On what do members of the LDS Church base their great faith?

TimP

I am not a member of the LDS Church but I ask this question in all sincerity.

Members of the LDS Church exhibit the highest level of morality, community activity, and faith of any organized religious group of which I'm aware. Your cultivation of family bonding is beyond reproach. Your involvement in community and international good works are exemplary.

My question is simply what do you base your great faith on?

I have studied and researched the LDS church for a number of years. The information I have comes from LDS documentation and from non-Mormon sources as well. I feel I can get a more direct input from members of the LDS Church themselves.

I ask my question because I personally have problems understanding the depth of your faith. As a devout practitioner of the Judeo Christian faith (I'm a follower of Christ) and am not tied to any particular denomination). I believe in and love the Lord God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength and I seek to treat my neighbor as I would be treated myself. I believe that the Holy Bible is the inerrant Word of God as it was originally delivered to man. I do believe there are translation problems caused by various translators but I do not believe the actual word of God and His plan for mankind has been altered in any way.

Back to my question. Joseph Smith translated the book of Mormon from a stack of metal plates (either gold or some yellowish metal). Apparently these plates were shown to 11 others as described in the preface to the book of Mormon. The major three witnesses were all excommunicated from the LDS Church although I understand two of them returned.

There are various accounts in various documents regarding how these witnesses saw the plates. From what I understand every one of them in one way or the other recanted their original statements as to having seen the plates physically. Each stated when questioned further they saw the plates "through the eye of faith", or in other words through a vision.

The plates were ultimately returned to the delivering angel, Moroni.

If there are no plates to verify the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and nothing but the word of a group of people who apparently saw them in a vision, how valid do you feel the existence of the plates actually is? Other, of course, than because you believe in them by faith or an inner feeling alone.

Along with that the Book of Abraham was translated from scraps of papyrus that are still in possession of the Church. Since modern Egyptologist have discounted any connection with these documents to what was translated by Joseph Smith apparently the accepted method of translation is he did it simply by the gift and power of the Holy Spirit. It seems the papyrus fragments were used as a ‘trigger’ that caused Joseph Smith to be able to write the Book of Abraham.

How do you justify your deep faith based on the statements of human beings only. There is no supernatural or physical verification at all that I see.

This has been quiet a long question with much extra information included to hopefully let you know the sincerity with which I am asking it.

I thank you deeply for bearing with my extended note. I really try to make myself as clear as possible in any of my writing. At least that's the excuse I use when I ramble on.

Sincerely looking forward to your answers.

TimP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand every one of them in one way or the other recanted their original statements as to having seen the plates physically.

These were simply misunderstandings of their words. For instance, I know that in the case of Martin Harris, later in life he was heard answering the question, "Did you still have faith that you saw the angel and the plates?"

He said something like "I no longer have faith that I saw them, I know I saw them."

Printed papers used part of his statement to claim a retraction. He was a well respected man and known to have great integrity, "except in the case of the Book of Mormon" (according to them).

However, the answer to your question is simple. All that the Book of Momron, Joseph Smith, and every other prophet since his time has taught and preached is Jesus Christ. That, Tim, is the source of our faith. Once you come to know modern scripture is real, and that God puts living prophets on the earth today, then you come to know that Jesus Christ is alive today, is real, and is active in our lives today. Everything else that you mentioned flows from this.

I could only answer your question in relation to myself. For me my faith is based upon revelation given to me personally. It is not based on the words of any mortal men women family or anything, the spirit of God has told me that Jesus Christ died that I might live eternally, that all people have the opportunity to make use of this gift. I believe that Joseph Smith was called of God and given the authority and power to translate what he translated, and that he translated it from gold plates but I also would not care what it was on or who saw them or if anyone saw them at all. My faith is not built on those things it is built on revelation from the Spirit of God. It is that spirit that leads me to live the life that I have chosen to live, no more and no less. I would hope that helps you understand at least were I am and how I what my faith is based on.

Faith does not come from any person, it does not come from a book, it does not come from historical events, etc. That is a truth for anyone with true faith. Your faith in god does not come from the bible or the testimony of others. The spirit of god testifies of truth when read or spoken. The spirit (personal revelation) is where faith resides. You have faith and believe the bible because the spirit testified of it to you, not because of the words of the ppl that translated/wrote it. Or at least I hope that is the case.

Faith based on ppl or things will quickly die. Faith based on personal revelation, the spirit of god, is the kind of faith that survives and changes the heart and ultimately actions.

Members of the LDS Church exhibit the highest level of morality, community activity, and faith of any organized religious group of which I'm aware. Your cultivation of family bonding is beyond reproach. Your involvement in community and international good works are exemplary.

I have studied and researched the LDS church for a number of years. The information I have comes from LDS documentation and from non-Mormon sources as well. I feel I can get a more direct input from members of the LDS Church themselves.

I ask my question because I personally have problems understanding the depth of your faith. As a devout practitioner of the Judeo Christian faith (I'm a follower of Christ) and am not tied to any particular denomination). I believe in and love the Lord God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength and I seek to treat my neighbor as I would be treated myself. I believe that the Holy Bible is the inerrant Word of God as it was originally delivered to man. I do believe there are translation problems caused by various translators but I do not believe the actual word of God and His plan for mankind has been altered in any way.

Back to my question. Joseph Smith translated the book of Mormon from a stack of metal plates (either gold or some yellowish metal). Apparently these plates were shown to 11 others as described in the preface to the book of Mormon. The major three witnesses were all excommunicated from the LDS Church although I understand two of them returned.

There are various accounts in various documents regarding how these witnesses saw the plates. From what I understand every one of them in one way or the other recanted their original statements as to having seen the plates physically. Each stated when questioned further they saw the plates "through the eye of faith", or in other words through a vision.

If there are no plates to verify the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and nothing but the word of a group of people who apparently saw them in a vision, how valid do you feel the existence of the plates actually is? Other, of course, than because you believe in them by faith or an inner feeling alone.

Along with that the Book of Abraham was translated from scraps of papyrus that are still in possession of the Church. Since modern Egyptologist have discounted any connection with these documents to what was translated by Joseph Smith apparently the accepted method of translation is he did it simply by the gift and power of the Holy Spirit. It seems the papyrus fragments were used as a ‘trigger’ that caused Joseph Smith to be able to write the Book of Abraham.

How do you justify your deep faith based on the statements of human beings only. There is no supernatural or physical verification at all that I see.

This has been quiet a long question with much extra information included to hopefully let you know the sincerity with which I am asking it.

I thank you deeply for bearing with my extended note. I really try to make myself as clear as possible in any of my writing. At least that's the excuse I use when I ramble on.

TimP

I've had pretty specific answers to prayers that God exists, His Son exists, that i'm important to them, that Joseph Smith is their servant, and that the Book of Mormon was brought about by them. That is the reason above all others that I am with the LDS faith, were I to recieve a similar answer from God to remove myself from them I will do so (I doubt that is going to happen), but until that time I will not remove my self from that Faith by my own volition.

I've had multiple experiences over the years that have reinforced this, but nothing quite so powerful.

I doubt there will be any physical evidence found before the coming of the lord that will plainly remove all doubt that it is from the peoples spoken of in the Book of Mormon, yet there has been many paralells, and many tantalizing things found since the time of Joseph smith that seem to substantiate various parts of the Book of Mormon, such as cultures and practices (altho not specific groups as we are yet awrare of).

As for the Papyri if you get multiple scientists, you get multiple results... it used to be they'd all say that JS was completely wrong in both the reconstruction as well as the translation... yet a couple weeks ago i saw a book where the egyptologist said that Joseph's reconstruction was correct, albeit the translation was way off.

With the papyri you have the problem of trying to translate symbolism, which changes over eras and generations- for instance if i painted a swastika what would be the first thought that came to your mind?

SO in other words the jury is still out for the book of abraham.

The answer to your initial question is simple:

Alma 32:21 "And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true."

The base or foundation of any faith in things "not seen" and "true" is the Savior-

Heleman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

How valid do you feel the existence of the plates actually is?

As you can see, in my answer to your initial question I pulled quotes from the Book of Mormon. I do not have to see the plates or rely on the testimony of someone who has or has not seen the plates. I've read the Book of Mormon myself. And the Holy Spirit has testified to me personally of it's truth.

Moroni 10:4-5 "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

I do not justify my faith "on the statements of human beings only". I have studied it out in my mind and in my heart, and I know from the very depths of my soul that it is true.

D&C 8:2 "Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart."

I feel the truth of it so deeply that nothing could bring me to deny it. I may not have seen a "vision", have no physical evidence of the plates existence, and know I cannot rely on the words of man only. I feel the truth so deeply that I can say, as Joseph Smith said about his vision (Joseph Smith History 1:25) "I know it, and I know that God knows it, and I cannot deny it, neither dare I do it; at least I know that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation."

Guest mormonmusic

I prayed and asked God if this was the Church I should join. I fasted once for three solid days without food and water until I was so weak I could barely function. Got nothing, had a number of other isolated prayers at other times after reading the Book of Mormon. Got nothing. Went into the woods and prayed like Joseph Smith for an answer -- got nothing. Left the investigation for about 6 months, and then prayed one night if I should join and got a very powerful spiritual feeling come over me. I joined the next week.

Since then, I've had many trials and challenges as I've been a member of the Church -- some of which caused me to doubt my testimony. Oftentimes, it's caused me to give up a certain amount of commitment, although I have always lived the basic commandments. To this day I am going through a major deconstruction of my beliefs, my commitment to some of our non-doctrinal and cultural values, and long-held beliefs that members take for granted.

But at the same time, I can't discount the overcoming of the Spirit I had when I asked specifically if I should join the LDS Church.

At this point, I don't really care about who was excommunicated, who saw what p lates, etcetera -- as Napoleon said "history is a pack of lies agreed upon". None of us will ever have first hand knowledge of what happened, just as none of us will ever have firsthand knowledge of whether Christ actually was the Son of God unless God sees fit to share that -- which I think is very rare.

All we have to rely on is our individual spiritual impressions in the final analysis.

I was touched a while ago by the writings of Ben Franklin in his autobiography. He said that one person described men in religion as men walking across a field in a fog. Each person thinks they see clearly around them, but from the perspective of other men on the field, they are as much in the fog as everyone else.

I believe now that each person has their own set of beliefs they see clearly. I believe God may well lead us to join the LDS Church, the Presbyterian, and other Churches because it results in some net good in the end compared to if we had never joined it in the first place. In the end, it wouldn't surprise me if the Mormons have to adjust their beliefs for new realities in the life after this one. So will the Evangelicals, the Pentacostals, etcetera.

What will matter then, as they view the landscape of their life on earth is the good they did, and how the beliefs they aligned themselves with enobled their character.

Find a religion, ask God to guide you in determining if you should join, and then commit to it as much as you are able.

TimP

Spiritual verifications are, more often than not, very personal experiences. This is especially true when it comes to the BoM and Joseph Smith. I cringe when I think of doubting that very strong "still small voice."

My faith comes from the many spiritual experiences over my lifetime that all have strengthened my faith in Christ first, and then; that the Book of Mormon is the word of God written for us in this last dispensation, and that Joseph Smith did see Heavenly Father and Christ, that he was called as the prophet to open this last dispensation. I know that Heavenly Father has given us prophets who are on this earth today. The BoM strengthens my testimony of Christ and the Bible.

As a scientist I find your post a little redundant. If we are to take the words of Jesus concerning this matter we find a rather interesting answer to your question that some would consider un-scientific. Therefore I urge you to take a different tact in your own exercise of faith. That is to resolve the question by faith in Jesus and what he recommended as a solution to your dilemma.

How did Jesus say to identify his followers and disciples (those that have faith in him)? By rhetorical logic of their doctrine? By physical means of proving their faith? By signs from heaven? Now this is where I find your post redundant. Did not Jesus say, “By their fruits you shall know them?” Thus the correct answer is already in the landscape of your current understanding, belief and faith of what is divine and from G-d. The question that remains - what is the basis (evidence) of your faith?

The Traveler

The interesting thing I found in your question was, how much of this can we turn around and apply to your own faith and the Bible? (Disclaimer, remember that Mormons accept the Bible as scripture, so this applies to us as well as greater Christianity). After all, as near as I can tell (and I'm not any kind of expert) we have no "original" manuscripts for the Bible either. There's nothing in our posession penned by Moses or David or Isaiah. It seems the closest we come might be Paul, but even in his case, I don't believe we are in posession of anything that Paul himself wrote.

There is Biblical archeology, that has been able to show that, at least in part, the Bible does describe some historical events. Even then, reconciling the Biblical narrative with other sources has been problematic in many cases.

And historic plausibility does not, in my mind, justify using it as a theologic text. There may have been a man named Moses, but did God really speak to him from a burning bush? Did he really go before Pharoah and perform those wonders?

There may be historical evidence for a man named Isaiah, but did he really see God?

There may be historical evidence for a man named Jonah, but was he really swallowed by a fish and regurgitated back on land?

There may be evidence for a man from Nazareth named Jesus who live around AD 30, but did he really suffer for the sins of all mankind, then rise from the grave to bring us eternal life?

Any physical evidence for these kinds of events? Not to my knowledge. Only the word of other human beings (transcribers and translators over the millenia) that these events actually occurred.

So, if we must reject faith that is based on the testimony of other human beings, and we can't find physical evidence for the theology in the Bible, we must rely on "supernatural" evidences. I don't know exactly what "supernatural evidence" is to you, but it seems to me that there are a lot of "remarkable coincidences" in the history of the Bible that suggest to me that God is its author. The interesting thing, it seems, about these remarkable coincidences, is they don't become supernatural evidence until after one has accepted the Bible as scripture.

Ultimately, things we can see with our eyes and hear with our ears do not create faith. Faith is a gift from God that He gives us. I suspect that, if you turn this question back to your own faith, you might find that your faith is based on the same kind of things our faith is based on -- even if we come to different conclusions.

There are various accounts in various documents regarding how these witnesses saw the plates. From what I understand every one of them in one way or the other recanted their original statements as to having seen the plates physically.

Your understanding is incorrect. None of the witnesses ever recanted his testimony.

Each stated when questioned further they saw the plates "through the eye of faith", or in other words through a vision.

Your "in other words" is incorrect. Seeing something "through the eye of faith" does not mean "in a vision" or "in a dream" or "I didn't really see it, but I thought I did."

If there are no plates to verify the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and nothing but the word of a group of people who apparently saw them in a vision, how valid do you feel the existence of the plates actually is?

Extremely valid.

This is possible. It is also possible that Joseph Smith received the Book of Abraham by revelation through the means of the papyri. It is also possible that the glyphs can be read in different ways, encoding more than one meaning simultaneously. It is also possible that we do not have the correct papyri in every case. It is also possible that we do not understand either the revelatory mechanism or the connection between the papyri and the translation provided by the prophet.

How do you justify your deep faith based on the statements of human beings only.

We do not.

There is no supernatural or physical verification at all that I see.

So what you are saying, if I understand you correctly, is that you are willing to believe Mormonism as long as you can find an ancient American city in ruins with a sign that says "Welcome to Zarahemla." My understanding is a bit different. I believe that God wants you to seek for him, and as you approach him he will give you revelation and increase your understanding. But he rarely (perhaps never) provides "proof" that satisfies the carnal mind. This is as true with the Bible as with latter-day scripture, by the way.

The foundation of my faith is based on Jesus Christ. Because i believe that He lives and that He is all powerful, i believe that He can use fallible human beings to bring about His purposes for us on earth.

It is because of my faith in Christ that i believe an imperfect man named Joseph Smith brought about the restoration of the true church. It is through Christ that he was able to do that.

It is because of my faith in Christ that i follow the current prophet even though i know he is just a man and subject to weakness and temptation. Christ has always used fallible men as His prophets on earth and still does today.

I believe that Christ can speak to us through His Holy Spirit and confirm the words of these fallible men to us personally. He has done so for me.

Hope that helps.

I base it on evidence and experience. Let's talk terms a bit. Belief is when you have convinced yourself that something is either true outright, or worth holding out the possibility that it *might* be true. The individual may or may not have evidence to support the belief.

Faith, on the other hand, is a gift of God and a principle of action and power. It is given, not self-generated. It is typically the result of right actions and is chiefly granted to those who have "clean hands and a pure heart." It is the product of the sub-conscious mind under the direct influence of the Holy Spirit.

But I know, the world defines it differently. <sigh>

Hah. The physical plates would not verify the authenticity of the Book of Mormon. :) I think the 8 and 3 witnesses of the Book of Mormon are the single most valid and profound evidence of the reality of their existence. Add too the witness of mother Whitmer and Lucy & Emma Smith, and others, and it's a powerful attestation that there were actual, physical plates. :D

As to the inner feeling. Who says it's alone? After many experiences of those feelings being verified in the physical world, I have a great deal of confidence in the feelings I get. Not all have prepared their minds for valid divine interaction, but the Gospel certainly teaches how to make it so.

Then you should not be a Mormon. Your question is ill asked.

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly

Thanks, as pretty much everyone has stated we base faith in our spiritual recognition of truth. If one ponders a little about where they came from and the purpose of this life, they start to access the spiritual recognition that we did exist before and this life has a purpose. As we get more information and ask our spiritual self whether those facts are true and work on that information then our faith grows. As we put it into practice it grows stronger and stronger. It is not obtained from facts alone. Thanks again.

Your "in other words" is incorrect. Seeing something "through the eye of faith" does not mean "in a vision" or "in a dream" or "I didn't really see it, but I thought I did."

"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling, p. 723

:D

I base my own faith on my own experience of being lost. I've been a lost sheep the Shepard has saved. I know he is as real as my own hand. I know he saved me, and all of us. No I can not explain it, but I know he is real, just as real as every breath I take.

I don't base my faith on anything else. Yes I believe in the testimony of the Prophets, I believe the BoM to be a witness to Christ, I believe Temple work is important, ect. But my faith is fully and completely in Christ and his Atonement and the love of our Heavenly Father has for us that Atonement is built upon.

Edited by RescueMom
fixing things

After reading the original post that started this thread I felt very moved to answer with a post of my own. I haven't read the rest of the thread, I just wanted to answer with what was in my heart...

I know that I am not able to respond to what the critics say about our church, but I CAN definately tell you where my faith comes from. It comes from the holy spirit. When I read and prayed about the BOM I felt a peace and felt sure that it was true. When I go to the temple, I feel the spirit, and he whispers to me that I am in the right place. When i meet with my bishop, the holy spirit speaks to both of us, and I know without a doubt that he is divinely inspiried to help me.

When I pray, or as I live in accordance to the gospel, I feel the spirit, and it tells me that this is the true church, and that I am doing the right things. I am not impressed by human beings, but by the spirit of God. He teaches me truth, and inspires me to do better. There is no better witness than this!

I am LDS because I received a spiritual witness from the Holy Ghost indicating that the BoM was what it claimed to be, and Joseph Smith was what he claimed to be.

I second this. My confirmation that the Book of Mormon is truly scripture from God is one of the most treasured things in my life.