Did I hear right? Did President Monson say

Vort

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm really glad the building will be restored. On the other hand, I'd prefer it be restored as a tabernacle, that the whole community can use, rather than as a temple, which will be closed to most people. Really, does Provo need another temple? Why does it have to be a temple in order to be considered worthy of restoration?

I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm really glad the building will be restored. On the other hand, I'd prefer it be restored as a tabernacle, that the whole community can use, rather than as a temple, which will be closed to most people. Really, does Provo need another temple?

Not for us to say whether an area needs another temple or not. They must have good reason to have another temple there or the church would not use its financial resources to do so.

From an article already out concerning this:

The announcement of the new temple in Provo drew an audible response from the Conference Center congregation. President Monson explained that the temple would be built on the site of the recently burned Provo Tabernacle in downtown Provo. He indicated that the current Provo Temple is among the busiest in the church — the new temple will take some of the pressure off that temple.

LDS general conference opens with the announcement of six new Mormon temples | Deseret News

Edited by pam

Not for us to say whether an area needs another temple or not. They must have good reason to have another temple there or the church would not use its financial resources to do so.

:rolleyes: Yeah, whatever.

It used to be a beautiful forum for public, community-oriented events. Now the community as a whole will be shut out for good, and it will be used only by temple recommend-holding Mormons. Now, I am a temple-recommend holding Mormon, and so I could go in, but I think it's rather sad to see the building repurposed in such a way that the public will no longer be able to use it. Call me crazy, but that's the way I see it.

I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm really glad the building will be restored. On the other hand, I'd prefer it be restored as a tabernacle, that the whole community can use, rather than as a temple, which will be closed to most people. Really, does Provo need another temple? Why does it have to be a temple in order to be considered worthy of restoration?

Yes, Provo desperately needs another temple. The Provo temple is by far the busiest in the world, and is not a particularly large temple compared with SLC, DC, and other big ones. Especially with the growth of the Provo-Orem area, this temple is desperately needed, even with the Mount Timp and American Fork temples nearby. Or so my Provo-area friends and relatives tell me.

It used to be a beautiful forum for public, community-oriented events. Now the community as a whole will be shut out for good, and it will be used only by temple recommend-holding Mormons. Now, I am a temple-recommend holding Mormon, and so I could go in, but I think it's rather sad to see the building repurposed in such a way that the public will no longer be able to use it. Call me crazy, but that's the way I see it.

While you were whatevering me..you missed my edit as to why the church is doing this.

Hidden

I just cannot figure out why the First Presidency did not consult with you before making such a decision. Baffled, I am.

Yes, and this is hugely important because everyone knows the Provo Tabernacle has for generations been a popular destination for non-Mormons living in or visiting the Provo area. Hard to count the number of souls brought to salvation because of the open nature of the Provo Tabernacle. And now it's being converted into a temple?! How will that save anyone?

I just cannot figure out why the First Presidency did not consult with you before making such a decision. Baffled, I am.

While you were whatevering me..you missed my edit as to why the church is doing this.

Yeah, I missed your edit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against building another temple in Provo. It's just that I would prefer they build another temple from scratch, rather than converting the Tabernacle.

Vort, you may pooh pooh the importance of community events formerly held in the Tabernacle, but I honestly believe that such events are important. "No man is an island," and all that--we are not exalted alone, but as a community, and community isn't build on religious ordinances alone.

Vort, you may pooh pooh the importance of community events formerly held in the Tabernacle,

This is false. I never did any such thing. I think community events are important and useful. I dispute that they need to be done in the Provo Tabernacle, or for that matter that the Provo Tabernacle was ever commonly used for such events.

"No man is an island," and all that--we are not exalted alone, but as a community, and community isn't build on religious ordinances alone.

We are not exalted as a civic community. Those who dispute and question the First Presidency's decision to use the rebuilt Provo Tabernacle as a temple do far more damage to community life and spirit than the loss of the Tabernacle ever did. I am amazed that you cannot see this.

Yeah, I missed your edit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against building another temple in Provo. It's just that I would prefer they build another temple from scratch, rather than converting the Tabernacle.

But of course, this isn't a "conversion" per se. It isn't like we're using backhoes to gut the Logan Temple again, or leveling the Coalville Tabernacle with wanton disregard to the wishes of the community. The Provo tabernacle was destroyed by an accidental fire. To all intents and purposes, the tabernacle the Utah Valley community knew and loved is already gone.

The Church is simply not in the business of building community centers at this stage in its history--at least, not community centers whose cost could easily shoot upwards of ten million dollars. The only two realistic choices were a) to restore the building, but with a modified use that directly fits in with the Church's current building plan; or b) to deed the property to the City of Provo or some private entity and hope that one of them could somehow scrape the money together.

I'd love to see the tabernacle restored as-was; and I don't discount the role the building played in the community. But I must confess (as a Utah Valley resident) that I've set foot in the building exactly once since 2001. So I'm happy just to see that it's finally getting its central tower (removed around 1917, if I remember correctly) back. What right do I, as an American, have to demand that the Church's tithing funds (a substantial portion of which come from the third world) be used to rebuild a "community center" in my first-world community that already has several comparable facilities ready and able to host Provo civic events?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest sister-in-faith

:twothumbsup:Well I, for one, LOVE IT! Such a beautiful building... There is no greater 'honor' than to be converted into a temple. I know that this is Heavenly Father's will, and I can't wait to visit the temple when it is complete! YAY!

Yes, Provo desperately needs another temple. The Provo temple is by far the busiest in the world, and is not a particularly large temple compared with SLC, DC, and other big ones. Especially with the growth of the Provo-Orem area, this temple is desperately needed, even with the Mount Timp and American Fork temples nearby. Or so my Provo-area friends and relatives tell me.

There's an American Fork temple? Have I missed it all these years? :P

I wonder if we are too cavalier in regards to the importance of Temples. Every temple built helps form a link between this world and the next. The mere presence of a temple provides a beacon for both members and non-members. For good reason every temple is labeled as a "House of the Lord". George Q. Cannon said, "Every foundation stone that is laid for a Temple, and every Temple completed … lessens the power of Satan on the earth, and increases the power of God and Godliness. (“The Logan Temple,” Millennial Star, Nov. 12, 1877, 743)" No community centered event center could ever compare.

I was thinking of the Draper temple, being in south Salt Lake and probably serving down to Lehi as part of its district, and accidentally repeated myself. My point was that there are already three temples serving the area just south of the point of the mountain. The Mt Timp temple is what I used to call the AmFork temple.

I think HEthePrimate has a valid point and I also think it's commendable (the fact that he is concern about our non-Mormons brothers and sisters who used to take advantage on the use of the tabernacle). I don't know whether or not Provo needs another Temple however it is my personal impression that they're just probably trying to create something special after tragedy.

Thank you, Suzie. I was very saddened when the Provo Tabernacle burned, both because it's a historical building, but also because of the fond memories I have of attending various concerts there, like the Adventsingen. And I loved that old pipe organ, too. (Phooey on those electronic "things" (as my mother calls them) they put in most all of the newer buildings!)