Ministering Angels

bstone

On 6/1/2014 at 11:33 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

I would argue that we should be more concerned with being ministering angel than in seeking them. Let God and HIs angels do as He will. Our "seeking" of ministering angels is not a special thing that we should be focused on. To me that is a clear "looking beyond the mark" thing. Our seeking of ministering angels should come down to nothing more than what we have been given. Serve God. Serve others. Keep the commandments. The angels will attend.

The Ministering of Angels - Jeffrey R. Holland

I think it's a bit of a stretch to think Lennoxlewy has been given a "special gift" because he's fascinated with something. I have been fascinated with many subjects over the years that have nothing to do with special gifts, unless of course fascination itself can be considered a special gift.

The gifts of the spirit are also not magic. "...and they come unto every man severally, according as he will."

Everyone has the right to the gifts of the spirit as we obey and have need, according to the Lord's will. Everyone of us may have the attendance of ministering angels as we serve God.

But our focus should be to serve and obey God.

I see your point Sir but when one doesnt call upon them and they come without you asking or doing anything who are we to tell them or father what to do. Just let things happen natually. 

Edited by Hoops
Mispelled

On 10/2/2011 at 12:52 PM, bstone said:

My theory is that there is a very structured organization for the work to go forward beyond the veil. I feel that our kindred spirits have callings and assignments to work with us in our family history work, or temple work, and even our callings. I have also heard it expressed from members of temple presidencies that there is a spiritual structure and organization that is set up beyond the veil to assist us in temple work.

I just wanted to see if anyone had additional documented sources on this interesting topic.

Thanks!

I believe there is an organization called "The Kingdom of G-d".  It is structured in much the same manner as the companion organization, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is structured here on earth.

The Traveler

On 4/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, Hoops said:

I see your point Sir but when one doesnt call upon them and they come without you asking or doing anything who are we to tell them or father what to do. Just let things happen natually. 

I do not believe anything happens naturally except by incentive.  Water is thought to flow naturally downhill but the truth is that gravity is the incentive for water to flow downhill.  Nothing in this universe happens without some kind of incentive.  We are told by revelation that even blessing will not come but by the incentive of obedience to principles that govern those blessings. The Aaronic Priesthood is the key to the ministering of angels (see D&C 13).  All angels that administer under the direction of G-d do so through the Aaronic Priesthood.

As a young fellow I sought for the ministering of angels at a critical juncture of my life.  As part of my effort I spent 40 days fasting in the wilderness (high altitude desert of central and southern Utah).  My quest was interrupted and for many years I thought was ruined.   It was not until I attended the dedication of the Seattle Temple in the Celestial room that I learned that angels did administer during my time in the wilderness.  A word of caution and warning.  The primary reason for angles being sent to administer is to call to repentance - usually it initially is not a pleasant experience to be called to repentance.  Also there is a trial of faith that must take place before any blessing.  Often a trial of faith involves dark and unclean spirits that will torment and tempt.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet

@Hoops if you are interested in Ministering Angels (as I am) I recommend the talk For a Wise Purpose by Elder Holland

It's a talk about the Book of Mormon, but also about angels.  He says, "I am convinced that one of the profound themes of the Book of Mormon is the role and prevalence and central participation of angels in the gospel story."

And..."One of the things that will become more important in our lives the longer we live is the reality of angels, their work and their ministry. I refer here not alone to the angel Moroni but also to those more personal ministering angels who are with us and around us, empowered to help us and who do exactly that (see 3 Ne. 7:18; Moro. 7:29–32, 37; D&C 107:20)."

And...."I believe we need to speak of and believe in and bear testimony of the ministry of angels more than we sometimes do. They constitute one of God’s great methods of witnessing through the veil, and no document in all this world teaches that principle so clearly and so powerfully as does the Book of Mormon." 

The whole talk is great.  I highly recommend it!  https://www.lds.org/study/ensign/1996/01/for-a-wise-purpose?lang=eng

Another great resource is this BYU Speech Angels, Chariots and the Lord of Hosts by Donald W. Parry.   If you enjoy the talk, Bro. Parry also has a book on the topic. 
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/donald-w-parry_angels-chariots-and-the-lord-of-hosts/