1 Year Supply

JThimm88

I'm a convert and have never heard anything like this before until last evening. A friend of mine, who has always been a member, mentioned that unless you have 1 year's worth of food storage, you will not be asked to join the saints before the second coming. Instead of asking her in more detail, the whole concept just freaked me out a little bit as my husband and I just barely make ends meet each month, we're lucky if we have groceries, and food storage is just something that we haven't been able to start yet...

Does anyone know what on earth she is talking about, if there is a source of some sort, and the validity behind the statement if it is in fact true?

I've never heard a consequence like that for not having a 1 year food storage supply.

Food storage has been talked about a lot in conference. Here is a recent talk:

Lay Up in Store - general-conference

EDIT: I've been trying to find the exact quote but I'm running out of time. Chieko N. Okaziki (formerly a counselor in the RS Presidency) once said something along the lines that if you only had space and resources to have an extra bowl of fruit on the table that was your storage.

Edited by applepansy

This is something we are asked to do to stay prepared for whatever might come our way. You can do it little by little. There are programs and lists out there that tell you to buy two extra cans of tuna or whatever for a year, to start saving up for your year supply. I would start with a 72 hour kit. You can make that yourself, for not too much cost. Each time you are at the store pick up a few extra cans of food.

I never heard of consiquences if you don't have it, tho. I don't have nearly that much.

Don't let people that are like that scare you. We are all here to help. None of "have arrived" yet. So we all have things to work on.

Guest gopecon

We ARE STILL counseled to have a year supply of food on hand. The problem is that so few members were doing it (it is an overwhelming idea, as the OP states), that emphasis has been placed on shorter term preparedness that seems more attainable. If you can't have a year, have a few months on hand. If you can't do that, have a few weeks available. If not that, at least have enough around so that your family could survive for a few days after a disaster of some sort (72 - 96 hours).

Don't feel like you need to take out a second mortgage to get your storage. Put back a little at a time. Providentliving.org is a good resource for ideas, and they have affordable staples (wheat, rice, beans, oats, etc.) that you can buy as you can afford them.

I started my food storage years ago, when I was working at McDonalds. I would buy one more can or box of food that I normally eat and keep it in a separate cupboard.

Starting like that, it becomes easier to get a storage plan started for less than $5 a week.

A friend of mine, who has always been a member, mentioned that unless you have 1 year's worth of food storage, you will not be asked to join the saints before the second coming.

If it is what I think it is related to, it is a false doctrine that some misguided people have bought into.

Go here: Family Home Storage

That is the church's official site on the topic.

It is still a year supply, but we are counseled to start with a 3 month supply of foods we would normally eat.

I have taught preparedness for many years. This is the lesson plan I used in our ward and our stake where I was asked to teach:

Rogmo's Corner :: View topic - Why Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness?

If you want a forum geared towards preparedness from an LDS perspective try this site: Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Forums - Powered by vBulletin

You will find several of us there as well.

Edited by mirkwood

Whenever a member makes such a statement that doesn't sit right, I always insist they show me where a prophet or apostle or the scriptures have stated this. Then, I can also research it to see if it was just some General Authority's opinion, or if it is actual doctrine (there is a major difference).

If the member cannot show me a reliable source, I will kindly ask them to refrain from propagating rumors that cannot be substantiated.

To the OP,

Someone gave your friend the wrong end of the stick. They either heard some other misguided person say it or something. It is not correct.

The proper thing for you to do though is to speak to your Bishop about it. He should be able to ease your mind.

By the way all the time I was growing up in the church it was a 2 year supply. As for building your supply, make it a priority but don't overdue it, do a little each time you shop, or put a few dollars aside for the "bigger" stuff till you have enough for a trip to an LDS cannery etc.

Whenever a member makes such a statement that doesn't sit right, I always insist they show me where a prophet or apostle or the scriptures have stated this. Then, I can also research it to see if it was just some General Authority's opinion, or if it is actual doctrine (there is a major difference).

If the member cannot show me a reliable source, I will kindly ask them to refrain from propagating rumors that cannot be substantiated.

AMEN

I know that I "thanked" this post, but it also needed the AMEN added to it.

We used to have a woman in our Branch who made statements regarding Doctrine, etc. that were mostly - 'The Gospel According To Sister Opinionated'. The Branch Presidency knew to not assign her to give talks, and to be on the alert when she bore her testimony on Fast Sundays, which were not testimonies, but her opportunity to preach her version of the gospel.

A good supply of water -drinking & washing is also a cheap start to your storage-although in that space can be the problem.

Something as simple as a a burst pipe or water-main can disrupt your supply & instead of scrabbling around for pots,pans & empty bottles to fill up in a hurry you can "tap into" your water supply.

Ok, so about the whole 'being asked to join the saints', what does that mean? Will we all be gathered together right before the second coming? I may have missed something. I mean, I JUST found out about Saturday night sessions of Stake conference, and I've been a member almost 20 years.

I'm still studying what the Lord expects of us as President Uchtdorf told the men of the Church to do in the preisthood session. He said to help the needy is part of their priesthood responsibilties. He said to read the June Ensign and Provident Living to find out what that is. In the June Ensign it says you need to have enough for your own family so you can then help others.

Most people probably don't know this, but it looks like the entire provident living site has been changed since conference. We should all read it and really learn what the Lord expects...

Welfare and Self Reliance Principles | ProvidentLiving.org

I do know that the First Presidency just told us this conference that we must be prepared so that if things get bad we will be able to help the poor and the needy...and for over 70 years the Prophets have told us to have substantial home storage. Sister Beck recently said our homes should be overflowing with food.

Some of my friends say they can't afford food storage but they eat out several times a month. Wheat was just on sale for $14 for 50 pounds. The Church says that basic survival grains is 25 pounds of grains and 5 pounds of beans. The grains portion of that would be $7 for the month, with about $5 for beans. Then you have to buy the containers which might cost another $7 if you can it yourself... I have friends that quickly paid for a year supply of food by learning to use these foods in their meals...it takes more work, but they feel like they are eating healthier because they know what is actually in their food.

After you store 3 months and a longer-term supply of grains (so more than 3 months) you have to decide for yourself how much the Lord expects you to gather. But for most of us it would be a substantial amount as we are commanded to have food to feed our families, our neighbors and to help the bishop feed the poor and needy if things get bad. In a serious pandemic you would have to stay inside for more than 3 months.

See "All is Safely Gathered In" just renamed "Prepare Every Needful Thing" that was put out by the First Presidency a few years ago. In this it said that it was a COMMANDMENT from Heavenly Father to "prepare every needful thing." What that is after the basics is between you and the Lord.

https://lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/04008_eng.pdf?lang=eng

Edited by lds2

I think that the lady may have been talking about the Exodus to the New Jerusalem. You would need substantial stores to make it there if the Saints have to walk back there as I have heard said would happen someday before the second coming. That could happen in some of our lifetimes as President Benson told those who are now in their 50s that they would live to "see their God."

Or she may have been talking about having to leave our homes for safety in the future as when things get bad that is what God always has had his Saints do. I have never seen where God killed all the wicked while the righteous stayed safely in their homes, but I have read over 45 times where, when things get bad, he gathers them out to safer places. Some think we may be gathered to the temples or to the mountains if this happens.

You can hear this quote that President Monson used part of in his Priesthood Session talk a few weeks ago, it is very powerful and means a lot as when a prophet quotes another prophet you KNOW it is VERY important. Listen to this quote...it is President Benson's words at the beginning and middle of this short video.

Edited by lds2

I always worry about having a large supply of food and then get the order from the prophet to get out of Dodge lickity split, like Lot, and not have room for it in the truck!

Wouldn't that bite a big one?

Actually I worry about the situation that happened to Brigham Young, where he was fully prepared to go West but the group he went with was not so he shared with them and they all were hungry together. So though I don't have a year supply I am planning on more than that. I heard it said that in the tribulations of the last days that one of the big hurdles that the Saints have to overcome is to share what little they have saved with those who didn't.

Edited by I_Can_See
spelling

My ancestors were kind of in that situation in the Willey handcart company...they were well-to-do and were planning on going in the wagon train, but they were asked to give up the money that would have paid for the team and wagon and take hand carts instead. They had already left their eldest son behind to serve a mission and paid for little Bodil Mortenson's passage on the ship. They arrived in the valley with very little...but they all made it through the starvation and hardships with no deaths in their immediate family...even though the father and an adult daughter were invalids and the other family members had to pull their added weight across the plains. Perhaps they had added blessings for their sacrifice.

Edited by lds2