defiled your marriage, don't. There is no sealing where there is no integrity to the covenant.

From what I understand, staying sealed is merely a strong recommendation. I know of a few cases where the woman insisted on the sealing cancellation without any marital prospects.

I have heard the same, only I wouldn't reccomend it. I found comfort in knowing that if I didn't get married after my divorce, that he was not living the gospel and wasn't going to make it to the CK.

We need those covenants and promises, tho, ourselves to make it. I think of them as my blessings, no longer "ours."

It was hard for me to get to that point as I really wanted it all overwith, too. Now I am waiting, and waiting for a new sealing with my current husband, to be apporved. We are expecing a baby and I want to be sealed to him before it is born. Our two year annivsary is coming up in less than two weeks and we are not even close. (we are worthy, it just takes time.) I just know that somehow thi all work out and Heavenly Father won't make us be with someone we don't want to be with.

Good luck!!

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. I to am in the divorce process as my wife did not want to reconcile after problems on both sides of our marriage. It breaks my heart for my four children and I feel the same sadness for your marriage. Keep your faith in the Lord and his teachings. Prayer, church, family, and friends has been my only peace.

So we had a really rocky marriage. I played my part but my ex was worse since he cheated on my three times with a woman and now wants a divorce so he can be with his current fling. I am so sad I kept trying to make the marriage work and didn't end it even though I had personal revelation to do so. We have kids I was trying because of that and because it is a temple marriage. So the whole things is repulsive to me. I want it all to be over with. I want to end my temple sealing with him but was told it is better to wait until you are going to get sealed to someone else. I want to know why? Isn't the sealing over with anyway cause we are divorced and he slept with another person? I feel like he wins if I am still sealed to him. I know know if that make sense it is how I feel.

Condolences on the end of your marriage, but at the same time, congratulations (as weird as it sounds). You have the courage to step out of a bad situation with the thought of your own happiness as well as your children's welfare. This is no small feat.

As for your sealing, don't let it get under your skin. The adversary will use it to make you miserable. Just know that it will all be taken care of. First, take care of the immediate, finish the divorce and get you and your kids settled as best you can. This, in and of itself, will be a huge chore and stress. You already have a ton of stuff on your plate. Then after a few months, or even a year, deal with the sealing.

Keep a reasonable perspective and you'll pull though this without too many scars.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. I to am in the divorce process as my wife did not want to reconcile after problems on both sides of our marriage. It breaks my heart for my four children and I feel the same sadness for your marriage. Keep your faith in the Lord and his teachings. Prayer, church, family, and friends has been my only peace.

My heart goes out to you and who ever is in this situation. I am sad for all the kids mixed up with these types of situations. My kids seem to do well so far. Tomorrow is the day when it becomes Final. I am some how very sad by it. Part of me doesn't want it to end sounds dumb I know; I keep telling myself not to feel that way. Look at all the things why this needs to end. I just don't want to be single I guess. Not sure. So confused.

• 4 months later...

I am recently contemplating on ending my marriage of 4 years because it's unconsummated. I worry about starting over again... I worry about the pain... I am dying to have a kids of my own since we got married... I remain faithful to the covenants I made with our Heavenly Father... My remaining active in the Church gave me peace and strength to bear the pain.... I just don't know for how long... When do I just let it go?

I have been on my knees... I felt comforted in letting it go.... But I am just plain scared of starting all over again and of what our friends are going to say, etc. yesterday after I finished praying, I opened my iPad and then when I clicked on my library, this quote came in plain view: "A challenge for all of us is not to look sideways to see how others are viewing our lives but to look up to see how Heavenly Father sees us." (jan 2012 Ensign 'Look Up ') I have had plenty of inspiration but I Let fear in...

Pain and sorrow are part of life, this much is obvious to anyone. What keeps getting forgotten is that neither need to be a permanent part of life. Having been divorced myself, I know the suffering that comes from a marriage that didn't work. It took me over a year to come to grips with the reality of it. However, I turned a corner and began to see the joys of life again here and there. Now I still have regrets, but the guilt and sorrow have passed.

Christ has suffered whatever sorrow we go through. He did so precisely so he could help us get through it. Nobody understands our pain better than he, and there is nobody better to seek for help.

"Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The temple sealing is a covenant between spouses and God. Whenever one spouse breaks that covenant, they lose their promised blessings, however the other spouse (so long as they remain faithful to the covenant) retain their blessings.

The temple sealing is not cancelled until another prospect of marriage begins exactly for this fact. That way the faithful spouse and any children are constantly covered by the covenant. It may seem frustrating, but it really is in our best interests to maintain our covenants in faith so long as we can.

So we had a really rocky marriage.,.......

So the whole things is repulsive to me. I want it all to be over with. I want to end my temple sealing with him but was told it is better to wait until you are going to get sealed to someone else. I want to know why? Isn't the sealing over with anyway cause we are divorced and he slept with another person? I feel like he wins if I am still sealed to him. I know know if that make sense it is how I feel.

This is difficult to explain when one wants to end it all and move on, however i'll offer you my opinion of the 'why' after having been there myself as a divorced man.

These days you would wait until you are ready to be sealed to someone else so that the sealing blessings can continue for you as much as is possible. But yes the sealing was certainly over for him when he broke the covenants but not for you. That means, i believe, that you are still worthy and capable of entering the highest level of the celestial kingdom with the type of body that requires, ie one that can reproduce and create more life. No other level of 'saving' in any kindgom has that ability. However you are still missing the partner bit.

But consider that the resurrection will happen for us -lds members- mostly at the start of the millenium. It's there that you want to resurrect with that full body that can reproduce and can enter the highest level of exaltation, even if you are still single. This is fulfilled if your sealing part and the 'blessings' thereof remain in tact for you, and you are worthy off course. Then during the millenium you have a full 1000 years to find that special person and be sealed to him instead but to do so with a perfect flawless body.

However, I don't think that you are 'still sealed to him' (ex) you are rather still sealed or the covenant continues between you and God but he broke his bond and his part so you aren't sealed to him anymore because he broke that sealing. Sealing remember is not equivalent to marriage.

Anyways a few years ago they would allow women to request cancellations before they were ready to be sealed again but that seems to have changed, now exactly why? no one knows, we can only guess an explanation because the first presidency doesn't share with local leaders their sealing policies completely. We only get part of the story.

But still you are better of continuing the sealing between you and God because of the sealing blessings, and when you are ready to remarry, then ask for a cancelation and sealing to the other man, whomever that may be. ;)

But consider that the resurrection will happen for us -lds members- mostly at the start of the millenium. It's there that you want to resurrect with that full body that can reproduce and can enter the highest level of exaltation, even if you are still single. This is fulfilled if your sealing part and the 'blessings' thereof remain in tact for you, and you are worthy off course. Then during the millenium you have a full 1000 years to find that special person and be sealed to him instead but to do so with a perfect flawless body.

That is not my understanding. All necessary ordinances must be performed before a person is resurrected. While spirits are in paradise, many will find someone to have a celestial marriage. Then at some point before their resurrection, the sealing will be done for them.

But the bottom line is no worthy individual will be denied a celestial marriage if they have done their part.

That is not my understanding. All necessary ordinances must be performed before a person is resurrected. While spirits are in paradise, many will find someone to have a celestial marriage. Then at some point before their resurrection, the sealing will be done for them.

But the bottom line is no worthy individual will be denied a celestial marriage if they have done their part.

It's just impossible. While clearly all ordinances must be performed on earth, hence Temple work, spirits in paradise have no way of telling mortals that they found someone to enter into a celestial marriage. There is no communication line opened for that. So they can only be sealed on earth after they resurrect during the millenium.

As Jesus said clearly , there is no entering into new marriages in heaven or in the spirit world.

It's just impossible. While clearly all ordinances must be performed on earth, hence Temple work, spirits in paradise have no way of telling mortals that they found someone to enter into a celestial marriage. There is no communication line opened for that. So they can only be sealed on earth after they resurrect during the millenium.

As Jesus said clearly , there is no entering into new marriages in heaven or in the spirit world.

a) Isn't the standard answer that during the millennium, angels can convey information to mortals who are doing temple work? Even now, it isn't too uncommon to hear faith-promoting family history stories about someone who, in a dream or vision, saw a messenger instructing them to look in such-and-such a place for some vitally important family history record.

b) My recollection of Matthew is that Jesus said that there is no marriage or giving in marriage in the resurrection. I don't believe He said anything about what happens before the resurrection occurs.