BYU now allows students to morally advocate for themselves and their LGBT peers.

believer

This happened in February of 2011 so everyone is up to date. BYU has removed it's ban on moral advocacy for LGBT people or Same Gender Attraction.

Here is Brad whom the church is pleased with who has written a new book Homosexuality: A Straight BYU students perspective.

BYU: Biology Student Brad Carmack

Guest gopecon

So it's now okay to advocate for things that are contradicted by official statements from the Brethren? Maybe I'm not clear on what moral advocacy is, but this sounds dangerously like apostacy.

"Moral case for LDS same sex marriage" just the title is obviously against main stream LDS beliefs.

Marriage is between a husband and a wife. A man and a women. (Proclamation to the family which is doctrine.)

Therefore this is against LDS doctrine.

Here is Brad whom the church is pleased with who has written a new book Homosexuality: A Straight BYU students perspective.

Where is this quoted? lds.org? Honestly. "the church is pleased" you can't just throw that out without having a quote of somesort.

"Moral case for LDS same sex marriage" just the title is obviously against main stream LDS beliefs.

Marriage is between a husband and a wife. A man and a women. (Proclamation to the family which is doctrine.)

Therefore this is against LDS doctrine.

Where is this quoted? lds.org? Honestly. "the church is pleased" you can't just throw that out without having a quote of somesort.

Apparently "the church is pleased" with any BYU student, and so that student's writings can rightly be interpreted as having the sanction of the Church at large.

What's so hard about understanding that kind of logic? :D

Apparently "the church is pleased" with any BYU student, and so that student's writings can rightly be interpreted as having the sanction of the Church at large.

What's so hard about understanding that kind of logic? :D

Alternatively we have:

1) He's on Youtube.

2) He's not excommunicated.

Ergo the Church approves/is pleased.

He could be. It's not like excommunicated members have a list thats passed around.

True, though if he's an actual and current student (don't know if he is) I would expect excommunication to result in a withdrawal of his ecclesiastical endorsement.

...or is merely biding their time before the human sacrifice...

Presumably by throwing him into a gelatin volcano?

I can't watch youtube while at work. I'm curious though, is there some sort of news announcement from BYU or the LDS church on this ban that happened in February 2011?

Come now, you don't believe everyone on the internet armed with a claim and a YouTube video? For shame.

I wasn't aware there was a ban on moral advocacy at all. What exactly does that mean?

I listened to about a minute of the video, and got the answer. The author/student is arguing that moral imperative sometimes outweighs "law." He uses the example of the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve had the law, not to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Nevertheless, they had the moral imperative to win our free agency, and so violated the law.

Not sure how he's going to argue that homosexuals have a moral imperative that outweighs law, but it sounds like that is where he is going.

I'll confess I've always struggled with the LDS perspective on the Garden of Eden...perhaps this kind of thinking is why...

OFF TOPIC-

It can be. Got that honey-do list done yet? :P

Yep. The left over pork steaks and rutabaga is reheating in the Crock-pot as I type.

Oh, Beefche, so not fair - you have a honey who really does do the Honey-Do's!! A N D cooks as well.

Oh, so not fair!! You lucky gal!:lol:

Dravin, I miss rutabaga's- Husband will only eat them in stews. sigh Time to get the soup pot out and start making stews and hearty soups.

Dravin, I miss rutabaga's- Husband will only eat them in stews. sigh Time to get the soup pot out and start making stews and hearty soups.

I was introduced to them in Dublin of all places, they were part of a veggie medley at a restaurant we ate at. The rutabagas in the dish are effectively part of a stew, it's a dish consisting of pork steaks placed over cut up rutabagas (the recipe calls for potatoes but Beefche isn't the biggest fan of potatoes), sliced onion, and tomato sauce with oregano, paprika and some cayenne for heat (salt and pepper are also involved of course). I loved how it turned out, the sweetness of the rutabagas leeched into the sauce and helped give it a sweet and spicy flavor (and of course a bit of the spice got into the rutabagas to the same effect).

My preferred method for rutabaga cooking is to toss them in a little olive oil and roast them in the oven with a little salt and pepper. You get a wonderful concentration of flavors that way. Heck, first time I did that I ended up eating a bowl of left over roasted rutabaga for lunch. :D

So now that we know what's for dinner, are you sharing? I can get there fast, I speed!

First .netter who makes it here gets to partake in dinner, assuming there is enough left over. It is night two.

Edited by Dravin

The rutabagas in the dish are effectively part of a stew, it's a dish consisting of pork steaks placed over cut up rutabagas (the recipe calls for potatoes but Beefche isn't the biggest fan of potatoes), sliced onion, and tomato sauce with oregano, paprika and some cayenne for heat (salt and pepper are also involved of course).

My preferred method for rutabaga cooking is to toss them in a little olive oil and roast them in the oven with a little salt and pepper. I did that I ended up eating a bowl of left over roasted rutabaga for lunch. :D

Mmmmmm, sounds so good! I have pork loin medallions in the freezer- next trip to the store I'll get some RudyBeggars (that's what I called them as a child) and do them in the crock pot. Mom boiled and mashed them or tossed them into stews and hearty soups. Grandma grew them in the back yard along with other veggies. Us kids were NOT allowed near the Kitchen Garden so I don't know what all else she grew.

Mmmmmm, sounds so good! I have pork loin medallions in the freezer- next trip to the store I'll get some RudyBeggars (that's what I called them as a child) and do them in the crock pot. Mom boiled and mashed them or tossed them into stews and hearty soups. Grandma grew them in the back yard along with other veggies. Us kids were NOT allowed near the Kitchen Garden so I don't know what all else she grew.

Hmmmm....maybe you weren't allowed by the garden for a reson. DId you ever have "Grandma's SPecial Brownies?" Just kidding!! No offense to g-ma!! I just couldn't resist. :D