Returning

Valleymom

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I debated on even asking this, or if I did, to use other names, but I will just be upfront with the situation. I was a convert about 12 years ago. A couple of years later (after getting married and having children) we got caught up in the antiMormon info and had our names removed. Now, after several years and lots of prayer and study we are discussing the possibility of going back to church. My question is if that is even possible? If it is, and we did rejoin, would we be ostracized? Would my kids? Would we be able to go to the temple? Any answers would be appreciated. Please, please, realize that I am asking honestly and I know that we made mistakes. My husband's side of the family are all LDS and have been praying for us too and would love to see us come back.

Thank you.

You can come back. Talk to the bishop or missionaries. They can help. I can say that nobody would be rude enough to say anything about it, but in the ward I am in, I think it would be safe to say you would only be welcomed back. If anyone in your area said anything, then they are the rude ones and it wouldn't be the majority. We pray for people to came back. I would think that the ward would be very happy to see you!!

You start your return by showing up to church on Sunday. Along with basics of prayer and scripture study.

As you move forward and become more sure that this is the path for you then you talk with the Bishop. See what he has to say about what needs to be done to restore you to full membership and all the blessing that come with it.

Repentance is a great wonderful and true principle, it can handle this if you are willing

Yes, you can rejoin.

No, you would not be ostracized, nor your children.*

Yes, you could regain your temple blessings.

*If you have been particularly vocal or nasty in antiMormon activities, it is possible that some ward members might harbor hard feelings toward you. This is too bad, and is explicitly antiChristian, but I would hope you might understand where they are coming from and give them a bit of a break. If you simply gave into the lies and mischaracterizations of the antiMormons and asked for your names to be removed, I doubt anyone would hold that against you if you returned. Most probably would never even know it.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

This past Saturday there a re-baptism for a woman who had her name removed from the church records like 30 years ago. They couldn't find any record of her (I don't know if having your name removed from church records means your record get's tossed or if her record just got lost somewhere) but all she had to do was wait for church HQ to confirm they had no record for her and she was treated as a new convert.

You got great advice and encouragement already. Just wanted to add an extra dose of encouragement and say you can do it! I'm kind of sort of in the same boat, in regards to returning to the gospel after taking a long long long hiatus away from it (faaar away from it).

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I debated on even asking this, or if I did, to use other names, but I will just be upfront with the situation. I was a convert about 12 years ago. A couple of years later (after getting married and having children) we got caught up in the antiMormon info and had our names removed. Now, after several years and lots of prayer and study we are discussing the possibility of going back to church. My question is if that is even possible? If it is, and we did rejoin, would we be ostracized? Would my kids? Would we be able to go to the temple? Any answers would be appreciated. Please, please, realize that I am asking honestly and I know that we made mistakes. My husband's side of the family are all LDS and have been praying for us too and would love to see us come back.

Thank you.

You can go back to church. My guess is no one would say anything to you. I'm a former member as well and attend institute class regularly. Now, I don't and wouldn't tell anyone in person that I'm a former member unless they flat out asked me but no one cares that I'm not a member. They just assume I'm an investigator or lds and that is fine by me. There is no reason for you to label yourself as a former member. If people ask, you can tell them but don't feel compelled to go into or explain more than you're comfortable with. I don't think people are going to judge you as much as you think they are and if they do let them. Be the example and people will come around. I hope that helps you.

Just show up to church. The Bishop may want to get to know you as you start regularly attending. Then, you can let the Bishop know your particular situation. Things may not happen quickly though. There may be a waiting period and some interviews to explore your original decision to have your name removed. Then, you will be re-baptized. Your heart is in the right place now... so it is now a matter of just showing up to church.

Thank you.

Hello, I also have been inactive for about 30 years, I went back to church for the first time last Sunday. My husband is still inactive currently, I pray that will change and none of my children are interested in the church.

When I went by myself last Sunday it was Fast and Testimony meeting, I took the Sacrement for the first time in all that time and then I was prompted by the Spirit to give my testimony.

Everyone was loving and inviting. Now my situation was a bit different in that over all that 30 years my testimony never wavered, I knew the church was true I was just lazy and used other excuses not to go or to live worthily. I even had my records follow me as we moved around even though I never went to meetings.

I can assure you that you will be welcomed with open arms. If it makes you more comfortable meet with the Bishop first, but you certainly don't have too.

As for re-joining, again speak to the Bishop but if you just asked to have your names removed from the rolls, that is not the same as being excomunicated, that is when you need to be rebaptized. I expect your records were simply sent to Salt Lake for safe keeping, and that what is required now is for the you and your family to repent and start living the gospel and keeping your covenants, and see if the Ward Clerk can obtain your records. If anything else is required again the Bishop will be the one to tell you.

I feel greatly edified reading this particular thread. I am trying to hold back my tears as I know that all of God's children are loved by Him. Let me share with you a parable.

Matthew 20

1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

As for re-joining, again speak to the Bishop but if you just asked to have your names removed from the rolls, that is not the same as being excomunicated, that is when you need to be rebaptized. I expect your records were simply sent to Salt Lake for safe keeping, and that what is required now is for the you and your family to repent and start living the gospel and keeping your covenants, and see if the Ward Clerk can obtain your records. If anything else is required again the Bishop will be the one to tell you.

Thank you for this information!! And thank you for sharing your story and experience, I really appreciate it! :)

I know your question has already been answered, but I do have an experience from my mission I'd like to share. I taught a family that was excommunicated (just a husband and wife). Missionaries prior to me found them tracting, and it turned out they were in the right place in the right time, as they were wondering about the same things you are. So, we began to teach them (it helped that the wife loved to cook, so our lessons usually were also lunches. :P ). It went really well, and me and my companion helped them feel welcome at church just like we would any new convert. They were a little worried about the rebaptism thing, though: they just wanted to seem (to the ward) like they were just less-active members coming back to church. So, what we did was this: we had on their request a very private baptism ceremony at the church, consisting of just them, me and my companion, and the bishop. Nobody else knew about it. With that weight off their shoulders (and the help of the Holy Ghost) they were able to really excel in the ward.

So, my point is to have the missionaries come teach you (if the Bishop approves, of course). Not only do they love teaching people, they're experts at helping new members come into the ward and helping them feel welcome and not awkward. :)

I am pretty sure you will have to be rebaptized. That is the reason the church put up some "hoops" to jump through before having your name removed. Usually the church will request you meet with the Bishop before he pushes through the name removal to inform you of the seriousness of your decision... that all covenants and the accompanying blessings are removed.

I am pretty sure you will have to be rebaptized. That is the reason the church put up some "hoops" to jump through before having your name removed. Usually the church will request you meet with the Bishop before he pushes through the name removal to inform you of the seriousness of your decision... that all covenants and the accompanying blessings are removed.

I wish he would have met with us, but he didn't. We were in a new area and had never been to the ward, and he just sent us a letter saying that he got our letter and would take care of it. Wish now that we had made different decisions. :(