garments... on ebay?

sister_in_faith

As I mentioned in a different post, I just got a new computer and am rediscovering the internet. I was surprised to find that you can buy garments on ebay...

I was under the impression that this was illegal in some way, or that the church tried to stop this from happening???

What's the deal with that, and why would a non endowed person want garments anyway?

Im just confused and surprised...:confused:

It's not illegal - the item is genuine, and belongs to the person who is selling it.

I'm not sure if there is an awful lot the church can do to stop it, although if ebay are willing to work with the church on this problem then they would rely on people reporting the item. Ebay can't manually moderate the millions of items that get submitted every single day.

As I mentioned in a different post, I just got a new computer and am rediscovering the internet. I was surprised to find that you can buy garments on ebay...

I was under the impression that this was illegal in some way, or that the church tried to stop this from happening???

What's the deal with that, and why would a non endowed person want garments anyway?

Im just confused and surprised...:confused:

No its not proper. But as members don't sign any sort of legal contract in joining with the church theres not much the church could do other than ask the individual not to.

..OR ask E-bay to take them down.

maybe the church should 'rent' garments instead of selling them. of course it would be a one time 'rental fee' and the patrons would not be asked for the garments back unless there was something being done that didn't go along with how the church asks the garments to be used... have patrons sign a one time agreement that they will never sell garments, and make it illegal, that way they could prosecute someone for selling garments??? just a thought... hummm

Garments are a symbol of a covenant. I agree that putting them for sale on ebay or craigslist or in your garage sale is in poor taste, for oh so many reasons. But proposing that the church rent your underwear to you, or require that you sign an agreement to not sell them, would only exacerbate the problem.

This generally occurs because members or ex-members find no value or efficacy in the covenants, have simply lost faith, or are endeavoring to make the church look bad. Placing any of the above suggestions into play is not going to help resolve this underlying problem.

-RM

Back around the year 2000 or so, someone put a temple recommend up on eBay and it very quickly escalated in price. The Church contacted eBay and the auction was terminated. Temple recommends are the property of the Church--not the member. As such a person cannot legally sell one because it is not his or her property. For temple garments, that is a different story.

Back around the year 2000 or so, someone put a temple recommend up on eBay and it very quickly escalated in price. The Church contacted eBay and the auction was terminated. Temple recommends are the property of the Church--not the member. As such a person cannot legally sell one because it is not his or her property. For temple garments, that is a different story.

They were all over the place before they bought the barcode system in. Entire books of blank temple recommends go missing more often than the church security department could cope with. Each temple has a list of blacklisted temple recommends that have recently been either been stolen or lost in their area on the front desk - the list is usually very long (10-20 A4 pages), and until the barcode system, those manning the front desk had to rely entirely upon the spirit to warn them when a blacklisted recommend was being shown, as checking the list each time was not feasible.

Edited by Mahone

maybe the church should 'rent' garments instead of selling them. of course it would be a one time 'rental fee' and the patrons would not be asked for the garments back unless there was something being done that didn't go along with how the church asks the garments to be used... have patrons sign a one time agreement that they will never sell garments, and make it illegal, that way they could prosecute someone for selling garments??? just a thought... hummm

I think you are on to something here... how about having having customers sign a long term lease with a ballon payment due at the end of year 5 that could be forgiven if the customer didn't abuse the garment. Then the Church could create a massive surveillance program consisting of web-browsing history tracking of all temple recommend holders, wire-tapping, reward payments for "report-a-parent" abuses and the like. The Church should create a surveillance team named the Garmestapo and 3% of the 10% tithe would fund the effort.

Edited by Snow