NaNoWriMo? Who's doing it?

lizzy16

Hey there! Whose doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I'm really excited this year. I 'attempted' last year but got to day two and pretty much quit. This year I'm really pre-planning. I'm doing a Memoir type thing :) So excited.

What are you writing about?

(For those who have no idea what I'm talking about NaNoWriMo means National Novel Writing Month. You write 50,000 word novel in one month. And, if you win you feel super good about yourself. If you lose...well you feel like a loser.)

I'm participating this year. :D Maybe we can be writing buddies? Are you registered on the website?

Although, I'm technically "cheating"... I'm trying to use Nano as a support group to finish the novel I already started. But I need at least 50,000 more words to finish it, so I was only going to submit what I actually write during the month of November for the contest.

Did this is 2002 (didn't even come close to finishing) and in 2009. Didn't finish by the end of November in 2009 but I did continue on into December and got a complete first draft. Actually, just finished my daily re-writing session on it ("I, Isaac") and a couple of weeks more will see the completion of the second draft. Couple more drafts and it will be ready to go.

So, busy on other things this year. May try again next year -- got a novel idea based on a character (if that's the word) in Thucydides.

Good luck with it. It is fun to be working with other writing crazies -- sort of like a month-long all-nighter.

Dravin, its people like you that make people like me look like idiots when it comes to Math. :rolleyes: I honestly don't see how you think math is fun.

To each there own.:)

I don't find math particularly fun but it's more straight forward. While I can write and I can write fairly well I'll take doing math over having to write any day of the week as baring some potential disagreement over notation math is straightforward. It's correct or it's incorrect and you get an instant and firm feedback on if you did well. Writing gets into this mushy world where depending on who you ask X is correct and Y is inferior, and ask someone else and you get the opposite answer.

I'm sure at some level of math there is debate but it's way above my head, the debate in writing starts at a much lower level. Obviously things are influenced by my schooling experience and it's tasked based nature. I'm not inclined to write (other than something like a post, certainly not something like a novel) or do math for fun, but if want a little thrill for having done something well and 'bested' the challenge between those two options I'll take math. And yes, I do little victory laughs when I finish a long/difficult math problem correctly. I feel like I've bested a foe. I don't get that with writing.

Edited by Dravin

I've never heard of this before. What is the web site? I've had several ideas for novels in my head that I've wanted to start, but have never gotten to it. Maybe this will motivate me. I've always wanted to write, and I think of the lines in Billy Crystal's movie "Throw Mama from the Train"--"A writer, writes". I've always felt guilty, because I keep thinking if I truly want to write, then I need to just sit down and start writing.

I've never heard of this before. What is the web site? I've had several ideas for novels in my head that I've wanted to start, but have never gotten to it. Maybe this will motivate me. I've always wanted to write, and I think of the lines in Billy Crystal's movie "Throw Mama from the Train"--"A writer, writes". I've always felt guilty, because I keep thinking if I truly want to write, then I need to just sit down and start writing.

The website is NaNoWriMo.org. I linked it for you. :D This is my first year participating, and I've found that there are a LOT of people who do this,and a good number of them just write what they can without getting anywhere near the 50,000 words. There are also others who seem to be "pros" and will take on "newbies" to "mentor" through it. I'm really excited to give this a try, and hope it gives me the motivation I need to finish my book.

Hey there! Whose doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I'm really excited this year. I 'attempted' last year but got to day two and pretty much quit. This year I'm really pre-planning. I'm doing a Memoir type thing :) So excited.

What are you writing about?

(For those who have no idea what I'm talking about NaNoWriMo means National Novel Writing Month. You write 50,000 word novel in one month. And, if you win you feel super good about yourself. If you lose...well you feel like a loser.)

I'll celebrate by cheering my sister on.

Do you post your writing or is it kept private?

Mine?

I plan on sharing mine. I'm writing a memoir about a friend that passed away and the grieving process i went through. I'd love to find a buddy to read it to see if it makes sense for them. Since its an emotional piece its kinda hard to know if people are understanding what i'm saying....:)

As for everyone else, its your choice :)

I've always wanted to do it, and am debating once again to do it this year. My obstacles: I'm constantly switching from Days to Swings to Mid shifts, have a 1 month old kid....and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon comes out tomorrow......

Ooh

I want the soundtracks to that game XD