Foriegn exchange to Mexico/TESOL certification

lizzy16

So, I'm sitting in my dorm room really excited about this foreign exchange program. I've already talked to my roommate about it and I sent my mom a message on facebook about it after she wasn't anwsering the phone. And plan on calling her tomorrow.

Basically BYU-Idaho is partnering with this exchange program that costs the same as tuition/living here. The price is really great and affordable. It's a 16 week program and I'd be able to finish my TESOL certification. My minor is TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language.) My fall semester at BYU-Idaho could be spent immersed in Spanish culture.

I really feel like this is right for me. After counseling with my parents, prayer and a few weeks of thought I'm going to make a decision.

I don't often get this way. I'm not someone who heres about something and instantly wants to do it. Or someone who wants to try all sorts of things ect.

Anyways. My roommates sick of me talking about it.

I'd be in Tehuacan or Puebla. And, the website specifically says church is available including LDS services. I looked up the ward information for both places and theres a few wards in both places.

So, I'm sitting in my dorm room really excited about this foreign exchange program. I've already talked to my roommate about it and I sent my mom a message on facebook about it after she wasn't anwsering the phone. And plan on calling her tomorrow.

Basically BYU-Idaho is partnering with this exchange program that costs the same as tuition/living here. The price is really great and affordable. It's a 16 week program and I'd be able to finish my TESOL certification. My minor is TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language.) My fall semester at BYU-Idaho could be spent immersed in Spanish culture.

I really feel like this is right for me. After counseling with my parents, prayer and a few weeks of thought I'm going to make a decision.

I don't often get this way. I'm not someone who heres about something and instantly wants to do it. Or someone who wants to try all sorts of things ect.

Anyways. My roommates sick of me talking about it.

I'd be in Tehuacan or Puebla. And, the website specifically says church is available including LDS services. I looked up the ward information for both places and theres a few wards in both places.

Very cool!

At the end of 1986 I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle ligaments and missed the first half of BYU's winter semester. I came back in at mid-semester, and since none of my major classes were being offered starting then, I opted to spend six weeks in an intensive Spanish study in Hermosillo, Mexico. It was a great deal of fun, lifechanging in some ways, and I learned to speak Spanish quite tolerably well (though it badly messed up my Italian for a few months). I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, and would encourage anyone else who thought s/he might enjoy such an experience to do the same. I say go for it.

Last I checked Mexico is chock full of Mexican culture, if you want Spanish culture you'll probably need to go to Spain. It is chock full of a Spanish speaking culture though. :P

Well, Mexican culture is a lot closer than one would think, and the language is farther

apart!:D

Just got back from Spain, and though I'm a fluent Spanish speaker at times I felt the need of a dictionary to translate the menu! The tortillas are not the same...................:(

Hidden

Just got back from Spain, and though I'm a fluent Spanish speaker at times I felt the need of a dictionary to translate the menu! The tortillas are not the same...................:(

I underthtand the Thpanish they thpeak in Thpain ith thomewhate diththimilar to the Thpanish thpoken in the You Eth. Ith thith the cathe?

Mexico is fabulous ... my folks spent their last mission in the Cuernavaca Mission. However of serious concern right now is the saftey factor. Mexico is not safe ... for anyone at this time and north Americans are especially at risk. Check everything out very carefully from a safety stand point and then if you decide to go make a plan to not be on the streets alone and never out after dark. It is sad that these wonderful people are living in such fear. I have a friend who's daughter married a guy from Curenavaca ... they went for a wedding fiesta thinking all was well, they came back with horror stories and word that the locals are for the most part scared to death. Their hostess did allow them out of the house alone at any time.