Moroni 9:9?

Guest talianstallyun

Guest talianstallyun

I came across a scripture in the BoM that I understood for the most part, but I'm not sure I fully get it. It concerns me because I think it is something that all members of the church should have a sound understanding of.

The scripture is Moroni 9:9. Mormon states that chastity and virtue are "most dear and precious above all things." My question: why? It's a very significant statement. I have a good idea, but what are the core doctrinal reasons why, so that I can't misunderstand?

Please note the context of the scripture before answering. I think it is important to recognize these two points...

1) This deprivation of chastity and virtue was not the fault of these women. This scripture alludes to the awful reality that these women were victims of a terrible crime.

2) These Lamanite women were not members of the church and had yet to make saving covenants with God. This is 400 AD and the church was not really operating. The Lamanites, as a whole, had not been righteous for about 200 years.

Part of my concern is that I have some non-member friends who don't exactly live virtuous lives, but if they were to accept the gospel, I don't think they would have a ton of trouble adjusting to living the law of chastity. Also, their lack of virtue doesn't have the same spiritually destructive effects for them as it would for a member of the church who has made covenants, is held more accountable, and actually loses the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I dont' fully understand how even for people like my friends, who are on a much more neutral ground spiritually than I am, virtue is "most dear and precious above all things." I'd really like to understand though because it sounds important and I believe it will inspire me to be more virtuous.

Thank you in advance for your comments and responses. Any other scriptures or quotes from general authorities that help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are so wonderful who give of their time to help people like me figure out these things. The question may sound trivial, but it really does concern me a lot. I posted a question similar to this a few weeks ago that I still haven't figured out. I think the questions are related. Thanks again.

Spencer W. Kimball

“The strengthening of family ties should become a rallying cry for Latter-day Saint families everywhere. So also should a return to chastity, our most valuable possession. Chastity and virtue are most dear and precious above all things’ (Moro. 9:9), more valuable than rubies or diamonds, than herds and flocks, than gold and silver, or than automobiles and land. But, sadly, in many cases they are on sale at the cheapest shops and at the cheapest prices.” (Ensign, Nov. 1979, “We Need a Listening Ear”)

Neal A. Maxwell

“When we think of this constellation of reasons (why the Church is constantly concerned with freedom from sin), we can understand why it is not just recurring rhetoric when prophets like Moroni observe that the loss of chastity is the loss of that which is precious above all things. (See Moroni 9:9.) And why, so many times, the writers of the scriptures, observing their own people's decadence, have equated ripening in iniquity with the spread of fornication and adultery. (See Helaman 8:26.)” (Notwithstanding My Weakness, p. 100)

How glorious and near to the angels is youth that is clean; this youth has joy unspeakable here and eternal happiness hereafter. Sexual purity is youth’s most precious possession; it is the foundation of all righteousness.

Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, April 1942, 89

Guest gopecon

I'll address two points here. One, the taking of "chastity and virtue" from these women is probably just cleaned up language (or perhaps language of the 19th century) for sexual assault and rape. Based on the information provided I don't think that Moroni - or more importantly God - considered them to be at all culpable for the horrible atrocities they were the victims of.

As to your question about virtue and whether it matters...You are correct that a person who has made covenants to God is held to a higher standard than one who has not. That does not mean they are not held to any standard at all. We will be judged according to the light and knowledge that we are given in this life. The prohibition against adultery is one of the 10 commandments. Going back even further, sexual immorality was covered in the Noahide Laws. Traditionally Jews consider anyone who follows the basic Noahide Laws as a righteous person. In other words, sexual morality is a commandment to the world and is expected of everyone. With regard to your friends, they can repent and be forgiven. From what I have seen, all that is required for baptism is a commitment to be chaste going forward (for most issues). The lengthy repentance process that an active member of the Church would go through is not likely to be a problem for someone coming from outside of the Church.

The simple reason I see is because life is the most precious thing we have on earth... or time.

Murder is the taking of life, while sexual relations is the only manner given to create life. Attempting to create life outside the bounds set by God is a severe sin.

I had a longer post with further clarification, but I'll keep it simple.

• 1 month later...

I have a friend who shared some personal insights regarding this topic with me once. She is a therapist who deals with those who have suffered from such abuse.

Even though it happened far in the past, it can be so traumatic as to cause the victim to mentally experience it again and again in a manner so vivid, both waking and sleeping, as to sometimes be indistinguishable from reality.

For some it becomes an opening through which adversarial forces strike similar blows in turn turning their life into a living hell.

Such violent evil acts also leave behind a host of seeds which may grow into the same fruit. This doesn't happen for the majority of those so harmed but many if not the majority of those who so harm were at one point or another victims of the same themselves.

Not to be discounted are the degrading feelings of filthiness that come from such violations. Even though a victim may know that it wasn't their fault and that they are blameless, they will nevertheless struggle, perhaps their entire lives, with feelings of guilt, shame and feeling dirty or worthless.

We know that part of the repentance process is restitution. If you steal it is fairly easy to provide a full restitution. Not so with rape and molestation. The effects upon the mind body and spirit of those whose chastity is forcibly taken from them is so immense that there is no possible way for an equal restitution to be made by the sinner who in turn having done what they 'can do' ultimately must rely upon the grace of Christ to make up for the difference.

The scripture above is even for those whose chastity is lost without force. Each act is like taking a searing iron to your capacity to feel the Holy Ghost. I believe such desensitization is of a greater duration than anything else excluding murder.

Once lost, you could also perhaps equate it with sending a man into a battlefield without his armor. I believe ALL of the adversarial darts penetrate that much more easily than they otherwise would. This would be true regardless of whether or not it was voluntary.

When you steal from a man you steal something that can be replaced. You cannot restore someone their chastity and in so doing you place them in a position where the adversary has greater power over them.

Also to be noted is the difficulty victims of such abuse find in forgiving the one who attacked them. We are taught by the scriptures that we must forgive or ours is the greater sin. Does not placing another in such a position not magnify the seriousness? For if a victim can not forgive, then they too are guilty of sin second only to murder.

Can you begin to comprehend the gravity of such sins yet?

Edited by Martain

Part of my concern is that I have some non-member friends who don't exactly live virtuous lives, but if they were to accept the gospel, I don't think they would have a ton of trouble adjusting to living the law of chastity. Also, their lack of virtue doesn't have the same spiritually destructive effects for them as it would for a member of the church who has made covenants, is held more accountable, and actually loses the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I dont' fully understand how even for people like my friends, who are on a much more neutral ground spiritually than I am, virtue is "most dear and precious above all things." I'd really like to understand though because it sounds important and I believe it will inspire me to be more virtuous.

"...and after depriving them of that which was most dear and precious above all things, which is chastity and virtue— And after they had done this thing, they did murder them in a most cruel manner, torturing their bodies even unto death;" (Moroni 9:9)

Mormon is describing the sacred powers of procreation, and the chastity of women, as God sees it, not necessarily as your friends would currently see it. Of course in Moroni 9:9 very gruesome acts are depicted, which are perpetuated against unwilling individuals, but in the case of your friends, their virtue is important to God whether it is important to your friends or not.

"For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts." (Jacob 2:28)

Though God is pleased in the chastity of men as well, I think he is especially concerned with women who are often the recipients of abuse and exploitation.

Regards,

Vanhin