In defence of Benevolent Corporations!!!

Guest mormonmusic

Backroads, I suppose you and I are just too dumb to get this. But, I do believe that MM is being sarcastic. Enron was full of corrupt business practices, Madoff was convicted of making off with millions of dollars from a Ponzi scheme, Worldcom was known for being corrupt as well. Not sure of the others.

So, I think (I was hoping MM would clarify because I really am not sure what he's saying) he is saying that corporations aren't really benevolent since there is proof that some of them are corrupt.

If that is what he is saying, I'm also wondering if he thinks our most benevolent and perfect government should step in...

If that's not what he is saying, then I wonder what he is saying? :D

These are the people 'defending' the 'benevolent' corporations... a play on the title because these people were true scam artists and white collar criminals.

I kept waiting for something to do with Microsoft since you were using Word 2007 for this picture.

That corporations recruit Washington insiders, and many Washington insiders come from the ranks of corporations, does sometimes create a stench of conflicting interests. It is sometimes fair to raise the question as to whether the legislators are doing the business of the people, or whether the people are getting the business.

Go ahead and tighten the screws, and empower the investigators. This type of corruption does need to be weeded out.

Guest mormonmusic

I was using a play on the word IN DEFENCE, and doing a reverse sarcasm of Vort's post earlier today.

I was hoping you would think I was defending the big business in the title. Then you would look at the picture, and see these men were being defended for charges of fraud and corruption. So, the defence was for their own skins in court.

I was showing defence lawyers defending the corruption of corporate American -- Enron, Worldcom, Bernie Madoff. All the players in these corrupt organizations did time for fraud. Including Arthur Anderson. which used to be a big accounting firm that falsified their auditor's report after they found irregularities in the reporting of some large scale companies. Arthur Anderson, the principal also did time.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I was using a play on the word Defence.

I thought everyone would think I was defending big business, but then, upon entering the thread, would realize it was about their defence in court after being brought up on corruption charges. All the people listed in the picture were guilty of huge fraud charges, and did time. Arthur Anderson was a consulting firm that falsified their auditor's report, leading investors astray.

Yes, I was definitely being sarcastic....!!!

Guest mormonmusic

Either that, or revel in the satisfaction of knowing that at least two or three people have now broadened their knowledge of high profile news that rocked the foundations of corporate America's way of doing business to understand the point of the post....

But here is not a place to go into the SOX regulations that were spawned by the Enron, Anderson, and Worldcom.

Edited by mormonmusic

I am surprised the AIG executives weren't there either. They got some nice bonuses after the taxpayers bailed out their failing company.

The announcement made by the White House that AIG got to keep all the money after they sent their top agents to a $450,000 retreat in California, then a $350,000 retreat in Arizona, is when I lost my last sliver of confidence for our elected leaders. I'd vote for a cactus before I ever vote for a Republican or a Democrat.

For what it's worth, the AIG bonuses were mandated by conditions set by the bailout itself. Thus the Gov't told them to take their bonuses, then raked them over the coals for taking them...

There are corrupt corporations, but not all corporations are corrupt. The Gov't is the most corrupt of them all.

For what it's worth, the AIG bonuses were mandated by conditions set by the bailout itself. Thus the Gov't told them to take their bonuses, then raked them over the coals for taking them...

There are corrupt corporations, but not all corporations are corrupt. The Gov't is the most corrupt of them all.

The bonuses were worked into the bailout by Senator Dodd. Dodd then received "donations" that totaled $160,000 from AIG employees. He lied when first questioned about it but eventually admitted to adding the bonuses to the bailout package. They worked out a private deal with public funds that was not on the level and everyone involved knew it. The guys at AIG didn't get raked under coals, they got massages and played golf. Bonuses paid in 2009 were $218M in bailout money.

I agree that there are businesses that are not crooked, who pay taxes and obey the laws pertaining to whatever industry they're in. And I think you hit the nail directly on the head with your description of our Govt. :animatedthumbsup:

The $218M in bonuses aside, the week following the September bailout, AIG employees and distributors participated in a California retreat which cost $444,000 and featured spa treatments, banquets, and golf outings. It was reported that the trip was a reward for top-performing life-insurance agents planned before the bailout. Less than 24 hours after the news of the party was first reported by the media, it was reported that the Federal Reserve had agreed to give AIG an additional loan of up to $37.8 billion.AP reported on October 17 that AIG executives spent $86,000 on a previously scheduled English hunting trip. News of the lavish spending came just days after AIG received an additional $37.8 billion loan from the Federal Reserve, on top of a previous $85 billion emergency loan granted the month before. Regarding the hunting trip, the company responded, "We regret that this event was not canceled." An October 30, 2008 article from CNBC reported that AIG had already drawn upon $90 billion of the $123 billion allocated for loans. On November 10, 2008, just a few days before renegotiating another bailout with the US Government for $40 billion, ABC News reported that AIG spent $343,000 on a trip to a lavish resort in Phoenix, Arizona.

Hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayer money being funneled into this company that had well over $100B in losses across 5 straight quarters, and the people at the helm are paying themselves 8 figure bonuses in taxpayer money and taking vacations that totaled more than $1M. They must of been exhausted from posting the highest losses in corporate history. They got bailout after bailout and they never stopped rewarding themselves. The tax money just kept on rolling in and the biggest failures in all of corporate history got paid. God bless America.

Hyperbole.